Author Topic: Diary - Sunday 17th May  (Read 996 times)

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary - Sunday 17th May
« on: Monday 18 May 20 06:33 BST (UK) »
I'll start this one off....
think enthusiasm is evaporating as one day blends into another and it's sometimes hard to remember which day it is....
When will we get back to some sort of normal life
See our families and friends ..... and not just virtually
Although thankgoodness we can otherwise life would be more intolerable than it is!
I'm thankful to be able to keep busy and sane making the hospital scrubs...

Today was no different to any other day...
OH up before me reading Sunday papers which are now so thin and mags that come with them also with very little content in them...
Why are we still having one delivered I ask myself..
Well because it's part of our normal Sunday life..
It means the newsagent in the small town it comes from is able to continue working by delivering our papers...

FaceTimed daughter to help me set up a Zoom meeting as not done it before..the boys were all excited as they were getting a picnic ready and then having a bike over to another park..
It means riding along part of the canal.... with a 4 yr old who goes like the clappers on his bike 😱😱
He's had strict instructions apparently to slow down and not wobble!
She sent photos later of them crawling through the long grass pretending to be Lions...
 they're both very blond and their hair has grown quite long so the caption 'Lions in the long grass' seemed very apt!
The little one didn't look soaking wet so looks like, thankfully, he stayed out of the canal!

It was a nice sunny day so sat outside for lunch and a read

The highlight of our day was a Zoom with our friends at 6 pm to raise a glass of bubbly🥂 to celebrate ones 70th birthday....
lovely to see them and catch up
Other friends dad just out of hospital (aged 102) having had surgery on hip/pelvis after a fall!
Friends sister arriving from California in the am, they've organised for her to have swab test then stay in accommodation for 14 days isolation...
What a palaver.. they both looked exhausted

So what am I moping about when I've nothing like that to cope with!
We had nice roast chicken for dinner...
Watched some tv
Early night
The sum total of my day... almost a waste of time really.

See you on the other side

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Sunday 17th May
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 May 20 10:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Caroline.... NOT a total waste of time as you made scrubs, chatted with your daughter + little ones AND bolstered other people's morale.  I am moved to ask what more retired people do in an average day?

Before breakfast I managed to make contact by facetime with one son and family for a chat, and all is well with them. He still has (reduced,) paid employment which is a relief.

It was very sunny down here on the South coast too, and not windy before lunch, so Husband and I walked along the front to the end of Preston beach, where we can often see oyster catchers and usually there are numbers of friendly turnstones who come close expecting handouts.  But it was extremely busy down there, cars parked everywhere and many people painting beach huts or staking out areas of the prom for their personal use.  One chap had parked his Chelsea tractor across the prom and was using the remaining space for getting dressed or worse.... I made a loud comment about selfish parking and he had the brass neck to tell me to go home!!  We make that walk at least once each week, and since March it has been almost deserted, though that made the rule breakers easy to spot, but yesterday was back to tourist season bedlam. 

The food kiosks and car parks are open.  We noticed cleaners at the toilet block so we assume they will be opened again soon. 

Encountered a friend and enjoyed a brief chat.  Picked up some milk on the way back to the flat, and tried to read on the balcony but the wind had picked up and swung round, so it was rather cold to be very pleasant.

Had a facetime chat with other son and family, who were in good spirits having had a more normal weekend, and the employment situation looks set fair for them too. I have endured very little personal contact with my family for years, so to speak with everyone on the same day is almost like having an extra birthday for me.

Another walk in the opposite direction along the front after evening meal and then watched the film: "Guernsey literary and potato peel pie society" which lived up to what I had been told about it. It's about the WWll German occupation, so not entirely uplifting, but well worth watching I thought.

So on the face of it I had a non productive day too, but in between times I received many messages from people who had really enjoyed a funny video I sent around the day before, so I know I brightened up their day. For me that has to be what it's all about.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 May 20 11:15 BST (UK) »
Caroline, I agree with mowsehouse, you've done some very worthwhile things that you can be proud of. Making scrubs is so worthwhile and I'm sure your family and friends love your virtual get togethers, even if they're not ideal. Your posts have been a great support to me when I've often been feeling down, I hope I and the others can return the favour. You've certainly been up early this morning!

