Author Topic: I wouldn't be here if..........  (Read 4491 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: I wouldn't be here if..........
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 17:49 BST (UK) »
Further to the antics of my maternal great grandfather had my father not been orphaned in 1903, sent to live with an aunt at the age of 4, joined the Cambridgeshire in 1915,been invited to a reunion in 1937, and met the sister of his hosts wife I would not be here. All a lottery isn't it?
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 18:14 BST (UK) »
A bit different reason for not being here—-if I ever again tackle a leak in the shower after ( as I thought ) turning off the electricity at the mains, but then feeling a “ tingle” and remembering the shower was on its own circuit,
I won’t be here!
I leapt out of the bath( over the bath  shower) and probably broke a few Olympic records as I did so!
Still I am here ,but would not have been had my Mother not been incredibly patient when my Dad was so ill after his return from being a P.O.W,they waited from 1919 until 1933 to marry.
They did not see their Silver Wedding.
I think other people’s stories are fabulous,so far back ,and just chance that A met B.
Viktoria.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 20:19 BST (UK) »
  If great grandfather hadn't stopped off in London before heading to New Zealand. There he met and married the daughter of an Irish woman and a man from who knows where. I have only just found out about the Irish woman with lots of help from IgorStrav! :D
   Otherwise all my ancestors seem to have married the girl or boy from 3 villages away.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 20:28 BST (UK) »
  If great grandfather hadn't stopped off in London before heading to New Zealand. There he met and married the daughter of an Irish woman and a man from who knows where. I have only just found out about the Irish woman with lots of help from IgorStrav! :D
   Otherwise all my ancestors seem to have married the girl or boy from 3 villages away.
Or in a lot of cases in my tree reproduced first, then possibly married. It was an old farm working tradition, children were essential, no children no marriage.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 20:39 BST (UK) »
In August 1857 my great great grandmother Mary Ann Bills sued William Matthew Dennison for breach of contract when he broke off their engagement and married another. He was the Captain of a Merchant vessel and the son of a wealthy ship owner from Aberdeen.  He wrote to Mary Ann with a story that his father had forbidden him to ever marry, but in actual fact he'd set off on a voyage, fallen in love with a passenger and married her. Love letters from him to Mary Ann were produced in court. She was awarded £250 and 18 months later went on to marry my great great grandfather.

Only just thought to look and found his marriage!

William Matthew Dennison
Marriage Date:   13 Apr 1857
Marriage Place:   Port Elizabeth, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Spouse:   Ann Munday
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 20:40 BST (UK) »

Happy to help - I wonder whether your greatx2 grandfather met your Irish greatx2 grandmother in the same way my grandfather met my grandmother?  He was the bobby on the beat, and she was the cook......  I bet there were a few surreptitious cups of tea, there.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline ansteynomad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 20:58 BST (UK) »
If Hilda Cobley had lived.

Sadly, she died of TB in the summer of 1939, clearing the way for my mother to make a play for my Dad.

They were married on 11 May 1940.
Nottinghamshire: Billyard; Fletcher
Lincolnshire: Beck; Smith
Leicestershire: Goadby; Iliffe;
Warwickshire: Bradbury; Friswell; Gilliver; Beesley

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 21:41 BST (UK) »
Yes Redroger, that indeed was not seen as anything shameful but good common sense!
There is a lot of it about today! ::)
Viktoria.

Online mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 21:52 BST (UK) »
If my 3x great grandfather had not been run over by a farm wagon (while lying drunk on the road), thus leaving a widow who had another child by a mystery man.  ;D
That child stole some lead and was sent to jail for 14 days.  While there he came under the influence of Quakers and embarked upon his education, instilling in his son it’s importance.
As a result that son encouraged education for all his 8 children, including the girls. So that my grandmother and her sisters all went to institutions that later became universities at the beginning of the 20th century
So my mother (from Nottinghamshire) then was accepted at Bristol, where she met my father (first generation at university) who was from Sussex.

He would not have been there at the same time if he had not swapped a posting to Germany post WW2 with another bloke. Because the bloke could actually speak German, and had been posted to a scientific establishment, and Dad was the one who was interested in the scientific stuff.  They put their case and it was accepted.  This meant Dad was on hand for the University interviews.