Author Topic: Screenshot on Toshiba Laptop & Windows 10 - HOW?  (Read 1839 times)

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Screenshot on Toshiba Laptop & Windows 10 - HOW?
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 12:14 BST (UK) »
1. Get Paint running but minimise it so it is not in the way of anything or at least drag it out the way so you can see what it is you want to copy.
2. Get the image of the newspaper to the forefront of the screen - i.e. there's nothing overlaying it, it has "focus" meaning it is the active window.
3. Hold Alt and press PrintScreen briefly. Nothing will appear to have happened.
4. Switch to Paint. Paste into Paint using Edit/Paste or Ctrl-V or whatever.
5. Then use "Save" in Paint to keep the image.

If you are using Firefox to view the newspaper article, there is a screen-capture built-in. Just right-click over the article and select "Take a Screenshot", use the mouse to highlight the bit you want (it will take a guess at what it is you are trying to capture so just keep moving the mouse around until the right bit is selected, or you can select the whole screen). Then you can Copy to the clipboard and paste into Paint, or Download which lets you save to the Desktop or local drive.

Taking a snapshot of the screen and then starting up Paint might flush the clipboard so always have Paint running in the background before you attempt to copy the screen or active window.

If you're really stuck, tell us where the article is and no doubt someone will get an image of it sent to you. :)

guest189040

« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 14:04 BST (UK) »
My Windows 10 PC

I press and hold the Windows key then press Print Screen

I open the App I want

Then press Ctrl and V  (works with Photos, Word and Photoshop)

I have reduced the file size of the image due to file limits on this forum

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 15:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks folks all appreciated,

I've tried everything stated to no avail...it's a pity they don't have a snip tool on their page.

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 16:17 BST (UK) »
What's wrong with the standard snipper tool?  I keep it on my task bar along with the calculator and the character map so that they're always handy.  I snip a newspaper article with the snipper [with a little bit of extra at the top] and save it under an appropriate name.  Then I open the saved file with Paint and write the name and date of the newspaper in that extra space.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

guest189040

« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 16:46 BST (UK) »
Have you tried pressing the

Windows Logo Key + Shift + S

You should get the drop down menu for Snip and the mouse cursor should change to Crosshair

Make the selection and it is save to the clipboard

The advice I gave you earlier should also work

Windows Logo key + Print Screen

This will copy the whole screen to Clipboard but should also put it in the Pictures folder inside the Screenshots folder/album

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 16:50 BST (UK) »
if you have a mobile phone, turn off automatic Flash and take a picture of the screen, then Send /Share that  by email, bluetooth or wi-fi or USB cable to your laptop.   
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline AngusMcCoatup

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 20:45 BST (UK) »
Try a tutorial such as this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DeOglvucFK4 to see if that helps you use the Snipping Tool.

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 May 20 00:17 BST (UK) »
Because laptop keyboards are smaller, they often have keys which have more than one purpose.

The keyboard on the only Toshiba I have handy has "PrtSc" as being Shift with "SysReq".

You will also find a key marked "Fn", which acts like Shift, Alt and Ctrl, modifying the action of other buttons.

The Toshiba has the Fn text in a different colour, and the associated function on other buttons in the matching colour. Thus , the "3" button produces a digit when used alone, "£" when used with Shift, and VolumeDown when used with Fn.

On the HP I am using right now, "PrtSc" is on the same button as "Insert". I need to press Fn to use the PrtSc action. Thus, to copy just the current window to the clipboard, I need Fn+Alt+SysReq, which on a full size keyboard would be Alt+PrtSc.

Each brand made their own decisions about where these odds and ends go, and sometimes they changed their minds when going from one model to another.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 May 20 00:51 BST (UK) »
Hi folks & thanks,

I have tried absolutely everything to no avail.

I then decided to try the same from a jpg & a word doc. already on my laptop, the snapshots of both were fine however, I can't get a screenshot from anything I view online?

Not sure where from here but it seems my 'reasonably priced' laptop may actually be a reject  :-\

A reminder to all, new to W10 i.e. anything added which wasn't on XP or Vista is unknown to me & alien  :D

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"