Author Topic: General discussion on current situation  (Read 12451 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: General discussion on current situation
« Reply #54 on: Friday 22 May 20 19:55 BST (UK) »
Hairdressers, and tattoo artists? Hardly essential, are they? I can't think of many more things totally 'un-distant'.

Hairdressers in Scotland unlikely to open for a while yet. They are scheduled to resume business during Phase 3 of the 4 phases moving from lockdown to near normality. Scottish Gov. expects to move to Phase 1 on 28th May. https://www.gov.scot/publications/?cat=filter&page=2
Tattoo artists are among the most inessential businesses I can think of.
Cowban

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 22 May 20 21:52 BST (UK) »
I ahve already decided that I will not be rushing to the hairdressers when they reopen, it will be a nightmare getting an appointment and I can't be bothered with it.  As soon as I get my hands on my hair after my first wash the benefits of the appointment are at least 50% gone as I'm so bad at it.

They are reopening our tip on 15th June I'm waiting to July as I predict  lots of long queues another thing I both can't be bothered with and have so much else I need to do.  I won't be going to the pub when it reopens as it doesn't feel safe (didn't really go to the pub anyway).
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Friday 22 May 20 22:30 BST (UK) »
I went to our tip second day after opening. They had said on website they were going to be directing traffic, please be patient etc etc. 
off I went, orange cones stopped my entry from the direction I was coming, had to go past and turn around came back went in.  There were the grand total of three cars. Less than an on a normal busy day without orange cones.  And usually we go out by the entrance, but they have rigged up an alternate exit so it’s much better. I am hoping they realise and keep it that way!

Except for the lack of tourist buses and camper vans (which is going to have a HUGE effect on the town as we have so many eating places for them) town felt almost like normal. The only obvious signs are the bottles of sanitiser in all the doorways, and QR codes starting to be put up on doors for our contact tracing app. It’s a small town, only about 8000 population, so it’s not jam packed in the streets at any time (except perhaps the Christmas parade).

It wouldn’t surprise me if the hand sanitiser became a permanent fixture, you can see people really like the idea, and if as they say is likely the virus becomes part of the back ground disease burden improved hygiene is going to be our only defence isn’t it. 

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Friday 22 May 20 22:40 BST (UK) »
Once my clippers arrive from Hong Kong it'll be a much needed "Coos Lick!"  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Friday 22 May 20 23:14 BST (UK) »
Just to add: From 1st June I will be able to get a hair cut ;D ;D

Envy!

Ditto  ::) ;D ;D

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Friday 22 May 20 23:51 BST (UK) »
I'm with pharma reply 53 on all counts. People going to tip here will have to take proof of residence. Only 1 person allowed to get out of car. No heavy items as staff won't assist.
Even when the recycling depot in my area operated normally, inconsiderate people dumped stuff nearby. I dread to think what it's like now.
Cowban

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Saturday 23 May 20 06:59 BST (UK) »
OH and I have both had our hair cut - he cut mine, and I cut his  :)  We're usually away on holiday at this time of the year and we invested in a set of clippers some years ago so that we could still appear fairly neat and tidy throughout our stay on the campsite.  They were resurrected earlier this week.  :)
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Saturday 23 May 20 07:07 BST (UK) »
True, Scottish Tory MSP used his chance to question the First Minister the other day, in the midst of this great pandemic, to ask her what provision was being made to take croquet out of the lockdown?  ;D

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Saturday 23 May 20 09:10 BST (UK) »

They are reopening our tip on 15th June I'm waiting to July as I predict  lots of long queues another thing I both can't be bothered with and have so much else I need to do.  I won't be going to the pub when it reopens as it doesn't feel safe (didn't really go to the pub anyway).

Our tip has been open for about a week and everyday there has been a half mile line of cars queuing up to go in. I have been past at various times of the day and the queue never seems to get less.
Normally even at weekends there is seldom a queue beyond the tip gates.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.