Author Topic: e-mail  (Read 1168 times)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« on: Wednesday 20 May 20 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,
First I have no technical knowledge of computers, my son always deals with all this but we are on
lock down and he is miles away.
My problem is that I subscribe to a well known Genealogy site, do not get notification when they are about to take my subscription and no other e-mail contact even though I have ticked the necessary boxes to receive info. Note emails are not going into spam or junk.

I sent them an email asking why, they now say that before they can forward my complaint I must clear cache and cookies and view e-mails on chrome to see if any email they send works.

My e-mails and other things are connected to my lap top.
I will not be doing as they ask.

Can anyone explain why I have received their emails about my complaint but have not received others prior to this?

Bet you all think this is a stupid question but please help.

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
Re: e-mail
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 20:13 BST (UK) »
It's possible that as many emails regarding payments, forum replies etc are sent automatically that your system (or even your internet providers system) decided that they were junk mail or spam and treated them accordingly. The later email contact would have been sent directly to you and treated differently.

Clearing the cache and cookies is probably a good idea as the garbage picked up over time can sometimes slow your machine down and contribute to browser failures. The major downside to this is the initial loss of passwords for various sites which will require to be resubmitted (there are various tools available which will enable you to save the important cookies and ditch the garbage)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 20:32 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Falkyrn.

Spendlove

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 21:19 BST (UK) »
Your son can operate your computer from a distance through the internet if you both alter the settings to allow it.  A Windows process which used to be called Team Viewer needs to be switched ON and Authenticated for him to be able to check your computer remotely.  They may have changed the name of this process but I'll check for you.  When you've sorted the email problem switch it all back off again so that no Hackers can access your computer remotely.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 21:22 BST (UK) »
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/windows/
There is a version for Apple, Linux and Android and Windows.  Ask your son to check it out first
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 May 20 16:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Ian

Thanks for your reply, my son is under lot of pressure at present with his occupation, so will discuss all this with him when things ease, which is why I have not bothered him.

I now understand about generated emails.

Thanks
Spendlove

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 May 20 02:23 BST (UK) »
Hi,
First I have no technical knowledge of computers, my son always deals with all this but we are on
lock down and he is miles away.
My problem is that I subscribe to a well known Genealogy site, do not get notification when they are about to take my subscription and no other e-mail contact even though I have ticked the necessary boxes to receive info. Note emails are not going into spam or junk.

I sent them an email asking why, they now say that before they can forward my complaint I must clear cache and cookies and view e-mails on chrome to see if any email they send works.

My e-mails and other things are connected to my lap top.
I will not be doing as they ask.

Can anyone explain why I have received their emails about my complaint but have not received others prior to this?

Bet you all think this is a stupid question but please help.

Spendlove

Does site begin with 'G'?   If so, I normally get an email from them when renewal is due and I subsequently renew.   However, yesterday I got an email from them stating they had been unable to renew as my card details had obviously changed.   So, if my card details had been okay they would have automatically processed the renewal and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have emailed me telling me I was now subscribed for another year.   

So, I've just been on site to check and it now says 'Auto Renew On' and I have never agreed to this - it's always been 'Auto Renew Off' which is why I usually get a reminder from them.   Sounds like they could have done something to their site and those of us marked 'Off' have been changed by them to 'On'.

I used to get emails from them during the course of a yearly subscription - not many I'm pleased to say just 3/4 maybe.  However, have had none at all during the past 12 months until this recent one stating they hadn't been able to renew.   And, no, nothing has been going into my spam box.

Whatever is going on the fault lies with them who appear to have changed our preferences with no consultation whatsoever.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 May 20 10:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Annette,

No the site begins with A, have just checked and you can only stop auto renewal on UK site by cancelling your subscription, as far as I can understand, will stand being corrected on this.

They have come back to me and now agreed to pass on my complaint so I await to see if they
can solve the problem.

If they cannot solve the problem, have decided I will cancel my sub when it runs out.

It is not a vital problem, but have pointed out that it cannot be legal for them to take payments
without notice.

When my son is less busy will tell him about the problem - know I will get
OH MOTHER! OR I TOLD YOU TO TAKE A COURSE YEARS AGO.

Many thanks for your interest.
Spendlove

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 May 20 11:09 BST (UK) »
they now say that before they can forward my complaint I must clear cache and cookies and view e-mails on chrome to see if any email they send works.

That is their stock answer!

Do you have another email address, if so you could change it on Ancestry so that replies come to that and see if it works.

I guess the reason you got a reply was that you emailed them and they replied to that rather than it going through their generated process. It's always worth on any site to keep checking that auto renew is still turned off. Ancestry are usually pretty good at refunding payments taken in error as long as you do it quickly.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk