Author Topic: South Australia - Hangaratta?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: South Australia - Hangaratta?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 21 May 20 01:54 BST (UK) »
I have just noted that in my previous post, have duplicated information already located.
Apologies. I will edit the post.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 21 May 20 02:53 BST (UK) »
I would agree with others that it's likely the place referred to is Wangaratta and the vague newspaper reference found by Mckha489 and transcribed also by Sparret is possibly about this man's death. I think "South Australia" may just mean southern Australia.

In Victoria it was only in July 1853 that BMDs were to be recorded by the local government registrar.  Church records were still kept and were supposed to be passed on but I suspect this may not have always happened especially at the start of the new requirements.

Unfortunately for this search the current Wangaratta cemetery was established in the 1860s so there would be no record of a burial there in 1853.  A burial of a George Gray in Wangaratta in 1853 has this comment: Records state that he was buried "Old Hospital Cemetery, Wangaratta, Victoria"  There is also a comment on a brochure of historic sites in Wangaratta that The township’s first cemetery is situated near the original junction of the Ovens and King Rivers.

Wangaratta Family History Society may be worth trying.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 21 May 20 03:47 BST (UK) »
There was some sort of cemetery at Wangaratta at that time.

Wed 16th Feb 1853. 'The Empire' Sydney. Section The Ovens

https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/60132323

(This is not about your man)

.....opposition to the funeral was with-drawn, and the cart with the coffin started for the cemetery at Wangaratta , followed by the relatives ....and many others ......

Sue

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 May 20 04:03 BST (UK) »
I agree Sue - possibly the Pioneer cemetery mentioned above and on p2 of this brochure. (Page 2 is up the right way!)

https://www.visitwangaratta.com.au/wp-content/uploads/sites/39/2017/02/Wangaratta-Heritage-Walk-brochure.pdf

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 May 20 05:25 BST (UK) »
My apologies all round: I found a handwritten inquest with witnesses at PROV for Harry unknown and he drowned in the Yarra River in Melbourne in Oct 1853. So its not the man we were seeking, who drowned at Wangaratta in Sept 1853.

HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 21 May 20 06:23 BST (UK) »
My apologies all round: I found a handwritten inquest with witnesses at PROV for Harry unknown and he drowned in the Yarra River in Melbourne in Oct 1853. So its not the man we were seeking, who drowned at Wangaratta in Sept 1853.

Ahh
Tending to think Judith is on the track there with the notion that the record never reached the registrar.
Obviously there were reasonably full details given somewhere or how else did the news reach the family in England.
Sue

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 21 May 20 08:00 BST (UK) »
My thanks to you all  ;D

I am pleased that the actual town has been identified ;)
A burial record would be a bonus,but that looks increasingly unlikely.
I was aware that this would be from the early days of Australian records, so my expectations on that score were low.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 22 May 20 05:08 BST (UK) »
The Essex Standard report says: September 29th 1853 at Hangaratta, South Australia, accidentally drowned crossing a creek, in the 23rd year of his age, Henry, the fourth son of Abraham Garrad, of Colchester

Maybe if his body was not recovered they might not have been able to register his death hence why no death reg. can be found??

Offline shume

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 22 May 20 06:38 BST (UK) »
re Giblet suggestion:
That's a real possibility for the times: I was tracing a man who drowned in a lake in NZ in 1862 and all I found was a news item and his wife remarried my ancestor a few months later in the same small mining town.
HUME: Fermanagh, Donegal,Sligo,Australia
PASFIELD: Essex, London
SHAW/STANLEY: Co Waterford,Ireland, Australia