Author Topic: St Catherine Street, Gloucester.  (Read 493 times)

Offline Minsterworth Lad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Catherine Street, Gloucester.
« on: Saturday 16 May 20 01:17 BST (UK) »
Hi, Roots Chat, from Australia
It has been several years since I last entered this Forum and I thank members for your wealth of information.
My question, this time, is to do with an attempt to pinpoint the exact location of my Great Grandfather's family home at 77 St Catherine St, Gloucester, during the late C19 and early C20.
House number 77 does not appear on modern maps. The NW, or Deans Walk, end of St Catherine St appears to now end at number 67 or 69.
I understand that this is most likely as a result of either re-numbering, or demolition and re-development, but would love to know exactly where number 77 was located.
I have compared Census Enumerator's Walks with the Hereditment numbers within the 1909 Lloyd George survey (in which number 77 is not mentioned) and feel that it must have been somewhere in the vicinity of what is now numbers 65 to 69.
I am wondering if someone with local knowledge may have the answer, please?
Thank you very much ... cheers to all ... John.
Amphlett, Dancer, Lamb.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Catherine Street, Gloucester.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 May 20 02:32 BST (UK) »
It looks as though st Catherine’s street used to veer under the railway line, and a couple more buildings there

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101453172

St Catherine street itself is not named, look for the great western railway on the extreme left of map.

Offline Minsterworth Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 May 20 05:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Mckha489, for your thought and for your link to the 1903 map. Yes, this is something I had wondered myself - did St Catherine St loop under the railway line? Your suggestion lends strength to this. If so, I wonder if the block of buildings to the SW of the railway line contained number 77?
Also, if our conjecture is correct, what became of these buildings? When?
Food for thought - another option to pursue. Again, thank you.
Amphlett, Dancer, Lamb.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 16 May 20 06:02 BST (UK) »
St Catherine Street seems to have run right down to meet Water Street. It seems that a lot of houses were there before the railway, though I think they may have replaced earlier houses.*

This map may clarify a bit:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.54395065532645&lat=51.86986&lon=-2.24524&layers=168&right=BingHyb

You can change the map series using the pull down box - there seem to have been houses there into the 50s/60s (though I am not sure of the exact date of the maps).

Added:
I found another map which named this row of buildings as St Catherine’s Terrace:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=19.450160354331647&lat=51.86970&lon=-2.24642&layers=168&right=BingHyb

If you can locate this on one of the censuses it may help if it is near No 77.

Also there is an unnamed a public House under the railway bridge and across the road:
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=20.444832056816146&lat=51.87002&lon=-2.24618&layers=168&right=BingHyb

If you can work follow the enumerator’s walk using landmarks as a guide, you might have some success.

Good luck.  ;)

* some early maps here which may indicate that earlier houses were smaller http://www.historictownsatlas.org.uk/atlas/volume-i/historic-towns/gloucester

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 May 20 06:25 BST (UK) »
Enter Gloucester and scroll down to see the 1955 OS plan - number 77 is marked:

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/

It is the house closest to the railway line.  :)

Have a look at the other maps on old maps.co.uk which show that it still appears to be there in 1975 .... one 1990 maps seems to show it, but on the 1990-1994 map it has gone - probably demolished for Gouda Way?

Offline Minsterworth Lad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 May 20 06:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you. Ruskie, for your detailed and most rewarding responses and your generous links.
Looking at the (now pedestrian) underpass from Deans Walk in the direction of Gouda St, everything you suggest fits perfectly. I will now enjoy looking into exactly when these houses were demolished to accommodate the creation of Gouda Way as part of the "A" road.
I will also pursue the fate of the Vinegar, Jam and Pickle factory at the Skinner St end of St Catherine St, as both of my Great Grandparents were employed there for a good many years.
I am extremely grateful to you, and to Mckha489, for investing your time in providing me with my long sought after solution.
Best wishes ... John
Amphlett, Dancer, Lamb.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 May 20 14:49 BST (UK) »
You are most welcome John. After Mckha489 suggested that the houses continued beyond the rail line, it was fairly plain sailing.

It is a bit sad that the house is gone.