Author Topic: London, England, Electoral Registers, 1920v- 1922  (Read 1224 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
London, England, Electoral Registers, 1920v- 1922
« on: Wednesday 20 May 20 11:40 BST (UK) »
Can anybody tell me when electoral registers were compiled?

I am interested in a lady, Ure Beatrice Holden, who remarried during the WW1, apparently thinking that her first husband Alfred Ward was dead. She had children by both men, before and after the war

1921 census when it becomes available will be interesting, but in 1920 she had a child by her first husband. They emigrated to Australia in January 1922, but she very promptly returned to the second husband, Ernest Hubbard.

In 1921 electoral registers she is living alone, at 31, Chalton Street, under the name of Hubbard. 1922 - 1925 electoral registers she is living with second husband at 77, Chalton Street, under the name of Hubbard.

So, my query is, when would the information from 1922 have been compiled? I am trying to work out exactly what happened, but it is very complicated!

Regards Margaret

Modified: 1921 record is Ure Beatrice Hubbard, Provision dealer London PO Directory, living at 38, Chalton Street.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: London, England, Electoral Registers, 1920v- 1922
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 12:34 BST (UK) »
From15.10.1918 - 1926  ER's were compiled twice yearly

See

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Electoral_Rolls_or_Registers_in_England

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 13:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Carole.

She left for Australia in Jan 1922 on board Demosthenes, no return record found. But by Mar Q 1923 she was back in UK, a daughter born Hubbard MMN Holden. This could have been Alfred Ward's child, I suppose, conceived in Australia.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 15:22 BST (UK) »
I bet she got a shock when her husband turned up alive and well
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 15:35 BST (UK) »
Is she living under another surname in Wales in 1939?  Her baptismal entry shows her birthdate as 23.1.1891 and there is a match to the christian name

Can't see another marriage though

EDIT
Deaths
Ure Beatrice Langley aged 83  Birth 23 Jan 1891
June qtr 1974  Hendon  13  0531

EDIT

Per tree on Ancestry - Ernest Hubbard died 1951 & Edward Ward 1971.  An Albert Edward Langley died 1977   

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 16:04 BST (UK) »
Yes, Carole.

Quite a chequered history.  She was my 1st cousin, twice removed.

I have been in touch with the Australian branch of the family since 2010, gradually we pieced together her life.

She married Alfred Ward in 1909, had 3 children before he went off to war in 1915.

She married again in 1917 as a widow, her first husband arrived back the following year. I have been told that she was informed that he was missing, presumed dead, whereas in fact he was a POW.

They went off to Australia in 1922 as I said, she returned to England, further child born as Hubbard the following year.

Tracing her rather unusual first name through electoral registers she ended up with Albert Edward Langley. He is in Wembley in 1939. I don't think they married, as both Alfred Ward and Ernest Hubbard were both still alive, but she lived as Langley until she died in 1974.

Regards Margaret

Online Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 17:45 BST (UK) »

Quite a chequered history.  She was my 1st cousin, twice removed.

I have been in touch with the Australian branch of the family since 2010, gradually we pieced together her life.

She married Alfred Ward in 1909, had 3 children before he went off to war in 1915.

She married again in 1917 as a widow, her first husband arrived back the following year. I have been told that she was informed that he was missing, presumed dead, whereas in fact he was a POW.

They went off to Australia in 1922 as I said, she returned to England, further child born as Hubbard the following year.

Tracing her rather unusual first name through electoral registers she ended up with Albert Edward Langley. He is in Wembley in 1939.

I don't think they married, as both Alfred Ward and Ernest Hubbard were both still alive, but she lived as Langley until she died in 1974.

Did Ure have relatives in Wales?

You may already have this.......free to search 1939 Register

Port Talbot, Glamorganshire, Wales
Ure B Langley
J E Langley Spetch 1930 (FreeBMD 1931 J E Langley mmn HOLDEN, married 1950 Hendon)
One closed record

Interesting that her son Ernest H Hubbard b1918 (mmn Holden) his death entry also surname Langley and he's with Alfred in Wembley

Ernest Henry LANGLEY born 5 11 1918
Dec 1996 Ipswich
District number   7471D
Register number   D17B
Entry number   271

Edit to add

apologies CaroleW I didn't notice your reply at no 4 mentioning Wales  ::)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 20:28 BST (UK) »
Ladyhawk

Jean Elizabeth Langley born 1930 to Ure Beatrice and Albert Edward Langley.

The closed record is assumed to be Ure J Hubbard, born 14 Jan 1923.
Found out today that she was known as Joyce Ure Langley, can be found in marriage and death records.

I have only recently found out about Ernest Henry Hubbard, who is shown as Langley in 1939, and contacted his daughter.

My Australian contact knew nothing about her, she knew nothing about him, so half cousins! I'm still waiting to hear from him, but English contact thrilled!

But still trying to find out exactly what happened between 1920 and 1922.
If Joyce was born 14 Jan 1923, there is hardly time for Ure Beatrice Holden to go to Australia in Jan 1922 and return to Ernest Hubbard by, say, April 1922.

I have been told that the shipping record in Jan 22 was for Alfred, Beatrice and Steven/Stephen Ward. Perhaps Beatrice was not in fact Ure Beatrice, perhaps she stayed in UK all along?

Intriguing

Regards Margaret

Online Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 May 20 16:26 BST (UK) »

still trying to find out exactly what happened between 1920 and 1922.

If Joyce was born 14 Jan 1923, there is hardly time for Ure Beatrice Holden to go to Australia in Jan 1922 and return to Ernest Hubbard by, say, April 1922.

I have been told that the shipping record in Jan 22 was for Alfred, Beatrice and Steven/Stephen Ward.

Perhaps Beatrice was not in fact Ure Beatrice, perhaps she stayed in UK all along?

Intriguing

Yes very intriguing

Here's a snippet of 1922 passenger list
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk