Author Topic: General discussion on current situation  (Read 12519 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: General discussion on current situation
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 17:58 BST (UK) »

News headline this morning "Ryanair boss blasts U.K.'s idiotic 14 day quarantine plan". We should have been doing this way back at the start of the outbreak. He comes under the category of wealthy.

I saw a report that Michael O'Leary said most people will ignore the quarantine. How will the government enforce it, or will it be more "advice". My brother is due to go on a business trip to an EU country in 3 months. (Planned last autumn as part of a several year project). His employer has said if 14 day quarantine is still in place by then, he has to take the 14 days after he returns to UK out of his annual leave.
If it was a holiday - fair enough, but when his employer is sending him abroad, I think it's outrageous. He has had to go into his workplace almost every day through the so called lockdown, even though he could do quite a lot from home.
He has a statutory right to join a trade union and get the legal protection he is entitled to.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 18:06 BST (UK) »
Can you only get legal protection if you belong to a trade union?.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 19 May 20 20:32 BST (UK) »
Can you only get legal protection if you belong to a trade union?.
No! But the costs are prohibitive to an individual. If you are wealthy enough to go to law, you are usually the one who is doing the kicking, NOT the victim. Everyone has access to the law, if they can afford it!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 14:27 BST (UK) »
I was looking out of the bedroom window, a man was walking by, he stopped and coughed then spat on the pavement outside my house. Later on my walk I noticed a lot of chewing gum "lumps" by the bus stop. Together with all the discarded masks and gloves and dog mess the pavements don't feel safe! I use a walker like Sir Tom, I feel the need to clean the wheels before I come back in, I already change shoes anyway.
rayard.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 18:14 BST (UK) »

Hand Washing is now critical after using the Toilet and before Eating because Medical Reports from Abroad show Non-Respiratory Covid-19 has been found in the Human gut and other organs.

That's not the only reason for washing hands. Why do people need to be told to wash their hands after  visiting toilet? Answer must be because some lack common-sense.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 18:35 BST (UK) »
Quote from: Redroger link=topic=831303.msg6956613#msg6956613 date=1589907489
He has a statutory right to join a trade union and get the legal protection he is entitled to.
[/quote
Every worker should join a union imo.
There should also be more health & safety inspectors.
Cowban

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 19:07 BST (UK) »
I'm absolutely horrified at what the children who do go back to school on June 1st will be expected to do. I was sent a letter from a friend who has a child in Year 6.

They will be in "bubbles" of 8 to 10 children and an adult and must stay with them all the time. Social distancing in classrooms so no sitting or talking with friends. Nothing from home to be brought in, including packed lunch, that will be supplied by the school. Staggered arrival and leaving school, staggered playtimes where they will be required to stay in a limited space, no ball games or anything that involves contact. No computers as that would mean sharing. Only lessons will be Maths, English and PSHE.
Remember this is the time when year 6 would normally be relaxing after SATs, going on school trips, practicing  for end of term plays and visiting Secondary schools.

Even worse for Reception and Year 1 - small groups, no movement around the room or free play. No toys, sand, play dough etc. Adults not to bend down to talk to children or to touch them unless an emergency. If a child falls over or has an "accident" adults will be expected to put on PPE before dealing with it. Playtimes will be segregated as well into small groups and children not allowed on climbing frames etc. Because of the space in the school they will only be allowed to attend 2 days a week so groups A and B two days and groups C and D another 2. No parents allowed in the school.

I know all those are very necessary for the health of the children and adults, but they would be far better waiting and going back in September. I hate to think what it is going to do to the very young ones - put them off school for life!

As it was made clear it was parents' choice, my friend has decided her son won't be going back.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 20:32 BST (UK) »
Some young children are already becoming anxious about meeting people.
Are children in Reception class 4-5 years?
Perhaps schools are following the example of segregated prisons in 19th century where each prisoner had his own cell and wasn't allowed contact with other inmates. Some left prison with mental problems.
Some local authorities in northern England are reluctant to open schools.
Scottish school term ends late June and new school year begins mid-August. Nicola Sturgeon is setting out a Plan tomorrow.   
Cowban

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 20:38 BST (UK) »
Today - a week-day!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-52742519

Is everyone still on holiday? - I mean furlough
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott