Author Topic: Summer holidays - will they be possible?  (Read 3333 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Summer holidays - will they be possible?
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 31 May 20 01:06 BST (UK) »

She’s a Registered Veterinary Nurse and loves her job, but has just told us that they’re struggling to obtain gloves. It’s not thought that animals play a significant part in transmission of Covid19, but precautions must be taken. She’s probably the most sensible level headed one of us all, but even she is struggling.

A vet phoned in to "Any Answers" after Saturday afternoon repeat of Any Questions. He said that it's difficult to maintain distance from colleagues.
Cowban

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 31 May 20 20:32 BST (UK) »
Today, at this time, Mrs Llwyd and I should be sailing along the English Channel heading for the Baltic; a sixteen day cruise with a well known "British" cruise line. We're still waiting for our money back but it does seem to be on the way. However, I fully appreciate we are talking thousands of people who have been affected.
We also have a week booked in July at our favourite B and B, with daughter and granddaughter, on the west coast near Aberteifi (Cardigan). Not sure we'll make that either.  :(
 :)

Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 31 May 20 20:41 BST (UK) »

We also have a week booked in July at our favourite B and B, with daughter and granddaughter, on the west coast near Aberteifi (Cardigan). Not sure we'll make that either.  :(
 :)

Not sure about in Wales but hotels in England seem to think they will probably be able to open from the 4th July. I suppose a lot will depend whether the establishment can stick to social distancing when it comes to meals.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 31 May 20 20:45 BST (UK) »
Don't think I'll doing my planned trip to Asturias this year! :'(

Our borders are still closed, and don't look like opening soon - far too much infection across the water in England! :D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 31 May 20 21:03 BST (UK) »

Our borders are still closed, and don't look like opening soon - far too much infection across the water in England! :D

Will you be letting in people from the other island soon, the one to the west? We could go the long way round and sneak in the back door.
I'll be content to visit my nearest island. Lovely view across the bay last night.
Cowban

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 31 May 20 22:55 BST (UK) »
I don't think I'd find much enjoyment in holidays with social distancing as none of the people I go on holiday with are from my household. Can you imagine sitting with friends at individual tables for a meal or a drink?!!
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 01 June 20 01:13 BST (UK) »
I don't think I'd find much enjoyment in holidays with social distancing as none of the people I go on holiday with are from my household. Can you imagine sitting with friends at individual tables for a meal or a drink?!!

That's how the Clifton family of Lytham Hall in Lancashire used to dine when Evelyn Waugh, a friend of the elder son visited.
Cowban

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 01 June 20 09:10 BST (UK) »
We have a 4 night break booked in Peak District in early June. We are only being offered re-booking not refund. The hotel is closed and cannot fulfil their contract. Surely they are breaking the law not to refund our money. Any lawyers out there?

Not necessarily, if a contract becomes impossible to perform, or can only be performed illegally, it is considered “frustrated”.

The problem is the Hotel is still there and still has to meet its overheads, the 2020 coronavirus legislation has forced it to shut its doors therefore the situation is not of their making.
They are therefore losing out and their customers are also losing out but neither you or the hotel are at fault.
They could claim if they refunded the booked rooms they would go bankrupt, and have to terminate their staff's contracts and close meaning their customers may not get anything back, and that by offering a re-booking they are cutting the losses of not only their customers but their staff and themselves.

My suggestion would be to think about re-booking but if that is not possible due to your circumstances try for a refund but be prepared to explain why re-booking is not an alternative for you.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 01 June 20 09:20 BST (UK) »
We booked the hotel in that location to attend an event which has now of course been cancelled, so rebooking at a later date isn't much use to us. 
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott