Author Topic: Where is Upper Auchenvey in Kirkcudbrightshire.  (Read 1736 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Upper Auchenvey in Kirkcudbrightshire.
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 16 May 20 09:56 BST (UK) »
Rocky heathy pasture I think Gadget?

Skoosh.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 16 May 20 10:03 BST (UK) »
Other refs suggest that it was there in 1851, so it must be on one of the maps.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 16 May 20 10:20 BST (UK) »
There's a wee track that meanders from Auchenvey to the Auchenvey burn, It runs between White Hill and Auchenvey Hill. I'm wondering if it's around there. The map is 1895 so maybe too recent.

It's on the 25 ins map

https://maps.nls.uk/view/82889286#zoom=3&lat=6467&lon=8269&layers=BT

Added  tongue in cheek - I wonder if the Wilsons were related to my Wilsons who frequented Glenlaggan and Dullarg ;D
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 16 May 20 10:41 BST (UK) »
Reading the full description I think Auchenvey is the farm house and Upper A is the farm land attached:

'Auchenvey and Upper A - A farm house and offices all of which is in bad repair with a farm of land attached . Most of which is Rocky heathy pasture in the occupation of Wm Wilson and property of Major Fletcher of Casock(?Cassock) '

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 16 May 20 11:02 BST (UK) »
Looks as if the description, albeit opposite Upper Auchenvey, is part of the description for Auchenvey.

Proprietor is Fletcher of Corsock.

I take no credit for deciphering it - on the Scotland's Places web site, if you scroll down below the page images there is a transcription of the information on the page.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Hendo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 16 May 20 11:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for you very prompt replies & suggestions Kay 99, Skoosh, Gadget & Forfarian.  I will follow all your advice & the links provided.  Pleased to see that some names are familiar from the last time I logged, on a few years ago.  Thanks again for the advice.
Best regards
Hendo
Henderson, Cunningham, McNaught, Chartres, Lilburne, Porteous, Higham, Saw

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 16 May 20 11:16 BST (UK) »
Looks as if the description, albeit opposite Upper Auchenvey, is part of the description for Auchenvey.

Proprietor is Fletcher of Corsock.

I take no credit for deciphering it - on the Scotland's Places web site, if you scroll down below the page images there is a transcription of the information on the page.

I gave the transcription just before your reply, Forfarian. I think you might have missed it.  I'm so glad we agree  ;D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 16 May 20 11:21 BST (UK) »
Hendo-  I remember you from ages ago. We  had discussions about Parton records then  ;D

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 16 May 20 20:34 BST (UK) »
Just found a mention of Auchinvey on an early Land Tax Roll

The lands of Auchinvey is worth to him yearly Fifty five pounds  (my translation/transcription  ;D )

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/historical-tax-rolls/land-tax-rolls-1645-1831/land-tax-rolls-kirkcudbrightshire-volume-01/14

Also James Robison in the Farm Horse Tax Rolls:

https://scotlandsplaces.gov.uk/digital-volumes/historical-tax-rolls/farm-horse-tax-rolls-1797-1798/farm-horse-tax-1797-1798-volume-03/224