Author Topic: Tyssens of Hackney.  (Read 402 times)

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Tyssens of Hackney.
« on: Tuesday 19 May 20 14:36 BST (UK) »
Greetings,

I'm trying to hunt down births/baptisms for one of the children of a Francis John Tyssen. He was born in Hackney in 1717 and died there in 1781. He was a member of a family that, at one time, owned all of the Hackney Manors, so the family was somewhat er, rich.

As far as we can ascertain he never married, but had at least 4 mistresses, Mary Dickinson, daughter of Joseph Dickinson of Philadelphia; Elizabeth Preston; Martha Faulstone (buried as Martha Foulstone - not Tyssen) and Eleanor Deane.

Also as far as can be determined, he had two children by each of these, many of whom seem to have had moderately illustrious careers.

The references for what follows are:
Hackney St Johns PRs on Ancestry and on the Familysearch Cattle Dog
Stirnet tree Tyssen 1
Book "A Forgotten Past; Being Notes of the families of Tyssen, Baker, Hougham and Milles of 5 Centuries by Florence Horatia Suckling, London 1898"
The will of Francis John Tyssen on the PCC, proved 1781 (all 11 pages of it!)

Martha Faulstone is supposed to have had two children:
Amelia Tyssen m. Richard Harris Lovelace 27 May 1778, Battersea Surrey
Harriet Tyssen, m. Martin Whish 30 Jul 1784 at Westminster St Marylebone. Born about 1765 from age at burial.

For all three of these, we have the burials and, for the children, the marriages.

Regarding the baptisms. We can't find any trace of these and have hunted through the  Hackney St Johns PRs in the Familysearch Catalogue, the references given above and Findmypast as well as the public trees on ancestry. Doing a search engine look for the names turns up nothing. Burkes doesn't have a lot. London Remembers has the same information.

So, finally to my question.... does anyone have some ideas as to where we could search next for those baptisms?

Thank you all most kindly, Keith Jeffery in deepest darkest Queensland, slowly coming out of isolation.

Online Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tyssens of Hackney.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 15:21 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to hunt down births/baptisms for one of the children of a Francis John Tyssen.

Which one is the missing one?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 15:33 BST (UK) »
Do you have Francis Johns will
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 22:36 BST (UK) »
Not missing. I'm looking for prime sources for the birth/baptism of the following:

Martha Faulstone, buried 1771 Hackney St John as Martha Foulstone,
Amelia Tysen, daughter of Francis John Tyssen and Martha Faulstone, married Richard Harris Lovelace in 1778.
Harriet Tyssen, daughter of Francis John Tyssen and Martha Faulstone, married Martin Whish in 1786, buried Stratfield Mortimer Berkshire 1841 aged 75.

I'm not looking for the information itself, just (er... just??) possible sources for that information.

So far, it seems that all the trees that I know of, trace ultimately back to Francis John Tyssen's will, through the well known mechanism of repetition, which lists all 4 mistresses and their children with legacies for them. But the will doesn't give dates (nor would I expect it to). So we have secondary and lower quality sources, but no primary.

Thanks, Keith

I'm trying to hunt down births/baptisms for one of the children of a Francis John Tyssen.

Which one is the missing one?

Offline keithj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 22:42 BST (UK) »
Do you have Francis Johns will

Yes. It seems to be the main source for information on the names of the mistresses and their children.

But I'm fussy and pedantic, so I'm trying to find prime sources (such as PRs) for the births/baptisms of Martha Faulstone and her two children, Amelia Tyssen and Harriet Tyssen.

Regards, Keith