Mowsehouse, how infuriating that people have been so selfish and actually stupid in breaking the rules. Unfortunately there will always be people who behave like that but in these times it has such a greater potential impact. An  area of our coast had been selected by the anti vaccine campaign as a venue for one of their gatherings on Saturday, I believe there were a number planned across the country. Utterly utterly selfish. Luckily it seems that the police thwarted their plans before they could get anywhere.

Here's my diary for Sunday:

Had been about to drop off to sleep last night when too many thoughts started crowding my head, couldn't get to sleep and it was after 4am when I finally dropped off. When I woke in the morning I thought it would be really late but it wasn't, but I was still tired and couldn't be bothered to ge up. I laid there for quite a while, somewhere between sleep and wakefulness. I did some thinking and realised I couldn't go on as I had been, getting in such a state every day about my garden. I've been feeling completely powerless, I'm an independent person so that feeling comes hard to me. I decided that I would see my neighbour's vandalism of my plants as an opportunity to make some changes to the look of my garden. Okay, I can't do anything right now and will just have to put up with it but when I'm able to shop for the things I want I'll do so, I'll buy some new plants and make sure she can't access them. I also decided that I won't let her intimidate me by hanging around at the other side of the fence when I'm down the end of the garden. I'll either continue with what I'm doing and try to ignore her or wait till her daughter is there before working at that end of the garden, she's unlikely to come running out when she has company.

Logged onto Rootschat and was warmed by the support I always get.

With that decided I finally got up, very late. Took some of the things I'd quarantined in the garage out of there, gave them a wash despite the length of time they've been there! Wasn't hungry at lunch time so decided to sketch out my new painting.

Had some lunch then eventually went for my walk about 2.30. It was mostly cloudy and quite windy, warmer than I thought but needed a light jacket due to the wind. Usual walk then back home.

Did some more work on my painting, it was relaxing. Despite having such a lot of time to spend on my art work I haven't done much since finishing my last painting, that seems to be quite a common feeling among others too.

No sign of neighbour's daughter so I thought stuff it, I'm going to do some gardening. Her kitchen door was slightly open but she didn't come out, I was moving quite quietly so maybe she hadn't heard me. Her daughter eventually arrived I think, as she shut the door. Managed to sort out quite a lot but nowhere to put the stuff I'd cut down or pulled out as my bin is full to bursting and there's no sign of them emptying it yet. Put it in a heap in a back corner of the garden.

Spag bol from the freezer for tea, had a glass of wine with it. Watched some telly, bath and bed, was very tired so soon off to sleep, Zzzzzz!

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 May 20 11:51 BST (UK) »
My once a week visit to this board.
You all sound quite busy to me.
I don't have a full grasp of the story about your neighbour Roobarb but sending hugs your way.
My mother got out of hospital last Wednesday, oh joy, collecting her was weird, I'd almost forgotten how to drive, every thing seemed fine until Sunday which was a difficult day, lot of side effects from her meds started to kick in, rang our pharmacists this morning for advice and he is now my hero, he rang the consultant and turned out some of the instructions I had been given were incorrect. This is what happens when you can't visit the ward and speak to the staff person to person.
Fingers cross all goes well from now on.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 May 20 12:32 BST (UK) »
Sinann - I hope your Mum is ok now she out of hospital.... I'm sure it must have been a stressful time for you. Good to hear your pharmacist was so proactive and gave you some much needed reassurance I'm sure...

Roobarb - I'm so glad that I've been of some use and support to you as you have to me.. only to know that you're not on your own with feelings and thoughts I've found to be quite comforting! When you're stuck at home with your OH for this long things can become a little fractious at times... even after nearly 50 yrs of marriage 😬😱 At least he's able to get out to the golf course twice a week now so that will help us both!

I'm so pleased to hear that you've taken the bull by the horns and decided to ignore your neighbour and get on with things. At least if you've decided to replan your garden it will give you some different thoughts... hopefully you'll be able to get out to a garden centre soon and put your plans into action.

Mowsehouse - people can be so infuriating that it must be hard to bite your tongue when you actually live in the area and get castigated by an 'outsider'!
You are very lucky to live overlooking the sea, my OH's dream location! To be able to walk along the beach must be a real pleasure, especially when it's been so empty!

The pot of boiling oil or stocks at the entrance to each town could be quite handy when considering others thoughtlessness! Sorry I know that's not a pc thing to say these days.....

You have to keep busy otherwise you'd go round the bend!.... back to the scrubs for me now!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 May 20 13:57 BST (UK) »
Just a quick thought for Roobarb - don't know if it's of any use - have you thought of wearing headphones whilst you're in the garden?  You can pretend not to hear your neighbour.

I listen to podcasts whilst I'm working in the house/gardening - there are lots of really interesting programmes including all the Radio 4 favourites - or of course you can listen to music.  I play all of this on my iPhone, not sure if you've got the facility, but worthwhile considering.

Entertained, educated - and your neighbour blocked out completely!  What's not to like.

I hope this might help  ;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 May 20 14:14 BST (UK) »
Roobarb.

After reading about your poor plants and your awful neighbour, yesterday I wrote a rather long reply which included some suggestions, but unfortunately lost it all somehow.  :-\

I am glad to hear that you now have a positive plan for both your garden and ignoring your neighbour.  :)

Amongst my suggestions was the possibility of erecting a sturdy trellis or privacy screen of some sort for you to grow some new ivy and clematis on, but with the trellis being within your garden. I don't know if you have the means, space or inclination to do something along these lines. Alternatively some screening shrubs? Once again any plantings would probably be best well within your garden.

I know what it is like to have plant hating horrible neighbours - one of the happiest days of my life was when I saw a For Sale sign go up outside said neighbour's house. Oh joy!

A re-design of your garden, small or big, will give you something to plan for and look forward to.

Good for you!

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 May 20 17:19 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your kind words and suggestions to help me plan ahead.

IgorStrav, I don't have headphones, I have some of those ear bud things that you can use with your phone but to be honest it's not really about the noise she makes, she only does a bit of la la la stuff, it's the fact that she's doing it to intimidate me. Well it's not going to work any more, grrr!! I'm a peaceful sort of person and have always got on with my neighbours, even that particular one, she used to be very friendly with me, too much in fact, she's extremely nosy.

Ruskie, thanks for writing a long reply to me, it's very much appreciated despite it being lost. I've looked online at various types of screening, before the lockdown I was looking in a discount store at some to cover the part of the fence that wasn't covered in ivy and directly overlooked my patio from the side of her house. They had bamboo slat screening which I like but having looked online at it I see that it's fastened to existing fencing with wires or cable ties. The problem with that is that she could access the ties and remove them so it would be better to have something that's nailed on. I have some lightweight expanding trellises on the fence, until now they were covered with the ivy. Unfortunately she can still spray weedkiller or whatever on my plants through that so I think I need something more substantial. The light tarpaulin sheet I've put up blocks her but doesn't look very attractive while I'm waiting for the plants to grow.

I've taken some cuttings from the ivy at the other side of the garden in preparation and also from a hardy fuchsia that's evergreen. I just need to be sure she can't get at them! In her case she's not a plant hater, it's just me she's decided to hate. She can't even see that part of the fence from her house, it's alongside the narrow path down the side of her house, she only goes down there to go to the bin. Or to snoop on me! Her own garden is more manicured than the parks. I did think of chucking some dandelion clocks on her back lawn, hee hee! I wouldn't do that though, wouldn't lower myself to her level.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 May 20 17:26 BST (UK) »
Sinann, great to hear that your mother is out of hospital, I hope she makes a good recovery. Thank goodness for your pharmacist, great that he sorted things out for your mother.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham