Author Topic: A house through time TV  (Read 2890 times)

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: A house through time TV
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 May 20 02:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting reminder for this programme...
Did catch it briefly but missed when the start date was..
I enjoyed the previous series..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 May 20 10:29 BST (UK) »
Something to look forward to!!  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 15:56 BST (UK) »
Obviously very similar format and presentation to the earlier ones, the presenter has really found his style now, and it works. Enjoyed it last evening - and I'd actually remembered to record it, in case I forgot!
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Old Bristolian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stephen Bumstead 1844-1903
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 16:16 BST (UK) »
Obviously it's of special interest to us Bristolians. I thought it was well presented and held interest throughout - not something most documentaries manage these days. I'm looking forward to the next episode as I have ancestors who lived at no. 14, Guinea Street, a few doors away, in the 1870s, and they weren't involved in the slave trade!
Bumstead - London, Suffolk
Plant, Woolnough, Wase, Suffolk
Flexney, Godfrey, Burson, Hobby -  Oxfordshire
Street, Mitchell - Gloucestershire
Horwood, Heale Drew - Bristol
Gibbs, Gait, Noyes, Peters, Padfield, Board, York, Rogers, Horler, Heale, Emery, Clavey, Mogg, - Somerset
Fook, Snell - Devon
M(a)cDonald, Yuell, Gollan, McKenzie - Rosshire
McLennan, Mackintosh - Inverness
Williams, Jones - Angelsey & Caernarvon
Campbell, McMartin, McLellan, McKercher, Perthshire

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 16:20 BST (UK) »
I really enjoyed the start of this series too... we have close associations with Bristol and surrounds.
How wonderful OB to have ancestors who lived in the same street!
I had read somewhere that this was the best series so far ....
They must have lots/good researchers to be able to dig out all those wonderful documents .... wish it was the same for us mere mortals!
Looking forward to the coming episodes. I do like David Olusoga and think he's really at ease with the subjects and puts it over well..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 16:33 BST (UK) »
He's grown on me a great deal since the first series - far more comfortable in his role now.
-And don't we all wish we could find those elusive people we "need" to document in our trees?
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline PrawnCocktail

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 18:22 BST (UK) »
I found someone last night  not in Bristol, but in Liverpool.  :o :o

I have an ancestor living in Liverpool who was described  as "Captain" when his wife obtained an Admon after he died.

I hadn't met the Slavevoyages database before it was featured last night, so I had a look, and plugged my ancestor's name into it on the off-chance. And there he was! He made two trips out of Liverpool to Nigeria, before heading across the Atlantic, and then home, before he must have died in 1775 (no burial - was he shipwrecked?). The ship was owned by several men, amongst whom was Bryan Blundell, who founded the Bluecoat School in Liverpool.

Not too sure what I think of this, and it was a bit of a shock! I'd been thinking he probably had a small coastal tramp, but no.

Still doesn't help to find where he came from, though!
Website: http://freepages.rootsweb.com/~towcesterfamilies/genealogy/
Towcester - anything, any time
Cheshire - Lambert, Houghland, Birtwisle
Liverpool - Platt, Cunningham, Ditton
London - Notley, Elsom, Billett
Oxfordshire - Hitchcock, Smith, Leonard, Taunt
Durham - Hepburn, Eltringham
Berwickshire - Guthrie, Crawford
Somerset - Taylor (Bath)
Gloucestershire - Verrinder, Colborn
Dorset - Westlake

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 20:21 BST (UK) »
Yes, enjoyable and interesting. There was a sugarhouse in Guinea St either side of 1800 and I'm wondering if the names Fedden and/or Rankin may get a mention next week.

Pity the design historian introduced the sugar loaf as a sugar cone ! It would have been made in Bristol from the imported raw sugar. A sugar loaf of that small size would have been pure white, of the highest quality and very expensive.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Online Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 28 May 20 11:51 BST (UK) »
It is surprising who was involved in the Slave Trade.
The lovely  Hymn, Amazing Grace was written by by John Newton ,who had a revelation so to speak, but he was a trader and perhaps someone  could give the correct info but I feel he was still involved when he wrote the hymn.
The sad ,tragic, thing is trading in  slaves, owning them ,was not seen as anything wrong by many,especially if they gained by it.
Viktoria.