Author Topic: Restoration of curled photos  (Read 1212 times)

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Restoration of curled photos
« on: Tuesday 19 May 20 11:04 BST (UK) »
I have a number of photographs, taken c1952, which have curled during storage over many years. I have recently acquired them and would like to "uncurl" a selection.
Can anyone please give me some ideas  how I might achieve this?
Photos are approx 160mm x 200mm.
I attach a photo of one of the curled photos.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Restoration of curled photos
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 11:06 BST (UK) »
Not a professional suggestion but would putting a heavy book on top flatten them out?  :-\
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 11:16 BST (UK) »
If they're not liable to crack, a heavy weight, something like Milliepede has suggested would do the trick. Some people have used a cool iron on the back. I've not tried that.

I recall putting some in an old family bible.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 11:51 BST (UK) »
Surface tension of the drying out of the various chemicals on the photo side has probably caused the curl.   A similar thing happens to light interior doors often finished with Hardboard and painted only on one side and over time the contracting of the painted surface will curl the door from top to bottom.  The answer would be to use a spray varnish on the non-photo side and when dry place the photos over a curved surface with the centre 1" higher than the edges.  My father in his Joiner days used to correct the curl by hanging weights from the top on the convex side until the door had straightened then paint both sides.  Worth a try on a few to see if that works ... ?
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 11:54 BST (UK) »
I should have mentioned Artist's Varnish rather than Furniture Varnish ... thinner and meant for papers
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 20:28 BST (UK) »
I have only unfurled modern day photographs that have been rolled up.

I turn them curl size down and put a larger heavy type paper as a a weight and leave it  for about 4 or 5 days to un-curl slowly in a gentle manner.

Regards

Sarah
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 22:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 22:43 BST (UK) »
My Brother lent me my Father's navy photos from 1942, they were all curled into a stacked pile and in an old Basildon Bond small envelope. I bought a small album with plastic sleeves and placed several heavy books on the top and and within a week, they had flattened out. My Brother couldn't believe it.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU