Author Topic: Seeking help to find Burnett family of Montrose  (Read 618 times)

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Seeking help to find Burnett family of Montrose
« on: Monday 18 May 20 11:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks

I am seeking some help to find the parents and siblings of my 2nd great grandfather (Robert) Thomas Burnett who I believe was born in Montrose in 1778. The year is based upon his age of 81 given when he died in 1859. His place of birth is taken from his service record with the Royal Navy.

He became an able seaman with the navy on 2 Nov 1805 in Newcastle upon Tyne (I believe) when he joined the ship HMS Proselyte and served until 29 Jul 1805. His record appears to state that his name was Robert Thomas Burnett at this time, but that when he transferred to HMS Galatea on 30 Jul 1805 and from then onward he was known as Thomas Burnett.

The Royal Navy purchased the Newcastle collier Ramillies in June 1804 and commissioned her as HMS Proselyte in September 1804, having converted her to a 28-gun sixth rate in July and August.

As Thomas was an Able Seaman age about 26 at the start of his career with the Royal Navy and not an "ordinary" seaman, and not very young, I believe he already had seagoing experience possibly fishing or on colliers from Montrose or Newcastle. I have also read that the Royal Navy pressed experienced sailors from commercial ships at this time.

I have access to a number of paid family history websites but would appreciate advice from anyone experienced in searching for Scottish ancestors.

Many thanks
Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Seeking help to find Burnett family of Montrose
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 May 20 12:17 BST (UK) »
https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk a pay to view site for Scottish records.

The nearest I can find to Montrose.

BURNETT   THOMAS   ROBERT BURNETT/MARGARETT DALRYMPLE   26/05/1788   Banchory Ternan, Kincardineshire

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 May 20 12:23 BST (UK) »
A tree on A...try would suggest that is not your Thomas.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 May 20 12:35 BST (UK) »
The only other I can find.

BURNETT   THOMAS   JOHN BURNETT/JEAN BROWNIE      10/04/1785   Cluny, Aberdeenshire

Colin

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 May 20 13:02 BST (UK) »
Hi CoIC

Thanks for your replies. There was a slight error in my post which I have corrected. Thomas was born about 1778, not 1788 as I had posted.

I am hoping to find some people who have researched Burnetts from around the time of the birth of my 2nd Great Grandfather.

Regards

Richard
Garrett (particularly in Hampshire); Miller (particulalry in Hampshire); Goodey/Goody (particularly in London, Middlesex and South Oxfordshire); Phillips, Williamson and Crockett all in Buckinghamshire; Farnham in Cornwall, Pyne in Sussex and Ireland; Mursell in Hampshire and Isle of Wight; Burnett in Scotland; Bramham in Yorkshire; Colebrooke; Watts

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 May 20 13:42 BST (UK) »
If you are a member of Ancestry I note there are trees with this information, some of which varies.

Thomas Burnett 1778–1859
BIRTH ABT 1778 • Montrose, Scotland

Colin

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 May 20 14:07 BST (UK) »
Hi CoIC

I created two of the trees on Ancestry with information concerning Thomas Burnett (and his wife Ann Farnham). The other two trees are mainly concerned with Ann Farnham's ancestors and dont shed light on who Thomas' parents and siblings were.

Regards
Richard

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 May 20 14:20 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the surname interests on this site. (The bottom of this page)

Colin

Offline Beaujolaiswine

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 May 20 16:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin

As you suggest I have tried surname interests. There was only 1 person with Burnett interest covering the Montrose area. I contacted hi. Unfortuately he had no Robert or Thomas Burnetts in his family.

Thanks anyway.

Richard