Author Topic: William Federick Read - R.N. stoker (1908)  (Read 218 times)

Online CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Federick Read - R.N. stoker (1908)
« on: Tuesday 19 May 20 20:34 BST (UK) »
I am currently trying to resolve the first marriage of my wife's great-grandfather's cousin, and am having difficulty with finding any matches for her first husband, William Frederick Read. Lucy Ellen (the marriage certificate states Ellen Lucy, but on her baptism record and her second marriage record she is Lucy Ellen) Herbert married William Frederick Read on 11 April 1908 in All Hallows church in Bromley, London, England. At the time of their marriage Lucy is 24, and William is 25, which is consistent with Lucy's birth in January 1884, and implies that William is born in either 1883, or more likely 1882. William's occupation is described in the marriage register as 'Stoker R.N.', which I have taken to mean that he was a stoker in the Royal Navy.

Lucy subsequently married James Hall on 4 April 1915 in St Mary's church in Bromley St Leonard, London, England, and is described as a widow at the time of this second marriage. Sadly, James died on the Somme 18 months later in October 1916, and is commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial to the Missing of the Somme, leaving Lucy a widow for the second time.

Clearly William Read had to have died at some point before April 1915, but I am struggling on several fronts. The first thing is that I cannot find a William Read that seems to fit my assumed birth year for him in the Royal Navy ratings’ service records in the National Archives, even if I try different variations on both his surname (Read, Reed, and Reid), and his first names given in the marriage register. None of the William Read's who died in the first few months of WW1 while serving with the Royal Navy are a match, which then implies that he had to have died before August 1914.

The closest match I can find is a William George Frederick Read who was baptized in Forest Gate, London, England, in June 1882, and who apparently died in the same area in October 1909, which would seem to fit the facts if I discount the missing George in his name in the marriage register. This still leaves me though with the conundrum that I cannot find a record of William Read's assumed service with the Royal Navy as a stoker, or indeed if he was still serving at the time of his death as he would have been if he had signed on for a period of 12 years at the age of 18 as Lucy's cousin did in 1904.           

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Federick Read - R.N. stoker (1908)
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 21:23 BST (UK) »
Hi

Think you mean 1882/3 for William

The 1908 marriage cert shows his father also as William Frederick - occ platelayer.  Have you found an 1891 entry for him?   I can’t see an obvious marriage for a William Frederick Read prior to 1882 apart from one in 1871 in Yarmouth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 21:44 BST (UK) »
The 1891 for William G F Read shows father as William occ carpenter.  Still a carpenter in 1901
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CraigM63

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 21:54 BST (UK) »
Carol

Yes, thank you for the correction, I did mean 1882/3.

The occupation of platelayer would seem to be connected with railways, while the father of William George Frederick Read is described as a carpenter in the 1901 Census so I may be clutching at straws with this one. It just seemed to fit with the little I could find, especially because Forest Gate is in relatively close proximity to Mile End where Lucy was living in the 1901 Census. The witnesses that signed the marriage register were Lucy's mother and grandfather, so perhaps William's father wasn't present and I should be looking further afield. 

I think that the 1871 marriage in Yarmouth may be connected with a William Read born in 1879 in Yarmouth, who did serve in the Royal Navy and died in the early months of WW1, but his wife is someone else.

The bigger issue for me is the apparent lack of a service record for William Frederick Read given his stated occupation of stoker in the Royal Navy in the marriage register. 

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 22:19 BST (UK) »
There is this Stoker who “ran” 1906

William
Last name   Reed
Service number   295679
Birth year   1882
Birth date   15 Jan 1882
Birth place   Deptford
Birth county   Kent