Author Topic: Trying to find Nora Barrett, possibly from Nenagh  (Read 1300 times)

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to find Nora Barrett, possibly from Nenagh
« on: Monday 18 May 20 16:32 BST (UK) »
I’m trying to find a Nora Barrett who was born in Ireland, and may have a link to Nenagh.

All I know about Nora is that she was the birth mother of my closest DNA match Henry Vila.  I took an Ancestry DNA test in 2018, and Henry Vila was my closest match. I knew nothing about him or where he lived as he had no personal information or tree on Ancestry but we had similar Irish ethnicity from our DNA.  I tried to contact Henry but got no reply until last September when I received a short reply that simply said “My birth mother was Nora Barret. She gave birth to me in NYC in 1930.”   I noticed a small tree (just 3 people) had appeared on Ancestry, just showing Henry, his mother Nora Barrett born Ireland (no other details) and his father Rafael Vila. 

Using the New York connection, I did some searching online and immediately found Henry Vila’s obituary and was shocked to see that he died on 2 September 2019, which was the exact day he’d sent me his short message.  I don’t know the circumstances of his death but I found the timing of his message unusual and unnerving.  His obituary is very detailed, I won’t post it here as it names descendants, but here is the beginning.
It is with great sadness that the family of Henry Vila announces his passing at age 89 on Monday, September 2, 2019 in Hilliard, Ohio. He was born on January 28, 1930 in New York City, where he lived and worked for 80 years. He was the son of Rafael Vila (1899-1944), the owner-operator of a barber shop in Upper Manhattan, and Nora Barett. He was raised by his father and his beautiful and beloved step-mother, Enid Eloise (Grey) Vila (1898-1986) who gave him love and kindness and taught him manners and self-respect.

I find the wording on his obituary strange as Nora Barrett barely gets a mention (I’m surprised in some ways that she’s mentioned at all).  I’ve since discovered that his father Rafael Vila was born in Puerto Rico and had married the “beautiful and beloved” step-mother in 1925, 5 years before Henry was born.  I’ve found Henry on US census in 1930 and 1940 with his father and step-mother but I can’t find any likely Nora Barrett. I’ve searched US immigration records and passenger lists, and found several possible Nora Barretts (with name variations) from Ireland.  I’ve tried to cross-check these to Irish births but found nothing conclusive for Nora. This is difficult without knowing when she went to USA, her age, her birth-place, her parents etc.

The reason I think there might be a Nenagh link is that my Irish connection is through my grandmother Catherine Mahoney, born 1888 in Nenagh.  She came to Lancashire sometime after 1901 census and married my grandfather.  Her parents were David Mahoney and Mary Barrett, married in Nenagh in 1884.  Mary’s parents were Patrick Barrett & Catherine (unknown surname) who both died in Nenagh.

I would really appreciate any help finding Nora Barrett or any thoughts on this. 

Thanks.
  Malcolm

(I previously posted about this on the USA board in February when I was looking at trying to obtain Henry Vila’s death certificate to see if that would help, but that was not possible). https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=825800.0

Wood(s) – Lancashire/Clayton-le-Moors & Sawley (orig. W.Yorkshire 1841)
Thornley, Heyes – Lancashire/Clayton-le-Moors
Emmett – Lancashire/Chorley, Blackburn
Nightingale, Livesey, Warburton, Gorton – Lancashire/Blackburn, Darwen
Kilshaw - Lancaster
Mahoney – Oswaldtwistle, Ireland
Brennan – E.Lancs., Tipperary

Census information is Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find Nora Barrett, possibly from Nenagh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 12:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm,
I read your post...…..do you know of a David and Lydia Mahoney in the USA, that came to Nenagh?
Maggsie

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 15:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm,
I read your post...…..do you know of a David and Lydia Mahoney in the USA, that came to Nenagh?
Maggsie

Hi Maggsie

I have no record of a David & Lydia Mahoney.  I've only got the David Mahoney mentioned in my post (my great grandfather, born in Co. Kildare c.1855), married Mary Barrett 1884 in Nenagh. He's on the 1901 census with Mary in Nenagh but I can't trace them after that. According to a daughter's marriage certificate David was deceased in July 1907 (as was Mary) but I've never been able to find reliable evidence of their deaths (and I've searched far & wide).  Another mystery!!  What do you know about your David Mahoney?   

