Author Topic: Diary > Monday 18th May  (Read 704 times)

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 18th May
« on: Monday 18 May 20 22:58 BST (UK) »
Starting off today's log while it's still today!

Very tired when I put the light out last night, slept really heavily apart from waking up at about 3am coughing, pretty sure it's caused by cutting off dead stuff in the garden (ivy if I dare mention it!). Soon back to sleep. Woke up wondering if it was Sunday or Monday, couldn't decide then thought why does it matter. Didn't actually do a lot today.

Got a text from my friend who shops for me to say that she'd be going today. Ended up phoning her as she was worried about something else going on. Went off for my walk, quite windy again and cloudy, all the lovely weather that was forecast seems to be in the south. Had a sandwich for lunch, did some Rootschatting and my friend arrived with my shopping. By that time my vandalising neighbour was out cutting her front lawn, I'd seen her from the upstairs window. My friend stood further down the drive while we had a short chat, I told her that ears would be flapping. My friend told me about how some people flout the social distancing regulations in the supermarkets, I commented that some people need to go back to school and learn what two metres means. I had the neighbour in mind as she regularly stands too close to other neighbours. My friend was laughing as she knew exactly what I was getting at!

Wiped down the shopping and put it away. Phoned my friend who had a major operation, we had a long chat and thankfully she's progressing very well.

Went out to the garage and noticed that the ivy that had escaped alive was hanging away from the fence, not tucked behind the trellis where it had been. It's been windy but not exactly gale force, too much of a coincidence, hope it hasn't been poisoned. Fastened it back on with cable ties and cut a few more bits of the dead stuff away.

Scampi for tea, not the most economical fish dish but I do like it. Used the peas that I'd forgotten about the other day, Jersey potatoes, tomatoes and peppers.

I read two books at once, one on my tablet on the Kindle app and a paperback in the bath, I finished both last night. I usually buy my paperbacks from charity shops or withdrawn ones from the library, they're really cheap. I also occasionally buy used ones via Amazon, I've ordered a couple but they haven't arrived yet. Will have to read one of my art magazines in the bath instead. Or have a shower!

Caroline, I forgot to say in the other thread that I can see how being in the company of your OH all the time must be testing for any relationship, especially if you're used to some independence. Fifty years is quite an achievement, I hope his resumption of golf games is giving you both a bit of breathing space. Just don't let him thrash you at scrabble any more! 

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 18th May
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 May 20 23:38 BST (UK) »
Roobarb - Oh goodness how did you guess we'd had a game is scrabble today and yes he did beat me...but only just! Yes 50 yrs is a long time! We were quite young when we met on a blind date!

Sorry to hear your neighbour is still trying to sabotage your plants... pity you can't put something there  that if she chops at it it would give her a rash or something to stop her doing it... Nasty woman.

Today's diary

OH  already up when I went downstairs...
Usual breakfast sat in the conservatory as it was so nice...
Did some tidying up and cleaned the bathroom
Got the sets of scrubs I'd made ready to drop off...
Had some paperwork, bill paying etc to do... can't believe I've still got the same money in my purse from 8 weeks ago...
Drove to next town to meet up and drop off scrubs.. Waited half an hour and sent a message .... she'd given me the wrong day... it's tomorrow... never mind got me out of the house and some freedom ... felt quite exhilarating to get in my car and drive!
Lunch nice bread made by OH sat outside read for quite a while ...
Had game of scrabble sitting outside ... make the most of it getting plenty of vitamin D.. apparently that's what we need.

Fiddled about in the kitchen deboning the chicken, made some coleslaw... I seem to make a proper mess when I'm doing it... never been the tidiest person in the kitchen why use 1 implement when you can use the whole draw full!
Had chicken salad for dinner sitting outside... quite windy and sky hazy
Came inside and watched some tv ... a Norwegian sub titled series set in the 60's when they discovered oil off coast of Stavanger.. Ekofisk... quite good
Early bed as up early to shop and do my click & collect tomorrow.

That's about the sum total of my day!
Should really have gone for a walk but by the time we'd both finished things we were doing it was too hot... that's my excuse anyway.. have to do my Yogalates on Wednesday as shopping to sort etc tomorrow morning and I prefer exercising in the morning. Not entirely sure why but still!

