Author Topic: Hard Copy Document Organisation  (Read 972 times)

Offline Littletoot

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hard Copy Document Organisation
« on: Thursday 21 May 20 04:54 BST (UK) »
I feel slightly embarrassed asking this question but is one I'm sure we have all thought about. I'm having a clean up !!! Going back through files and tidying, scanning documents and inserting information into FTM, backing up all the scanned documents into an external hardrive.  Well possibly will need wave 2 and more of COVID to get through it !!!  I'm filing the hard copies of documents related to each individual in plastic sleeves in folders using family name e.g. Allen.  Would you suggest keeping the offspring of each individual next to their parents or keep all siblings under their parents and the offspring after all the previous generation.  I think I'm trying to be so precise I can't see the wood for the trees.  Presently the piles in boxes is sort of working but takes time to find the document I want - Oh and by the way I've even managed to purchase the odd certificate twice - so hence I'm trying to have a clean up .  Any advice or suggestions would be very welsome.
Stonnill, Allen, Manley, Mooney, Small, Cornish

Offline macwil

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Hard Copy Document Organisation
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 May 20 08:53 BST (UK) »
No need to be embarrassed, we all have this problem in one form or another and the question has been asked before. This thread may help https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=124293.0

The trick is to find a method that works for you and to stick to it AND to document it so that you and others in the future can follow the logic behind the organisation. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to understand why something was done in a particular way when one has no idea of the logic employed.
Active links are now (after 13/04/2018) indicated by bold red italics. Just click on them.
The only stupid question is the one not asked

WILSON; Lancs, Lanrks.
BERRY; Lancs.
BORASTON; Salop, Worcs,
TYLER; Salop, Herefords.

Offline McGroger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Convicts, Commoners and Outlaws
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 May 20 11:22 BST (UK) »
It might also be useful to look at this comprehensive article. It is mainly about organising your digital files, the author having the stated aim of reducing physical files to the smallest number possible.
https://blog.eogn.com/2020/05/08/my-method-of-filing-digital-images-and-documents/#more-36640

Peter
Convicts: COSIER (1791); LEADBEATER (1791); SINGLETON (& PARKINSON) (1792); STROUD (1793); BARNES (aka SYDNEY) (1800); DAVIS (1804); CLARK (1806); TYLER (1810); COWEN (1818); ADAMS[ON] (1821); SMITH (1827); WHYBURN (1827); HARBORNE (1828).
Commoners: DOUGAN (1844); FORD (1849); JOHNSTON (1850); BEATTIE (& LONG) (1856); BRICKLEY (1883).
Outlaws: MCGREGOR (1883) & ass. clans, Glasgow, Glenquaich, Glenalmond and Glengyle.

Offline Littletoot

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 21 May 20 12:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the replys, I will go through those earlier links, there is a lot of suggestions.
Dick Eastman's page is also good I see his blog come across frequently but haven't seen that,
Thanks all. 
Stonnill, Allen, Manley, Mooney, Small, Cornish