Author Topic: Intrathecal antibody test  (Read 1723 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Intrathecal antibody test
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 21 May 20 12:24 BST (UK) »
Looking askance at the covid deaths in Iran, the true death rate in Britain may have passed 50K.

Skoosh.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 21 May 20 12:58 BST (UK) »
Have just read all of the above, sorry it took me a little while, we were out, walking in the sunshine.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 21 May 20 13:20 BST (UK) »
This morning I have received an email from the UK Biobank asking if I would volunteer to help their research into Covid-19. If selected I will be required to send them approx 10 drops of blood from a finger-prick every month for at least 6 months. The kit will be sent to me, along with a short questionaire about possible symptoms, to take the sample and return by post. It will be tested for antibodies, it also asks that if I have children and grandchildren to ask them to take part.

Sounds a very good idea to me.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 21 May 20 15:11 BST (UK) »
There's also a problem with the antigen tests in care-homes, regular testing is a good idea regarding the staff but some are reluctant as a positive result results in a lay off & there should be no loss of pay here.
 A further difficulty is the repeated antigen tests being quite painful to an old person & the tests are reportedly producing a one-in-three false-negative!

Skoosh.

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 21 May 20 18:00 BST (UK) »

There also seems to be a view amongst some health professionals that people currently hiding behind their Front Doors (without good reason like their immune system is already damaged/crashed) whilst good weather is here, possibly eating too much, having little or no exercise and gaining weight, are weakening their bodies and immune systems.

Mark

I am not 'hiding behind my front door', I'm doing what we were told to do to keep the health service professionals available for genuinely unwell people such as yourself - & to restrict the spread of the virus. We do take as much exercise as mobility issues allow (nothing to do with our immune systems) & certainly do not spend all our time, sitting about, eating & gaining weight. Whilst at home, in common with all my friends, we have been busy doing things around the house & garden.

Most people are dealing with this hideous situation as best they can. I don't think passing judgement on how they do it is helpful.

I'm pleased your health problems are being dealt with.

Pat
King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 21 May 20 19:35 BST (UK) »
Mark,

In some cases you are not comparing like with like, the armed forces for instance have no say in whether they keep working or not. They are paid 24 hours a day, 365 days and can be mobilized at very short notice to do the things that civilians either cannot or will not do. The employment laws such as the working hours directive do not apply to the forces and other laws that do also apply to them can easily be suspended. If you were to ask any of them I am sure they would say they are no doing anything special and that they are just doing the job they are paid to. I expect that doctors, nurses, paramedics etc would also say the same.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 21 May 20 20:07 BST (UK) »
This morning I have received an email from the UK Biobank asking if I would volunteer to help their research into Covid-19. If selected I will be required to send them approx 10 drops of blood from a finger-prick every month for at least 6 months. The kit will be sent to me, along with a short questionaire about possible symptoms, to take the sample and return by post. It will be tested for antibodies, it also asks that if I have children and grandchildren to ask them to take part.

Sounds a very good idea to me.

Gov.uk website gives some general information about projects
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-begins-large-scale-study-of-coronavirus-immunity
 ----------
Thanks Pat, there are also some of us here in our small gardens too. Very good health to you.

At home and feeling very fortunate so far  :)  :) , Mark

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 21 May 20 20:46 BST (UK) »
Interesting reply, Mark.    Have you seen what the Italian PM is saying.

We cannot afford to wait any longer and risk an irreparably compromised society and production system.

I wonder if that will apply to us in a couple of weeks,  shades of the 1930s hanging over us.

Mike

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 22 May 20 14:03 BST (UK) »
This thread has understandably died but as it is technical in its contents I thought I would post this.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52754280

A very very similar treatment has worked for me, sent a previously terminal condition into remission.

The science I know is now proven, my only contribution was to follow the instructions to keep a healthy immune system.

I see a glimmer of hope.

Mike