Author Topic: Dunbar Parish Church Cemetery  (Read 1662 times)

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dunbar Parish Church Cemetery
« on: Friday 22 May 20 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hello!

Does anyone know if there is a site I can view gravestone records for Dunbar Parish Church? I have tried Findagrave.com but no joy!
Morralley, Morrallee, Moralee, Felton, Paxton, Schonbeck

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Dunbar Parish Church Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 May 20 22:02 BST (UK) »
Findagrave does have a partial listing for it www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2450542/dunbar-parish-church-cemetery

The other two Dunbar cemeteries they have show here www.findagrave.com/cemetery-browse/Scotland/East-Lothian/Dunbar?id=city_578029

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline littlefacey

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 May 20 22:06 BST (UK) »
Findagrave does have a partial listing for it www.findagrave.com/cemetery/2450542/dunbar-parish-church-cemetery

The other two Dunbar cemeteries they have show here www.findagrave.com/cemetery-browse/Scotland/East-Lothian/Dunbar?id=city_578029

Monica

Hi Monica!

I did look on Find a Grave but they don't have the grave i am looking for listed so i was wondering if there are any other sites? or if there is a site of Scottish burials?

(have also tried gravestonephotos.com & billion graves)
Morralley, Morrallee, Moralee, Felton, Paxton, Schonbeck

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 May 20 22:15 BST (UK) »
Not sure if the other two sites have carried out complete surveys? If they have, and there is no record, there likely is no remaining gravestone. Either because it has fallen down over the years or because there wasn't one in the first place.

Have you tried searching the death & burial registers on Scotlands People to see if anything shows?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 May 20 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There are burial and mortcloth records and memorial inscriptions records for Dunbar from a few years ago.

If you can post some names, I can take a look and see if they’re included.

hume

Offline Gavin Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 February 21 21:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I live in Dunbar, and recently I've been visiting the Dunbar Parish Graveyard, taking random pictures of headstones and posting them with a little research on the Find-a-Grave website. So you might find lots of extra's since you last looked. I'd also be happy to visit and try locate if you wish to share names with dates.

There are no on line records that I am aware of or have found. However Dunbar History Society located in the Town House do have a quite comprehensive list/folder for reference. But only accessible in person within the town house. I have requested a copy but no reply due to the pandemic.

Also the John Gray Centre in Haddington have folders on almost every graveyard/cemetery in East Lothian. 2 elderly ladies visits these places to make recordings of all legible headstones over a good period of time. Also a couple of the parishes did likewise and records of all can be found at the John Gray Centre above the Library (top floor) but again you have to visit.
Wilson's of Fife & the Lothians
Bruce's of Aberdeenshire
Fell's of Lanarkshire
Dewar's of Dundee & Glasgow
Kay's of Glasgow & Leith & East Lothian
Dickson/Blair/Golightly of East Lothian