Author Topic: How far back would 3% Norwegian be?  (Read 6515 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How far back would 3% Norwegian be?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 12:39 BST (UK) »
Wouldn't 3% be 1/32? That would be your great great great grandparents.

Not if it is a cumulation of smaller amounts from many more distant ancestors. Scandinavian DNA in the ethnicity estimates is often identifiable in areas which were settled by Viking raiders.
I have studied many people's results and ancestry to try and make sense of the Sweden/Norway results and it does seem it is delivering some real insight into people from areas of high Viking settlement having a significant % of genes which are more similar to people in Norway or Sweden than, say, to northern Germany, Friesland etc. People with a lot of Yorkshire-Lincolnshire-Norfolk ancestry may have around 10% in total, people from Orkneys very high, up to 30%.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 20:30 BST (UK) »
Family Tree DNA give me 33% "Scandinavian", MyHeritage make it 19.3% but add in bits of Finnish and Baltic which are also "northern".
FTDNA give me 11% Iberian and 3% Jewish diaspora, MyHeritage makes it 6.8% Iberian, 2.1% Italian and tiny amounts of West Africa and Nigeria.

And having traced every branch of my family on both sides back to at least the 1700s, sometimes further back, they are all Scottish or north Northumbrian near the Scottish border or Ulster Presbyterian with Scottish surnames.

One thing that puzzles me is, we are told that you don't inherit DNA from all the ancestors in your family-tree, so for example I may have proven 3 x great-grandparents from the 18th century none of whose DNA has come down to me. So how come I have all that exotic DNA showing up in a test which must go back for hundreds or maybe thousands of years?

Harry

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 21:29 BST (UK) »
FTDNA have not updated their ethnicity estimates for many years and they show very high Scandinavian. They have me at 25% as compared with 2-3% elsewhere. MyHeritage have a major update to their ethnicity estimates scheduled for this year.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 22:42 BST (UK) »
So how come I have all that exotic DNA showing up in a test which must go back for hundreds or maybe thousands of years?

Harry

Because it's not "exotic DNA" it's part of the normal DNA make-up of the population that lives in those areas.