Author Topic: 5th great grandfather army records help please  (Read 269 times)

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
5th great grandfather army records help please
« on: Thursday 21 May 20 09:46 BST (UK) »
I have found 3 records on Anc which I believe belong to my 5th gt grandfather and am hoping somebody can help me understand a bit more about his military career
The first and second ones come under the category of Canada, British Regimental Registers of Service 1756-1900
The first one details are William Sangster age 19 born 1794 Inverikellan ( mix transcription of Inverkeilor) Forfar Attestation date 22 May 1813 for 7 years 1st Foot Soldiers 3rd Battalion

The second one is for William Sangster 1st Foot 1st Battalion 1813-1815

The 3rd is the record of Waterloo medal for William Sangster Rank Private Regiment 3rd Battalion Royal Scots Sub Unit Captain Geo. Marlay (Major's) Company No.6.
Through a family story we were told he did serve at Waterloo so I believe this is him

Thanks

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 5th great grandfather army records help please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 21 May 20 09:55 BST (UK) »
You will find this history of interest:

https://archive.org/details/historicalreco00cann/page/n4/mode/2up/search/waterloo

It includes Waterloo and there is a note about the 3rd Battalion's silver medal (and the addition of two years extra service to count to pension).

If you are content that this is your man then his history is covered here.  Note that 3rd Battalion men were transferred to 1st Battalion after waterloo so the battalion numbers add up.

MaxD

PS  I should add that the Ancestry eccentric cataloguing includes the word Canada because some of the regiments covered served some of the time in Canada not that they were all there all the time!
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 5th great grandfather army records help please
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 21 May 20 10:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Max year and place of birth in the 1st record match him so fairly confident it is but not so sure about the rest but have downloaded the link you have given and will give it a read thanks again