Author Topic: Place Names in Almondbury Parish  (Read 1593 times)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Place Names in Almondbury Parish
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 May 20 12:49 BST (UK) »
I noticed that Kidroid is also transcribed as Kid Royd on Elizabeth Norths bapt in 1763 and wondered if it might have been near Daisy Royd, Bum Royd or Jack Royd as shown on this map https://maps.nls.uk/view/125647344#zoom=5&lat=4785&lon=12635&layers=BT

Sorry - missed the last post

Offline foundblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 May 20 13:31 BST (UK) »
Josey - that's it many thanks!    I should have thought when I typed Kidroid into google maps and got nothing when I started this research.  But you've got me on the right path.   So I am more confident that the children of William North of that period fall neatly into two separate families the Kidroid, Moldgreen family and the Owler Barrows (likely near Meltham) family.   However as they both had daughters baptised Martha I still have to figure out which Martha married John Cockin and who the two Williams married.

Thanks again Josey just what I needed.

Nick

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 May 20 19:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, I live quite close to Kidroyd, now just a few houses off the junction of Somerset Road and Longley Road. I believe that it was originally all the way across to Ravensknowle Road and was a main road from Dalton up to Almondbury.
I happen to have Norths on both my parents sides and I believe that they go back to about 1584 on Forest Road/Bank End Lane which is only a short distance from Kidroyd.

Stu
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.

Offline J.R.Ellam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 23 May 20 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

Could Owler Barrows be a corruption of Hall Bower which is just below Castle Hill.

John
Ellam, Mills, Ellins
Firth, Wood, Muffitt
Hill, Mattinson, Nicholson
Morrey, Hudson, Limb

Offline foundblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 23 May 20 18:07 BST (UK) »
John - thanks for that I will definitely look into that one as I'm still not 100% on Owler Burrows.

Stu - one of the people in question was "of Dalton" so perhaps part of Kibroid was near enough to classed as of Dalton way back in 1750.   Looks like we might be related if I can ever get beyond Martha North / Cockin.

Thanks everyone

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 23 May 20 22:04 BST (UK) »
Hi
It's definitely 'Owler Barrows' (meaning alder grove). There is a short modern street in Meltham called Owlar (sic) Bars which may or may not indicate the position of Owler Barrows.
There are no baptisms to a William North in Almondbury parish in the period 1739-48, then, like buses, three come along (almost) at once. They are:
1.William NORTH (clothier) married Mary MOWBERRY 27.3.1749
2.William NORTH (labourer) married Deborah BEAUMONT 2.5. 1751
3.William NORTH (clothier) married Elizabeth GIPSON 27.6.1751
No abodes given, all just 'OTP'.
Children baptised with father named as William:
William 11.9.1749 (Clothier, Lockwood) (William no. 1 must be the father)
Hannah and Martha, twins 22.4.1752 (Clothier, Owler Barrows)
Hannah 13.6.1753 (Clothier, Norwich, wife named as Mary)
Mary 23.12.1753  (Clothier, Owler Barrows)
Martha 7.3.1755 (Clothier, Kid Royd)
Sarah 6.2.1756 (Clothier, Owler Barrows)
Joseph 6.3.1757 (Clothier, Kid Royd)
John 24.6.1759 (Clothier, Kid Royd)
Bathsheba 11.12.1760 (Clothier, Owler Barrows)
Mary 8.7.1761 (Clothier, Kid Royd)
Elizabeth 30.7.1763 (Clothier, Kid Royd)
John 29.7.1764 (Clothier, Meltham)
Fanny 15.11. 1772 (Clothier, Lockwood)
Regards,
Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline foundblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 24 May 20 12:12 BST (UK) »
Lesley - thank you for replying you've found one more birth and the dates for Mary definitely mean they are two families.   Can I ask - did you use the transcriptions from Hudds FHA or just search on Ancestry?

The marriage to Deborah Beaumont states labourer but a burial of a Deborah North years later states wife of William, Clothier so I can't reply on the labourer bit to separate them.

There is also the marriage of William North of Dalton to Sarah Blackburn in 1740 and there are some 174 members trees on Ancestry that attribute various combinations of the baptisms you list to William and Sarah but I can't seperate conjecture from proof!

Please let me know if you've used the HFS disc/booklet so I can keep my reaearch notes up to date.
Cheers Nick

Offline Sunlaws

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 24 May 20 13:58 BST (UK) »
I have never had an Ancestry subscription. I did most of my Almondbury research over 30 years ago- the hard way, going cross-eyed scrolling through miles of fuzzy microfilm, so was very pleased when HDFHS started issuing transcription booklets, which is what I use.

I suspect William North, 'labourer' became 'clothier' once he was married and had his own house and a bit of land.

Yes, there are over 20 baptisms in Kirkheaton parish 1706-51 naming William NORTH of Dalton as the father, including a Martha in 1750. Which parish did your Martha marry in?

Lesley
Bradley, Gledhill, Dodson, Norcliffe, Kaye, Matthewman- all Berry Brow/Almondbury
Webster- Northowram
Brick wall: Maria Blaymires  c 1800 Northowram

Offline foundblue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 24 May 20 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Lesley

I thought you had used the discs because of the dates you quoted it's great to be able to confirm with different transcriptions.  I have just gone through Ancestry and have 25 Kirkheaton baptisms to a William North so in total some 40 baptisms to 6 marriages of a William over the period.

A Martha North married John Cockin by banns (so no licence to look for) Huddersfield St Peters 21 Sep 1778 both of this parish JC signing his name and Martha her mark.  I will now try to find all the Martha marriages to others just in case there are clues.   There are a number of wills of North's especially William North but of course I can't get to Borthwick to read any of them at the moment.

Martha North and John Cockin are my 5x great grandparents.  I believe John Cockin is the son of a John Cockin and was baptised (of Honley) in Almondbury in 1752.  My mind is getting confused now and I can't even remember why I think William is Martha's father.    I think the only possible Martha's all had William fathers - need to start again!

Nick