Author Topic: Charles Brice McGregor :  (Read 1258 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Brice McGregor :
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 May 20 19:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry, but there’s absolutely no sense having a surgeon (especially a foreigner) in Brice’s descendants.   If Brice’s son was actually Frederick, then records have him as potato merchant. (and born in Windsor)
I offer no opinions - all I did was look at the original census document found in indexes by Comberton to see whether it was FindMyPast or Ancestry that had got it wrong.

How you interpret the information is entirely up to you. It doesn't matter to me whether Frederick was a tattie merchant or a surgeon. :)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Iain...

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 May 20 13:00 BST (UK) »
Forfarian Good morning.

Firstly, I would like to apologize for misreading your post.  I read country instead of “county”!   Hence my ‘foreigner’ remark.  Also, I mentioned potatoes instead of tobacco. 

In the meantime, A friend has emailed me with the following. 

“He appears in staff lists for The Lord Chamberlain's department for 1841, 1842 and 1846.
He died at the age of 64 at Suttley House, Whitehall, London in 1846.
Admin was granted to Frederick James McGregor.
This must be Brice's son as I can find a baptism for a Brice William McGregor on the 22nd of February 1846 - parents Frederick James McGregor, tobacconist, and Harriet Frances ‘McGregor.’   
Looking at the 1851 census, Frederick was 30 and born in Windsor, so Brice could have been working at the Castle at the time.

I found another two children for Brice and Elizabeth, both baptised in London:
- Jane Elizabeth, baptised on the 20th of August 1814, father, Brice is recorded as a “serjt” in the “Guards”* and living at Tothill Street, Westminster.
- Elizabeth, baptised on the 19th of June 1827.   

Brice is a victualler and living in Whitehall.”

In the meantime, it would be interesting to find where he was born in Argyllshire, to allow the town to add him to their list of heroes. 
Thanks everyone for your help.
McArthur - Campbeltown and Tiree Scotland
Black - Campbeltown Scotland - Rathlin Ireland
MacFarlane - Tiree
Wood / Boorman / Gimber / Lee... KENT
Dennett / Mase / Varrier /  Over... KENT

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 23 May 20 13:39 BST (UK) »
Firstly, I would like to apologize for misreading your post.  I read country instead of “county”!   Hence my ‘foreigner’ remark.  Also, I mentioned potatoes instead of tobacco.
Ah! I did wonder what you meant :)

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.