Any thoughts on my Nora Barrett query  … I'm assuming she was probably born between 1890 and 1914?

Malcolm
Kilshaw - Lancaster

Census information is Crown Copyright, National Archives for academic and non-commercial research purposes only

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 16:25 BST (UK) »
You don't say how Henry Vila matches you.
Have you tried entering the number of cM in DNA painter https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4
If you have an idea of how he matches you can work on that level of you tree, at first glance it appears you need to find siblings of Mary Barrett daughter of Patrick and Catherine and than work forward to Nora.

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 16:34 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I saw this record as I searched for David Mahoney. Number 116 and 117.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1969/04163/4059838.pdf
This is Catherine's birth in 1888. Note the name of the road...Spout Road.
This is Dublin Road as in the 1901 Census.  (There is a story to the Spout on that road)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1888/02495/1925384.pdf
Have you got a copy of the marriage for David Mahoney and Mary Barrett?
I can't find it.
This may take me a bit of time searching, I will try my best.
Maggsie

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Malcolm,
You have obviously moved on from this thread re Catherine in Oswaldtwistle.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=184608.msg899471#msg899471

On that thread you mention Catherine’s father David is an Iron Moulder and is deceased.

In 1901 he is a Farm Labourer and a labourer, on his marriage.

You write on here:
According to a daughter's marriage certificate David was deceased in July 1907 (as was Mary) but I've never been able to find reliable evidence of their deaths (and I've searched far & wide).  Another mystery!! 

What was David’s occupation on that 1907 certificate?
How do you know that Mary was also deceased?
Could David have died in England?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MJW

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 18:29 BST (UK) »
You don't say how Henry Vila matches you.
Have you tried entering the number of cM in DNA painter https://dnapainter.com/tools/sharedcmv4
If you have an idea of how he matches you can work on that level of you tree, at first glance it appears you need to find siblings of Mary Barrett daughter of Patrick and Catherine and than work forward to Nora.

Thanks for your reply.  I've tried DNA painter and similar tools. My match to Henry Vila is estimated at being around 2nd cousin once removed or 3rd cousin, which would indicate we have common great or greatx2 grandparents (more likely I think). I agree about finding siblings of Mary Barrett, I've been searching for some time and found nothing definite.  Unfortunately, Mary (and probably any siblings) were born before civil registration.  I have Mary's 1884 marriage certificate to David Mahoney, and their children's births and tracked them through census, marriage etc,

I've spent 6 months trawling through my DNA shared matches with Henry (and shared matches of shared matches etc....) but again found nothing definite yet.

Malcolm
Malcolm     
Kilshaw - Lancaster

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, Thanks Sinann,
I really don't know if this is going to help.

The only Nora or Norah Barrett that I can see is this one...………..
In Queens County ( now called County Laois) To Patrick and Kate. Aged 10.
But when I looked in the 1911 Ireland Census it says John as the Fathers name.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPBY-KPFP
Then I looked for a Patrick and Catherine Barrett and got this
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Queen_s_Co_/Meelick/Gorteen/789774/
I then looked for James' birth and got this...……….number 202
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1891/02367/1884074.pdf
Catherine's maiden name as Kilbride.
The other son Patrick this is his birth
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1885/02624/1968326.pdf

Back to the USA, The Vila family, there isn't any mention of Nora Barrett when searching for marriages etc.
Not even a death.

Searching by Vila =
https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Avila%20%2Bmarriage_year%3A1920-1935~%20%2Bspouse_givenname%3Aenid

I will look again.
Maggsie