Author Topic: Diary > Wednesday 20th May  (Read 832 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Wednesday 20th May
« on: Wednesday 20 May 20 22:42 BST (UK) »
Starting this before I go and have a bath, one of my new paperbacks arrived yesterday so I have something to read while I'm soaking!

Beautiful hot, sunny day today. Had slept well, went for my walk late a.m., was quite quiet so got a bit longer walk through the woods. Back home and out in the garden, hot already. Washed the groceries I'd left in the garage when I got my last delivery, did it on the garden table, put them away. Had lunch then got my lounging chair out in the garden, shorts and strappy top on, Kindle at hand, aahh! Sunbathing for a while then did some lawn edging at the end of the garden, nasty neighbour's daughter seems to have decided to come and stay with her, was there last night and again tonight it seems, she only lives a mile up the road. Social distancing? What social distancing?!!  >:(  Stops her haunting me though.

Finally came in late afternoon, did some housework. Made a salad for tea, used some lettuce I'd grown, not very big but needed thinning out, nice and fresh anyway. Tinned mackerel with it, it's vitamin D day!

Watched some TV, will watch the Sewing Bee another day. I wish they'd stop saying 'arms' instead of 'sleeves'. Some Rootschatting, that's it for my day.

Have been wondering when I'll be able to cope with getting out again, apparently FOMO (fear of missing out) has been replace by FOGO (fear of going out). I've got FOGO. I was talking to a friend on the phone the other day, she kept having to prompt me with the words I was looking for. I hadn't spoken to anyone for four days, I told her that I think I'm becoming socially inept. Heaven knows how long that will take to get over, we shall see. Eventually.

Hope you've all had a good day as much as possible and buses have worked out for RTL.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Wednesday 20th May
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 May 20 23:35 BST (UK) »
Roobarb - So pleased to hear you had a good sleep and sounding more cheerful today! Brave of you being out in the sunshine most of the day... far too hot here up to about 27c this afternoon! Think I had enough yesterday so didn't want to tempt fate....

Up fairly early... OH still up before me, not sure what's the matter with him as I'm always up first... didn't ask...
At 9am it was already 18C! Sat in the conservatory with my breakfast and had a read... hard to put down when you've got a good book!
Got some washing in, did some dusting and tidying up...
Decided it was going to be a sewing day as my work room is nice and cool....
OH retreated indoors too after putting moss kill on the lawn yesterday and hosing it today... it's already turning black going to look horrible for a while as we do have a lot of moss... scarifier next..
Got on well with the scrubs... brought back four unfinished tops from someone else yesterday and cut some trousers out from lovely duvet cover that match beautifully...
Lunch usual sandwich
More sewing.... finished two tops and two pairs of trousers ... by this time it was nearly six o'clock...
BBQ'd lamb chops with roasted vegs and pitta bread for dinner sat outside lovely balmy evening so still birds tweeting and clear blue sky.
The pink thornless climbing rose has a heavenly smell and looks a real treat with so many blooms... the red peonies are out and we have some old fashioned pink poppies ( still in same place where they were when we moved here 33 years ago!) pink wegelia also out and purple lilacs almost at an end now. I love this time of the year, every day you look and something else is peeping through...
Garden got a good watering with the hose, especially the vegs... got three strawberry plants with lots flowers so hoping to get lots of fruit! The blueberry bush had lots of flowers too but quite a lot have dropped off and hadn't seen any bees pollinating it...
Broad beans now in flower and early pots earthed up... can't wait till we can eat all our own produce.
Came inside and watched the repair shop and sewing bee... now to bed for a read..

Hope everyone else has had a good day too..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 May 20 00:03 BST (UK) »
Reorganised my worktops a bit better , “working line “ etc. Looks  tidier.
Washed all tiles and bleached the white worktops .
Washing dry in next to no time.
Measured material for bedspread, will do it again, you know,measure twice cut once.
I think I have missed out on the mixed salad leaves, you can buy trays with lettuce,rocket,radicchio etc,cut and come again,to grow on yourself.
Can’t get to Garden Centre,and not delivering .
Wanted some tomatoes too.
Bury residents in a tribute to  Victoria  Wood have filmed themselves singing
“ Let’s do it”, the snips on the news are hilarious.
Gave my houseplants a little holiday today,out in the sunshine.
Well not much else today,another package arrived fit my birthday ,a bit early
but post taking its time these days.
Goodnight .Viktoria

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 May 20 08:25 BST (UK) »
We decided to do our weekly shop early today. There was no queue at 9:15 but it was somewhat crowded and we shall revert to teatime in future. The sun was blazing in an azure sky and we had the entire visit done and dusted before 10:15 so I went onto the balcony, and was surprised to see a thick mist rolling across the bay, where it stayed all day, though no wind so I was able to stay out.

Sandwich lunch. Needed to use my car which hasn't been out of the garage for a month, so drove over to a small garden centre to buy a jasmine.  That was not a clever idea. The whole world was at that little place, and we were about 6 weeks too late for jasmine. All staff wearing visors, and clearly very stressed.

More sitting on the balcony with a book, in strong sunshine, but the beach was still shrouded from view by the mist, which finally cleared around tea time. 

Walked over to the lakes and found it far quieter than on a normal lunch time, but there wasn't much wildlife to see. It looks like the Travellers have set up camp at the cycle track, which is probably preferable to them camping on the green by the pier.

Enjoyed Repair Shop and Sewing Bee on TV.

Before it was dark we could hear a helicopter and investigation showed it hovering around the Brixham Breakwater.  Blue flashing lights on the quay.  Eventually the vehicles dispersed, but the helicopter was sweeping the bay until it was very dark indeed.
No report on the local news as yet.

BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 21 May 20 18:24 BST (UK) »
Mowsehouse, I have a friend who lives at Brixham, She gets so fed up of cyclists on the causeway where they're not supposed to be, perhaps she finally pushed one of them off.  ;D
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 May 20 18:31 BST (UK) »
We found a news article. It was a man in his 60s who fell, and was swept out. He was hugely lucky to get picked up l think as it was pitch dark out there.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 May 20 20:14 BST (UK) »
You wonder what he was doing out there putting so many people at risk. Sounds like he was a very lucky man!

I wonder what makes people think they're invincible and no risk to others with some of the behaviour that's been going on!

Mixed messages from the government dont help by saying you can drive anywhere and popular are saying stay away!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 May 20 21:31 BST (UK) »
Number one son cane this afternoon with some shopping he had got for me,well my daughter in law really and she came too.
Some lovely flowers for my Birthday and what else did I want when we could shop freely..?
A person I know , but whilst I am  civil and friendly I would not call her a friend as I don’t like her.
Very bad manners and her gentle husband with dementia is subject to her
nastyness.
They passed today and we were obviously chatting - my son,daughter in law
and I,me in the garden they on the side lane,she stopped and talked and talked and talked.
My son said ever so many times” Mum, put the fresh food in the fridge”
I excused myself but she carried on and on making it difficult for me to go in .
Well I won’t see them again until after my Birthday, I don’t expect ,but they needed to go.
My son had a three way conference booked with Sweden and US.
.In the end  I was  quite rude, and got assertive and said, “ look,I have had to share my son’s visit with you ,I won’t see him for another week,and there is a chicken in this bag that must go in the fridge( the sun was blazing)so cheerio I am going in.”
And I did! So there!
Well further to the dreadful screaming yesterday, a young woman who lives just about where it was coming from,passed along the lane today and stopped to talk to a neighbour over the fence.
You can hear everything as people raise  their voices because of the
distance.
I was in my garden and could not help hearing her, she drew attention to her eye,that seemingly was black and blue and very bloodshot.
She told my neighbour it was the same kind of accident she’d had last year when her eye was damaged!
She is living apart from her partner ,there is a little boy and I did think,perhaps I ought to have called the Police .
My neighbour and I have not alluded to yesterday nor the injury.
It is entirely possible the noise was not connected to her or involved her ,but it is a big coincidence.
She is an intelligent young woman and will I feel do the sensible thing .
I really hope so.
Had to take the bathroom glass shelf to bits today whilst giving the bathroom a good clean.
The screws that hold the grips together which keep the shelf level needed tightening ,my electric toothbrush kept falling off!
Job done!
Grand daughter sent a special postcard ,with photographs of us both together,her 21st Birthday  , cake etc , my 80th etc but two are horrible, I hate them, caught unawares I look like a, well I know not what!
One is on a Boxing Day when we went to see the meet at a local pub, supposedly drag hunting but we left as we were really not sure .
The hounds were inordinately interested in the boot of a large three wheeled motor bike, might have been aniseed but the cut of the men on the bike , well , - so we left.
But the photograph my grand daughter took of me shows my anger and contempt .
Never mind !
Just seen the footage of Trump when he walked in front of The Queen and actually blocked her way.
What a moron!Bad manners anyway but to a person who is our Head of State !
The Sewing Bee - once again I think the best garments are not winning.
What is criticised on one garment is allowed to pass on another ,no consistency.So what is the point!
Well off to put the kitchen to bed and Morse is on so late tonight ,but I will watch him.
Nothing to get up for early tomorrow.Oh - Yes,the Milk in the step in the sunshine!
Cheerio folks , Viktoria.

f

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 May 20 22:02 BST (UK) »
We found a news article. It was a man in his 60s who fell, and was swept out. He was hugely lucky to get picked up l think as it was pitch dark out there.

Oh dear, and there I was making jokes about it. Appeals have been made here for people to stay off the sea as the lifeboat crew would have to take extra risks because of Covid. Some people just don't listen though, the same as in normal times.

Viktoria, I'm guessing this was Thursday's diary as you referred to President Trump walking in front of the queen, I've just seen that too. No matter, it's good to read your diary but sorry you seem to have had a frustrating day. I'm sure your granddaughter had the best of intentions with the photos. I hope the young woman who is your neighbour is okay, if you think you should have called the police then perhaps if it happens again you should do. The police will not criticise you if you're mistaken in thinking she is being attacked.

As for the Sewing Bee, I've just watched it and am amazed that the presenter and some of the male sewers got away with making so many innuendos.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham