Author Topic: Re: McDaid family Buncrana/Derry  (Read 644 times)

Offline Jeri Werner Freckleton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McDaid family Buncrana/Derry
« on: Wednesday 06 May 20 03:39 BST (UK) »
Hi I am new to rootschat and have been reading the posts on the McDaid/McDevitt families (see this thread https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=165803.0).

We are searching for our relatives in Moville Donegal. We know the father was William(or Ptrick or Philip) born in the early 1800s.  He was married to Mary. We know of 3 children: Daniel James born 1839, Denis born abt 1842 and Anna born 1952-1955. These 3 siblings came to the U.S. We are trying to find the Father and Mother and the rest of the family. Anna's death certificate lists Moville as her birth place. Is anyone familiar with this family? There are no church records online for this time period or census records. We are stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Re: McDaid family Buncrana/Derry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 May 20 05:16 BST (UK) »
I dont know whether anyone can tie in the link with this but I also have Mcdaid /McDevitt ancestors from Buncrana area. My father is a 93 year old McDaid from Urrismenagh, Clonmany.  I have had his DNA tested which has evidenced ancestors from Buncrana and elsewhere. I have been contacted by distant relatives in the USA who have an DNA commonality with my father i.e. we are related "way back when".
Basically the Grandfather of a relative now living in Butte , Montana USA was Owen Francis Mcdaid (McDevitt) born Buncrana 1883 ( I am not sure how they have) verified this birth?. His father was John William McDaid Buncrana 1860 and His father Neil Joseph b. 1828. His father possibly John b. abt. 1809.
Does tis ring any bells?

We are McDedes from Montana. We are descendants of Daniel James McDede (Mcdaid) that came to the U.S. from Moville Donegal. He was born in 1839 and his parents were William Patrick(Phillip) and Mary. We know of two sibings: Anna McDaid born 1852 or 1855 and Denis McDaid born 1842. Are you familiar with this family?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Re: McDaid family Buncrana/Derry
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 May 20 05:27 BST (UK) »
We are not sure of Marys maiden name but I did see some church records which lists a Mary Gilespy married to William McDaid in Moville. So that is a possibility.