Author Topic: Screenshot on Toshiba Laptop & Windows 10 - HOW?  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Screenshot on Toshiba Laptop & Windows 10 - HOW?
« on: Tuesday 19 May 20 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks,

Can someone please tell me the easiest way to do this in simple terms?

I've done it before a few times but don't know how I eventually managed!

They don't show on my screen with the usual instructions although they opened in 'Snip & Sketch' originally (I think) - & I don't know how to save/retrieve with a name.

I use Paint to open pics.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: Screenshot on Toshiba Laptop & Windows 10 - HOW?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 21:09 BST (UK) »
Open Paint.
Go to the screen you want to take a screenshot of, press the PrintScreen button - might be PrtScr on a laptop.

Go back to Paint, open a new image and right click and paste.
This will paste in what you copied.
Then you will be able to crop it within Paint to remove bits you do not want.
Then using 'Menu' and 'save as', you can save it to your computer, calling it whatever you want and choosing what format you want - png, bmp, jpeg etc..
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 07:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks Dubliner,

I followed your instructions, made a wee bit of progress except...when I right clicked & pasted, I had text I'd copied & pasted 3 hrs earlier!  ;D

It's a screenshot of a newspaper article I'm trying to copy.

Do you have another example I could try please?

I'm prepared to try it with any way of copying it, it doesn't have to be with paint but I'd need instructions on how to open anything else.

I've never been able to master W10 (an XP & Vista user) prior.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 09:27 BST (UK) »
You may find it easier to use the snipping tool built into Win10, it's on your start menu under Windows accessories.

When you open the tool click on 'New' on the top left of that window. The screen goes semi-transparent and you use your mouse to draw a box around what you want to clip whilst holding the left button down. As soon as you release the left button a new box appears showing your clip. You then left-click on 'Save as' on the top left using whatever name & save location you wish.

Michael.

Offline Michael J

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 09:35 BST (UK) »
Annie, if you are using 'snip & sketch' it's basically the same thing - click on 'New' in the top left of that window etc.

Michael.

Added - the 'save as' icon is the floppy disk symbol at the top right of the window -it's the left hand of the group of three on my computer. Or you can use 'control + S'.

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 09:59 BST (UK) »
Ctrl + PrintScreen will get you an image of the whole screen (should be the same result as using PrintScreen on its own).

Alt + PrintScreen will get you an image of the currently active window.

Then paste into Paint or wherever you want the image.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 10:04 BST (UK) »
The old fashioned way to use the Print Screen function was to hold down the Shift Button at the same time as you pressed Prnt Scrn button.  If your keyboard has 2 different functions printed on the PrntScrn button then  if that is the upper half of the button and can only be accessed using the Shift Button.  This is nothing to do with Windows 10, it's to do with your computer's keyboard layout.
  When you Prnt Scrn you are not printing anything, that's from the early days of computing and it just means COPY everything showing on the screen at the time of pressing the buttons and Store it in the CLIPBOARD until you put it somewhere else by Control V or Paste, you can Paste in Excel worksheets, Wordpages or a Picture program such as Paint.
 The CLIPBOARD is an area of Memory used by the computer to store COPIED material until you Delete it or Replace it with another Copy of something.  Advanced clipboard use can hold a list of items but the basic is just one item and it's on the basis of last in first out. 
If your Print Screen button is single function you do not need to use the Shift Button but even if you do it won't affect the result, you'll still Copy the Screen.  Then choose where to Paste it.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 10:11 BST (UK) »
Try this, it's simpler ... place your cursor on the image to be copied and Right-Click and the Menu may offer you the Option to Copy Image .. if so, select it and that is you COPYING it to your Clipboard which then let's you PASTE it wherever you wish.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 11:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your suggestions, it's much appreciated but nothing is working, I'm a complete novice with regard to this particular laptop i.e. W10...

When I referred to using Paint = I open my images in Paint

Can I just emphasise, the few times I managed to copy an image, I have no clue as to how I did it as I was trying any/everything from reading online through frustration i.e. when it happened I immediately forgot how I did it.

The 'old way' etc. means nothing as I've never used any way  ;D

I'm sure I recall they did open in something different to Paint & Snip & Sketch comes to my mind although I'm not fussed how it appears as I can't get a copy at all no matter what.

Do I have to close all other windows in order to snapshot the particular window I want a copy of?

"Ctrl + PrintScreen will get you an image of the whole screen (should be the same result as using PrintScreen on its own).

Alt + PrintScreen will get you an image of the currently active window.

Then paste into Paint or wherever you want the image."
When I opened Paint then paste it didn't work, I then tried Paint 3D & it pasted text, that of which I'd just recently copied & pasted i.e. not the image I want.

To find anything I have to type it in the search box & open from there.

I'm not using a mouse & the button has on it END & underneath is PRTSC

"place your cursor on the image to be copied and Right-Click and the Menu may offer you the Option to Copy Image .. if so, select it and that is you COPYING it to your Clipboard which then let's you PASTE it wherever you wish"

The image cannot be copied it can only be downloaded, it's from FindMyPast

Annie

ADD...I have no idea as to why the huge gap in the middle as it was all close together when I sent it