Hope others have had a better day and that Moweshowse has been able to enjoy her stroll a.ong the beach without the crowds!

Hope others have had a more interesting one!

Caroline

Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 01:01 BST (UK) »
Heavy showers. Rain yesterday, wet & windy during night. Plants will be happy.
Most notable thing today - bank statement for current account. Balance continues to increase as expenditure is mainly bills, food and necessary household items. All shopping has been at shops within 5 minutes walk so not a great deal of temptation. No cash withdrawals in past month. There's a 20 note and a fiver in my wallet.
Listened & laughed to "I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue", an edition from 2013 with Victoria Wood + regulars.
Cowban

Offline mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 11:13 BST (UK) »
A slow start yesterday messing around on the lap top, but nothing to rush for, so why worry?

The lady downstairs who is a magnificent "silver surfer" gave me a small list of stuff when I asked her if she needed anything, so husband and I walked to town and expedited commissions as best we could.
Queuing for the till in Lidl freaks me out, but it was worth it to get a delighted text from downstairs in gratitude. She has been hoping for the gravilax salmon for several weeks, but it took me several attempts to locate it as it is not on my normal radar screen.

While husband was waiting for me outside small Tesco, a library Friends committee colleague passed by and stopped to chat. She said she and her husband were running out of books, so after a sandwich lunch we loaded up 2 bags of paperbacks we were happy to give away, and walked again to deliver them.  She was glad, though I don't know if any of them will suit her, but she gave us a jar of home made grapefruit marmalade in return. No need to do that of course, but it made her feel better.  Stayed with her for a while discussing the current situation which was difficult for me because I suspect she voted for our current government, which I did not..... but I don't want to get into politics with her. (Nor on here. ;) )

Evening meal was not a success. Husband always thinks I should be happy with raw onions, but I never am!!  :-X

Then another walk along the sea front which was quiet thankfully. Cormorants and swans on a tranquil sea.  I was able to post a good photo on my facebook "during daily exercise I saw.... " A lot of people seem to be enjoying that, so it is achieving the intention. 14,000 steps yesterday so husband was happy.

Exchanged a few texts with some of the Morris dancing group; we haven't seen each other to practise for 10 weeks now, and our summer dance programme is trashed.

Watched an old episode of "Endeavour".

Another day over that I'll never get back!
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Germany, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein, GUBLER in Switzerland, KONIG in Germany, KRONER  & PLACZEK in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 13:40 BST (UK) »
The comments about not using cash make me wonder if this is leading to a huge step on the way to the demise of cash. I don't mind paying by contactless but I always take the receipt with the intention of checking them against my bank or credit card account but I never do! I suppose I could take the opportunity to do it during lockdown but it's highly unlikely!

Caroline, how frustrating that your scrubs collector had given you the wrong day but at least you'll have had another excursion today! 
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 18:15 BST (UK) »
Ah! Morris dancing! I think I watched solo dancing on You-tube. St. George's Day or Mayday?
My Morris dancing days are long gone. My costume or parts of it might be packed  away somewhere. If I could remember where, I considered wearing it for "Dance on Your Doorstep" or "Dance in Your Driveway". I'd have to dance on my garden path which is short and narrow or on the pavement. I've forgotten steps of all dances. I would just have to wave my hankies and rattle my bells enthusiastically. If anybody thinks I've gone off my trolley, I'll say it's part of my physiotherapy .
I used a door handle as a barre and did some leg stretches. 
Cowban

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 18:20 BST (UK) »
Caw1
My other half and I have never spent 24/7 together in our 55 years of marriage,  just a week after this all happened he has been I'll, so 3 weeks taken care off but no murders as yet. It must be difficult for some people though cooped up, I am thankful I have a garden and a couple of spare rooms

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Lethbridge Paddington Slough
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 18:28 BST (UK) »
Morris dancing - love it!  Very sad that we won't be going to Saltburn Folk Festival this year  :'( :'

Living quite amicably with OH after 56 years of marriage - he works downstairs and I work upstairs at this moment in time - we meet for dinner.  Each to their own  ;)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 21:04 BST (UK) »
A garden and a couple of spare rooms would be an immense help, but (as we have few other choices,) we do seem to be adjusting.  :-X
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Germany, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein, GUBLER in Switzerland, KONIG in Germany, KRONER  & PLACZEK in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.