Author Topic: Murdoch MacKenzie (Mathieson) of Kintail mid 17th Century  (Read 1005 times)

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Murdoch MacKenzie (Mathieson) of Kintail mid 17th Century
« on: Tuesday 19 May 20 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I have recently come across information that has led to discovering my 6x great grandfather, Murdoch 'Allan' MacKenzie. I have documents that suggest he was born c.1670 at Kintail. There have been some who say that Murdoch is a direct descendant of Roderick Mohr (Baron of Redcastle) MacKenzie, but research on that continues!

A little info about Murdoch -

He is a reputed son of Alexander & Janet MacKenzie, Alexander died c.1674, buried at Beauly Priory. He married (Mary) Cameron c.1694 at Kintail. Mary was the daughter of Ludovic Cameron who was executed by the English for being an 'object of terror' around 1689 aged 40. The Cameron's were from Lochaber, and after the execution of Ludovic they fled to Lord Seaforth MacKenzie's area of Kintail.

I believe that at the time Murdoch & Mary met, Murdoch was already a 'foster brother' to Flora, daughter of MacDonald of Morthir (Morar), who was married to Big Niel MacLean, brother to the then Laird of Coll.  The ‘Big Niel’ referred to is probably Niell Mor MacLean of Drimnacross (1640 – 1690) 3rd son of Lauchlan MacLean Vl of Coll. Murdoch became known as Murdoch 'Allan' all of his days, due to the high regard he was held in by Flora & 'Big Neil's' son Allan.

My MacKenzie family were known Jacobites (so I am told). Murdoch & Mary, along with his foster family, relocated to the Isle of Coll, Argyllshire (most likely due to the connection with Flora MacDonald, sister-in-law to Laird of Coll). 3 of Murdoch & Mary's sons are recorded - Ludovic, Archibald, & John (My 5xGG). During the 18th century my family adopted the name Mathieson, I assume to avoid any unwanted attention, however by the end of the century and definitely into te 19th, their use of the name Mathieson all but disappeared, MacKenzie once again in permanent use.

I have a few questions that have been holding my genealogy brick wall in place for a few weeks now, if anyone can help me answer them that would be great.

1) Is there any way to try and substantiate the claims that Murdoch is a descendant of Roderick Mohr MacKenzie? Alexander, a grandson/great grandson of Roderick, did have a son called 'Murdo' but I can find no further information on him other than his existence.

2) What does 'foster-brother' mean back in the 17th century amongst the Clans? Could a child be fostered out only when a parent/parents have died?

3) Could any person become a foster-brother to a woman (Flora MacDonald) who seems so well connected amongst clan 'nobility'?

4) Are there execution records that were kept? If Ludovic Cameron (Ludovic also sounds very strange a name to have been in the highlands at this time) was an object of terror to te point of execution, might that have been because he was a notable figure with influence?

I'm sure I have more confusion in my head, but right now it's lost amongst other confusion  ??? ;D

If anyone is able to help I would be very grateful,

Keelan