Author Topic: I wouldn't be here if..........  (Read 4497 times)

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I wouldn't be here if..........
« on: Monday 18 May 20 10:01 BST (UK) »
 Inspired by my telling off on my Time Machine Thread and by a book I read last year that led to my daughter and I having a what if question I thought I'd start this thread. What events, if they hadn't happened could have lead to you not being here?  I'll start with a couple of examples.

I wouldn't be here if the Battle of Culloden hadn't happened because it led to the building of Fort George which allowed my 3x Grt Grandpa to be stationed there where he met my 3x grt grandmother from the local village.  They wouldn't have met otherwise as he was from 300miles away.

disclaimer: despite what people may think I 100% understand that people could have met other ways.  This is intended to be a bit of fun using what we've researched about our families and history in general.  Yes it sometimes involves a bit of tying yourself in knots but when my daughter and I did it that was part of the fun and we had a laugh.  It has also helper her remember some historical facts
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Re: I wouldn't be here if..........
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 May 20 10:18 BST (UK) »
My naughty Grandfather --- hadn't left his poor wife behind and met my Gran  - 

The story I was brought up with -- was that this poor lady was 'mad' and so he left her behind.. when he was gassed in the war..

The Truth I discovered  -- No sign of 'madness' on her part -- poor woman, he just had wandering genes..  it seems...  and so left her up there in Scotland - hoping I think she wouldn't find him.. BUT she did..    Sadly she still claimed to be his Wife/widow... when she died... which was after he did.

Anyhow me and many more are the result of that relationship --- and my actual Gran was a lovely gentle lady from all accounts...

xin

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 May 20 10:24 BST (UK) »
I have another one:

I wouldn't be here if the railways hadn't come to the Scottish Borders, the coming of the Railways triggered a big increase in the weaving industry in the area which created the job opportunity that one of my 3x grt grandfathers took advantage off where he met and married a local girl.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 May 20 10:34 BST (UK) »
I wouldn’t be here if my great grandfather had not landed on the planet from nowhere in his mid-40s.
He would probably be horrified to know that I am gradually narrowing down who he was in his previous life by using DNA.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 May 20 10:39 BST (UK) »
I wouldn't be here if

my greatx2 grandparents, Ann Thorpe and Thomas Wade, and their family, which included my great grandfather William Thomas Wade, had succumbed to the cholera.

The disease carried off Ann's brother in law, William Buckle, who lived next door to them, with his own family, in St Peter Newington (South London) in the 1840's.

At the time nobody knew where the 'drinking' water was supplied from. 

Some was supplied by companies which sourced it directly from the Thames, which was where all the sewage was also directed; or it might be obtained from wells/pumps which could be contaminated from neighbouring drains.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 May 20 10:40 BST (UK) »
If my mother hadn't hated being a nanny and joined the ATS to escape, posted to Chillwell, Nottinghamshire and met my father at a dance where he was playing clarinet.
Further back: if my Great Great grandmother hadn't been shipped from London (possibly Lambeth) to Farlow, Shropshire as an 8yr old female servant (I kid you not) in 1841 census and met her future husband whilst working on adjacent farms a few years later.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 May 20 10:51 BST (UK) »
I would not be here if........

My paternal great grandfather had not allowed his 2 eldest children, both female, to remain in Scotland when he, his wife and their other 8 children emigrated to Australia between 1910 and 1920. My grandmother was the second eldest child.

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 May 20 11:02 BST (UK) »
The Old Bailey had carried out the hanging of my Maternal GGGgrandfather Richard Blackstone in 1813
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 May 20 11:03 BST (UK) »
I would not be here if William had not beaten Harold at a skirmish on Senlac Hill.  ;)
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.