Author Topic: Bleddyn ap Mynarch and Llanfihangel Nant Bran  (Read 911 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Bleddyn ap Mynarch and Llanfihangel Nant Bran
« on: Sunday 17 May 20 03:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have been wandering through some of the Ancestry family Trees, particularly those of Cantref Selyf in Breconshire. A Y-DNA colleague is convinced that he has found a group of FTDNA kits (including mine) that indicate a common ancestor of Bleddyn ap Maenarch who was killed at Battle Breconshire in the 11th Century by Bernard Neufmarch, an Norman invader. Bleddyn had a brother Drymbenog ap Maenarch, who was granted "Lordship" over Cantref Selyf after the defeat. As Cantref Selyf includes the Eppynt as well as Llanfihangel Nant Bran (where my family came from) I decided to check some lineages, starting with Drynbenog, published by Ancestry.
To my enormous surprise I found a line from him to Dafydd ap Rhys son of Rhys ap Owen, about 1500 AD (where the Ancestry line stops) who was living in Llanfihangel Nant Bran. Another one, Dafydd ap Rhys, son of Rhys ap Gruffydd was living in "Garth" Llandeilo'r fan, the adjacent Parish.
I have done a lot of research on my family in Llanfihangel Nant Bran, and found absolutely no connections to Bleddyn ap Maenarch, except for this Y-DNA evidence.
There are a lot of other references to people living in Llywel, Devynnock, Trallong, etc.
However, they all stop short around 1500, and the Welsh patronymic naming conventions don't help tracing any families to the modern age.
Does anyone on Rootschat know of anyone who claims a family descended from Bleddyn ap Maenarch?
Or a Rhys (Price) living in Llafihangel Nant Bran in the 1500s (careful.. the parish included Merthyr Cynog at that time!) Or in Llandeilo'r Fan?
Also, I would really like to hear from anyone who has the haplotype R-S27900 or its descendent  branch R-FGC39559

Thanks again!
Stay safe and Stay well!

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bleddyn ap Mynarch and Llanfihangel Nant Bran
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 May 20 05:38 BST (UK) »
Hello Lianfi [again], the 1500 date rings a bell. Is it not about the time that Surnames came into being? So the old norman/welsh names may have disappeared in the gradual change over? Just a thought.

Cheers
Jack Gee
CECIL - DNA, GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,HARVEY,ALLEN.

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
Re: Bleddyn ap Mynarch and Llanfihangel Nant Bran
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 May 20 21:21 BST (UK) »
Hello Jack!
I hope this reaches you well and in good spirits!

Here is the succession:
Moreddig "Warwyn" ap Drymbenog ap Bleddyn
Llewellyn ap Morridig 1154-
Gwygon ap Llewellyn
Hywel ap Gwygon
Hywel Ddu ap Hywell
Trahearn ap Hywel
Philip ap Traehern
Phillip "Fychan" ap Phillip
Morgan ap Meredud
Dafydd ap Morgan 1394-
Gwilym ap Ieuan (Llywel 1420-1477)
Owen ap Rhys
Rhys ap Owen (Llanfihangel Nant Bran)*
Dafydd ap Rhys (Llanfihangell Nant Bran)

* Rhys ap Owen had two brothers Morgan ap Owen and Gwilym ap Owen
and a sister Alice in Llanfihangel Nant Bran
She married (1)  Gwalter (Watkin) Havard of Glyntawe Devynnog and then (2) William Havard of Aberbran (Trallong)

Owen ap Gwilym had a son Gwilym ap Owen
and Rhys ap Owen had two sons Dafydd ap Rhys (who married Margred daughter of Jenkin ap Mereddud of Llanspyddid) and Thomas ap Rhys (married to Rhys ap Richard) both of Llanfihangel Nant Bran

The Havard name is fixed, maybe Morgan and Watkin , but the others seem to be patronymic.

Thanks for your interest!

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser