Author Topic: Bevis Marks Records II and V - Look up request please  (Read 2937 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bevis Marks Records II and V - Look up request please
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 30 May 20 08:36 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Going back to a couple of questions you raised, Emma, in earlier posts.

Emmanuel (or Immanuel) is a Hebrew name meaning "God is with us". Judging by the marriage register of the Great Synagogue, it was not particularly common (76 grooms in 4300 marriages). Moreover, it was used exclusively as a secular name; the men usually having the Hebrew name Menachem.

In the 18 years that I have been doing Jewish genealogy, I have not come across a man with the Hebrew name Shlomo using the secular name Benjamin. The GS records report 114 grooms called Shlomo. Over 90% were known by the secular name Solomon, none by the name Benjamin.

Sealing wax was presumably the wax used to seal letters; not part of the guilding process.

All the best, Justin

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 30 May 20 11:02 BST (UK) »
Emma,

Here are few more couples that are worth investigating. All married in the Great Synagogue.

1840 Matilda Myers (Hebr. Mata d/o Binyamin known as Volf) and Moses Moses (Her. Mosheh s.o Shmuel known as Zanvil)

1847 Sarah Myers (Hebr. Sarah d/o Binyamin) and Joseph Charles Jacobs (Hebr. Yosef-Nachma s/o Ya'acov)

1851 Henry Myers (Hebr. Tsvi known as Hirsh s/o Binyamin, known as Volf, the Levite) and Rebecca Dowsing (Hebr. Rebkah d/o Abraham, our father - meaning that she was illegitimate)

I won't go into the reasons here, but a lot of men with the Hebrew name Binyamin were known as Wolf.

From the birth register of the New Synagogue:

1830 Henry Myers (Hebr. Tsvi s/o Binyamin s/o Yoel)
1833 Matilda Myers (Merle d/o Binyamin s/o Yoel)

The family address was High Street, Borough. Wrong part of London, but who knows where they were before 1830.

Added: Benjamin Myers of Borough was a tailor and draper.

Justin

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 14:48 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

Going back to a couple of questions you raised, Emma, in earlier posts.

Emmanuel (or Immanuel) is a Hebrew name meaning "God is with us". Judging by the marriage register of the Great Synagogue, it was not particularly common (76 grooms in 4300 marriages). Moreover, it was used exclusively as a secular name; the men usually having the Hebrew name Menachem.

In the 18 years that I have been doing Jewish genealogy, I have not come across a man with the Hebrew name Shlomo using the secular name Benjamin. The GS records report 114 grooms called Shlomo. Over 90% were known by the secular name Solomon, none by the name Benjamin.

Sealing wax was presumably the wax used to seal letters; not part of the guilding process.

All the best, Justin

Hello Justin,
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner.
Thank you for explaining the meaning of the name Emmanuel and that people usually have the name Menachem, I guess this excludes Emmanuel husband of Catherine admitted to Bedlam as being a candidate for Benjamin which is helpful. It is also helpful to know know that there is not likely to be a Solomon who was also known as Benjamin as it narrows down my field of possibles.

The fact that Isaac snr states on 3 marriage certificates that his father was a sealing wax maker has lead me looking for all sorts of possibilities of where sealing wax could be applied to see if there is a Benjamin Myers with a linked trade such as tallow chandler (as I can't find a Benjamin Myers sealing wax maker in the census records). Interestingly there is an Edward Myers in St James', a master tallow chandler (and member of the guild) who went bankrupt in 1787 (I never found him to have a son called Benjamin though looking at the conventional records). As Isaac and his son Issac were in the confectionary trade I had wondered whether wax was used to seal confectionary products and investiagted that in the hope I might find some glimmer of hope!!!! Maybe liquid molasses when bottled were sealed with wax? Who knows.
I did find a Levi Myers in 1841 in St James Juke with his family in 1841 and he was a confectioner and cook si I guess he is another person to investigate!

Many thanks for your help.

Best wishes, Emma
Sweetland (Chard/Yarcoombe/Honiton)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Boultern/Boulton (Reading)
Crowther (Wolverhampton/Wednesbury/Birmingham)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Cosby (Leighton Buzzard/Woodstock/Kidlington)
Hope (Oxford/Kidlington/Woodstock)
Williams (Yorkshire/Conisborough)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Draper Smith (Bow Brickhill/Woburn Sands)
Smith (Woburn Sands)

Offline emjsw

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 02 June 20 14:53 BST (UK) »
Emma,

Here are few more couples that are worth investigating. All married in the Great Synagogue.

1840 Matilda Myers (Hebr. Mata d/o Binyamin known as Volf) and Moses Moses (Her. Mosheh s.o Shmuel known as Zanvil)

1847 Sarah Myers (Hebr. Sarah d/o Binyamin) and Joseph Charles Jacobs (Hebr. Yosef-Nachma s/o Ya'acov)

1851 Henry Myers (Hebr. Tsvi known as Hirsh s/o Binyamin, known as Volf, the Levite) and Rebecca Dowsing (Hebr. Rebkah d/o Abraham, our father - meaning that she was illegitimate)

I won't go into the reasons here, but a lot of men with the Hebrew name Binyamin were known as Wolf.

From the birth register of the New Synagogue:

1830 Henry Myers (Hebr. Tsvi s/o Binyamin s/o Yoel)
1833 Matilda Myers (Merle d/o Binyamin s/o Yoel)

The family address was High Street, Borough. Wrong part of London, but who knows where they were before 1830.

Added: Benjamin Myers of Borough was a tailor and draper.

Justin

Hello Justin,
Thanks so much for these additional people to investigate, you never know who might lead you somewhere.
I think I read about a Benjamin Myers in the British Newspaper Archives who was a tailor and accidently injured a child by riding his horse and cart 'furiously' down Oxford Street. I wonder if it is the same man who you mention above!

I will investigate these people and take a look for them in the census records to see what I can find. I will also look into the name Wolf as I have seen a few Wolf Myers, thanks for letting me know there is a connection with the name Benjamin.

It is nice to have hope of the possibility of finding something after banging my head against a brick wall for so long!!

Best wishes, Emma
Sweetland (Chard/Yarcoombe/Honiton)
Garret/Stacey (Somerset)
Boultern/Boulton (Reading)
Crowther (Wolverhampton/Wednesbury/Birmingham)
Myres (Wolverhampton)
Palmer (Nottingham)
Cosby (Leighton Buzzard/Woodstock/Kidlington)
Hope (Oxford/Kidlington/Woodstock)
Williams (Yorkshire/Conisborough)
Draper (Bow Brickhill)
Draper Smith (Bow Brickhill/Woburn Sands)
Smith (Woburn Sands)