Author Topic: Diary - Tuesday 19 May 2020  (Read 872 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Tuesday 19 May 2020
« on: Tuesday 19 May 20 20:49 BST (UK) »
Diary

I was a bit on tenterhooks this morning waiting for my first bus en route home from nightshift.  Now more are going back to work I have heard this bus company will impose passenger limits for safety.  Apparently, I have heard no more than 11 on a single decker and 22 on a double decker.  I have been told if I put my hand out and the bus doesn't stop to pick me up it will be because the number limit is onboard and the bus driver has to follow the rules.  A colleague and I waited with bated breath this morning .. luckily the bus that came was a double decker this time and we were both able to get on.  More passengers than usual for these times, I noticed.

When I alighted at Newcastle for my second bus connection it seems to me that there is less of a 'Sunday' atmosphere about the place. 

I have noticed that getting a bus to nightshift is actually better now since the bus station is closed for resurfacing.  The buses are now leaving from St Mary's Place and they have been leaving  on the dot, exactly when they are meant to set off.  So I am not having to run now as I have occasionally had to.  On last night's first bus there was only me and one man as passengers.  We both had masks but he was wearing his with the elastic around his ears and the mouth/nose covering under his chin - like a chin support.  Some kind person (like Caroline), handy with a sewing machine has made me some masks for my bus travel.   :)

When I got in I had breakfast and straight to bed.  Fell asleep straightaway.  Unfortunately, I woke up far too soon, wide awake and was not been able to get back to sleep.  Although, I still feel very alert now, I think it might all catch up with me by the morning and I hope I don't end up with a headache.  I don't know exactly why I haven't been able to sleep adequately today.  I have been wondering what the weeks ahead might be like now and how this might impact on my getting home as more people return to work.   I wonder if this has been playing on my subconscious mind even though I am trying to just take one day at a time and seeing what happens.  Hopefully, if it turns out that bus drivers have to leave some workers behind in the morning as a regular occurrence, they might tell their bosses and bus services might be increased, perhaps.  Oh well, I will just have to wait and see how things develop.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Tuesday 19 May 2020
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 23:06 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear that the bus service is causing you such stress RTL, I hope the changes work out for you and you manage to get some proper rest.

I couldn't get to sleep last night and it was 5am before I went off, woke up at 9.15, I find it hard to function on so little sleep, will be going to bed after this.

Had some reviving cups of tea and decided to get out and do a bit of gardening and leave my walk till later. I wanted to take some plant cuttings that I can grow up the fence to replace the dead ivy, apparently it's best to take them earlier in the day. I think they mean very early but that would have meant before I actually went to sleep! Not my time of day anyhow. A warm but cloudy day, it was lovely and peaceful, no sign of the pesky neighbour. I wish they'd start the bin collection again for garden rubbish, I have so much stuff and was pulling more out. I filled one of the charity bags that was delivered the other day. I know that's not what they're for but they never collect them unless they have stuff in them. Not garden waste! Would have stayed out longer but I was getting hungry so came in for lunch.

Went online and found some expandable trellis at a reasonable price so ordered a few. My decision to go for my walk later was proving to be a bad one, I felt like I couldn't be bothered. That may have been due to the lack of sleep but I think I'll revert to my usual late morning walk, it was 2.30 by the time I went. Not so many people about today. A man was flying a kite for a little girl, she was sitting on the grass looking the other way, I think she was too young to fly it herself and was getting bored, although the man seemed to be enjoying himself.

Back home for a cuppa, was feeling tired but did some ironing while I watched a Place in the Sun on the plus one channel. It was in Cyprus, tormenting myself looking at where I should have been now.

Couldn't be bothered doing much cooking, luckily found a portion of curry in the freezer so had that for tea. Been feeling grumpy all day, often do if I'm tired. Watched some TV, a bit of family history research and now it's nearly time for bed.

Hope everyone has had a decent day.

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 00:50 BST (UK) »
RTL- I don't envy your bus trips at the moment... it all seems very hit and miss and not at all convenient for you. Having to catch two buses too you must be exhausted by the time you get to work! Hope things turn out a little better and frankly as your doing such an important job you should have priority over others. You stay remarkably cheerful and I have great admiration for you.

Roobarb- I'm sorry you're having such terrible nights sleep, I have every sympathy with you as I do too sometimes. I find the best way to try and get to sleep is to get in my most comfortable position and gradually relax my body starting with legs arms shoulders, face and relax the jaw... it's amazing how many times I'm clenching my jaw and with just relaxing it and the rest of your face by that time I'm usually asleep,,,, do give it a try and see if it helps.

My alarm woke me at 7 am with a real start... don't usually set it but wanted to be up early to get out...
Up, dressed in the car by just gone 7.30 ... didn't bother with breakfast...
Was on my way to Lidls, stopped at greengrocers, they weren't actually open yet busy getting deliveries done but said it was ok so chose lots nice fresh fruit and veg ...
Lidls was pretty empty, no having to queue, hardly anyone in there so got the few bit I needed then drove to Waitrose for my C & C ... got there at about 8.40 so took a chance ( collection time 9-11am) and called them apologised for being early... that's ok just give me a minute the chap said and all loaded in the car.... back home before 9am!
OH had unlocked the garage so bags straight in there...
most stuff left on bench to isolate, vegs/fruit were in a box... I'd put it all in there  loose on and some in paperbags myself so just put it all away!
Had a nice cuppa and breakfast!
Then jumped I the car to meet the girl who I was dropping the scrubs off to.... right day so all good, she gave me 4 tops someone else unable to finish as her machine given up the ghost and I said I'd do them..
Home... quick change as by this time it was hot and I'd still got jeans and long sleeve T and cardi on!
Had a chat with a friend who lives just outside the village on her farm, she's on her own, son cones most days to work the farm but she's quite isolated and must be feeling it especially now... we had a few laughs and hope I brightened her day up
Lunch time now still eating OH's bread,new batch to be made on Thursday so he informs me.
Sit out in the sunshine reading... got too hot so came indoors...
Decided I'd do some sewing as it's cool in that room...
Shower...
chicken salad for dinner sat outside it was lovely and quiet only the birds tweeting and flying about and clear blue sky...
Time for a Zoom with our friends from the village investment club, nice to see them all after a month and catch up... decide what shares we'd invest in and arrange next months neeting...
Sat and read trying to finish book came to bed and now finished...

Another day passes by, at least today seemed a little busier apart from sitting reading which in normal times I wouldn't do during the daytime 

I can hear the owls calling one another as I write this, love to hear them...
OH said he heard the foxes last night, they come and sit on our front lawn and can be quite noisy sometimes ... being at the back I don't hear them... or the dustmen either thank goodness as they come quite early!

Ah well night all hope you've had better day

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 08:17 BST (UK) »
Well done Caroline, definitely a successful day, and I hope the trellis helps alleviate your problem Roobarb. Very happy to know your bus journeys to work aren't causing too many problems for now RTL. I worked nights for the NHS for a long time, and I well remember how sick and dizzy I felt on my way home, and how frustrating it is not to be able to get into good sleep then.

I was awake to hear the dawn chorus, which is always a delight, but dropped off again waking around 7.
Left the flat around 7:40 to walk into town and get bread from the real baker which has reopened at last. It was so lovely; didn't see a single other pedestrian until I reached the bus station, but I did see lots of bees on flowers, a wren singing in full view, and a startled squirrel who got in a panic as he wasn't expecting my company.
After breakfast we walked over to the lakes and happily there were fewer people around than along the beach walk. Numbers of bird boxes netted good breeding results last year, and I was thrilled to capture 3 good images of a bluetit coming and going. I could hear the chicks cheeping inside the box. The marsh orchids have started flowering in the field, their bright magenta colour stands out in the grass.
A letter from my pen pal of 20 years arrived, which is always a morale booster.
A quiet afternoon, reading on the balcony and then another good long walk past the pier in the evening, while it was still warm as the wind had dropped away completely.
Watched an episode of the new Van Der Valk, and then bed but didn't sleep very well as I seem to have done a lot of coughing. That comes and goes since I started daily Ramipril, but I doubt it is sinister as I don't cough much in the day time.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Germany, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein, GUBLER in Switzerland, KONIG in Germany, KRONER  & PLACZEK in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 08:48 BST (UK) »
I think it is easy to feel down right now, this has gone on for longer than perhaps we anticipated, fortunately on this site people can prop others up when they feel down, me included,  a laugh here and there from various comments does the trick and a few kind words to people we may never meet but a joy to hear from, well done you Rootschatters

Best wishes to all and happy chattering

Louisa Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Lethbridge Paddington Slough
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes

Offline mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 10:29 BST (UK) »
@#4
Absolutely agree Louisa Maud.  :D
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Germany, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein, GUBLER in Switzerland, KONIG in Germany, KRONER  & PLACZEK in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 11:29 BST (UK) »
I feel the same too....
It's nice to know you're not the only person who at times is struggling....
Too hot to be outside today already 22C ...
Retreating to my sewing room at the front of the house where it's cool
When we lived abroad we'd close the shutters against the heat keep the house cool... had overhanging veranda's too and tiled floor.

Mustn't complain though as we've been so lucky to have warm weather but gardens need the rain. OH has already emptied one of his waterbutts on the vegs and had to use the hose the other night!

Catch up later, enjoy the beach mowsehouse it must be lovely if you've got sunshine all glistening off the sea and the gentle swell, smell of salt and wonderful vistas...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 11:39 BST (UK) »
Hahaha....
You would think so, but a thick mist has rolled in and the view is obliterated, though there is little wind right now, so l can sit out on the balcony.  :D

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 21:17 BST (UK) »
I completely agree too Louisa Maud, my fellow Rootschatters have been a great support to me and I like reading about everyone's day.  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales