Author Topic: How best to use Newspapers.com search function?  (Read 216 times)

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
How best to use Newspapers.com search function?
« on: Wednesday 20 May 20 19:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
I recently bought a 1 month subscription and have been trying to make the most of the search function, but I can't help but feel that it is limited compared to the British Newspaper Archive.

On Newspapers.com there doesn't seem to be a way to search for two separate words/phrases that appear close by.
For example, on the British Newspaper Archive I have often been successful in finding people by searching for a NAME + ADDRESS/VILLAGE/OCCUPATION.

When searching in the USA on Newspapers.com however, I can only search a name or an address/occupation/etc, but not both together.

If I try to search "James Lees" "Carpenter" it just searches for the whole phrase together, rather than two separate phrases within the same paragraph. Am I making sense?

Does anyone know whether there's a way to search like that?
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

See the project website @ ulsterlees.azurewebsites.net

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: How best to use Newspapers.com search function?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 20:01 BST (UK) »
I'm sure others will have other suggestions, but I put the name in quotes and then follow with descriptive words:  i.e.  in the case of an obit; "James Lee" carpenter wife surviving Hobson (if one of the married children's name is Hobson

In the above case, only those papers including all of the above descriptive terms will be shown.  You can adjust to meet your searching criteria.

MODIFIED:  in the above name, "James Lee" only those papers with that name will show.  If his name is "James R Lee" or "James Robert Lee" then those names would have to replace "James Lee"
Atkinson, Wearing/Warton Lanc, : Hayhurst,Kendall/Kirkby Lonsdale West,Barrow-in-Furness Lanc: John Thomas of Garthgel, Llanfyllin, and Llangyniew, Wales: James Lloyd of Montgomeryshire and Denbighshire: Rowland Charles and Rowland Wynne of Denbighshire

Offline TunjiLees

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: How best to use Newspapers.com search function?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 May 20 08:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your advice Genealiza, I'll give that a go!
LEES/LEE - Interested in all Northern Irish families, particularly those from Cos. Londonderry, Tyrone, & Antrim.

See the project website @ ulsterlees.azurewebsites.net