Author Topic: A house through time TV  (Read 2889 times)

Offline Marmaduke 123

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: A house through time TV
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 28 May 20 13:28 BST (UK) »
I enjoyed this too!

I wonder how the houses with such interesting occupants are identified? I  imagine there must be an enormous amount of research into lots of houses before one with a series of noteworthy occupants is found. Or is previous house history research by individuals used to identify a few possibilities?

Does anyone know?
Halifax/Huddersfield area West Yorkshire
Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire, Berkshire and nearby areas.
Bilcliffe one name study all areas.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 28 May 20 13:48 BST (UK) »
“First we do some very basic research,” says Olusoga. “We read some local history books, we talk to local historians, we visit the archives. And then we start to try to pinpoint parts of the city that have older housing stock and then we literally put leaflets through people’s doors asking, ‘Would you be interested in taking part?’  It was then a question of weighing up the pros and cons of the various properties before picking a winner.”
from an interview in the Daily Telegraph

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 12:30 BST (UK) »
I am so enjoying this series again. The information discovered is so interesting. Mr. Olusoga explains things clearly and carefully so that even amateurs into family history can follow the story. Sadly, my OH did fall asleep but that is not unusual. The programme has been assembled in a very professional manner and I do so enjoy the historic documents and supporting photographs.

Judy
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 03 June 20 15:41 BST (UK) »
It is easy to understand and at a pace which allows me to digest facts before others are brought up.
He is a very pleasant presenter ,nice voice and no irritating mannerisms.
How painful though for him given slavery has played such a part in the history of the house.
Viktoria.

Online sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 16 June 20 18:42 BST (UK) »
There was a sugarhouse in Guinea St either side of 1800 and I'm wondering if the names Fedden and/or Rankin may get a mention next week.

Those names were not mentioned in the second episode, however the name Thomas L Vining was listed in connection with 10 Guinea St in 1797. Further research on the other thread referring to this programme  https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=832698.0  has shown that Thomas Vining (1742-1824) was a grocer and sugar refiner in Bristol, and along with his sons ran a sugarhouse there until 1819, though not in Guinea St.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017