Author Topic: General discussion on current situation  (Read 12514 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: General discussion on current situation
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 21:16 BST (UK) »
Today - a week-day!
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-52742519

Is everyone still on holiday? - I mean furlough

Perhaps if there had been better communication between central and local government a fortnight ago?
Cowban

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 21 May 20 07:26 BST (UK) »
And in Scotland hwere the rules haven't been relaxed

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-52747041

No-one fined ! So they laugh at the police and do it again today
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 21 May 20 16:10 BST (UK) »
The most awful thing is finding yourself thinking that there'll be a surge in infections after some people thinking they are ok to relax the social distancing disciplines,

which will 'serve them right' and then realising that this isn't

NUMBERS,

it's PEOPLE and

MOTHERS/FATHERS/GRANDPARENTS/CHILDREN

and of course the knock on effect on the NHS and its workers.

The only thing to do is to continue to self-distance yourself insofar as you can, and encourage others to do so, and to continue taking every precaution with regard to cleaning/washing your hands etc.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 21 May 20 23:25 BST (UK) »
I wonder how many of those sunbathing on crowded beaches yesterday, went outside tonight at 8pm to clap the NHS and key workers? Let's hope that in a week or so time they don't need their services. It must be dreadful for all the hospital workers, who are finally seeing ICU beds being freed up, to realise that because of the thoughtlessness and selfishness of some people they may soon be full again.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 22 May 20 13:09 BST (UK) »
And it's not just litter the day trippers leave

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-52760735

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 22 May 20 15:41 BST (UK) »
I think we can deduce that the lockdown is all but over, given the number of people congregating in different places these past few days - mostly because there was a bit of sunshine. No doubt, weather permitting, it will be repeated this next Bank Holiday (another one?!) weekend.

I don't know why Boris & co are bothering any more. Why worry about whether schools should be re-opened or not if all the little darlings have just been taken for an away day to the seaside to socially un-distance from hundreds of others?

I'm still staying at home, partly because I don't 'do' crowds and partly because I'm of an age and existing condition to take precautions. I'm sitting at my computer with the windows open and I can hear children (who should normally be in school) playing football and screaming (don't you just love other people's children?!!) and quite a few more voices as people pass under my window. A week or so ago it was so peaceful you could hear the birds singing and not much else. I liked it! I'm seriously thinking of becoming a Greta Thunberg convert!!

Bring back lockdown, I say!   ;)

Seriously, its over - accept it, Boris, and move on. People didn't take to 'being alert' because they're only really bothered about themselves and what they're doing - no one else. Except, of course, most of them will make a show of doing the Thursday Clap (that well known disease, loved that description!). Most of these people with the clap just want to be noticed: e.g. a neighbour of mine who often makes a show of bringing a ruddy great horsebox into this very small cul de sac, has a rainbow style placard outside her house made up of different coloured rosettes that she's presumably won for her horsiness. It says 'thanks' at the top but that's presumably 'thanks for the excuse to show off'.

Let us more vulnerable but sensible beings carry on 'staying safe' and lets all stand back and see what happens in a couple of weeks time. The virus will either be gone or be back with a vengeance and, if the latter, we can start this particular dance all over again. Who knows?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 22 May 20 16:26 BST (UK) »
Glad you appreciated my "Thursday Clap", Jillruss
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 22 May 20 16:39 BST (UK) »
You may be pleased to know that the instigator of "Clap for Carers", Annemarie Plas, thinks that it has now had it's day, and that next Thursday should be the last one.   :'( :'(

Not sure whether the NHS is expecting a surge in cases.  I've just received a letter cancelling my out-patient appointment - "Due to the current climate we are expecting a high volume of inpatient care at this Trust and following the advice from Public Health England to all Trusts, it is with regret that we need to cancel your appointment ..."
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY