Author Topic: Wildmans of Leicester?  (Read 518 times)

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
Wildmans of Leicester?
« on: Friday 22 May 20 18:27 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for more info on the Wildmans who where in Leicester baptising.

I have a Martha Wildman who marries Isaac Lane Tisdale/Teasdale 11 Jan 1789 St Margarets, Leicester by Banns.
They are both listed of the parish of St Margarets.
Isaac dies in 1827 St Margarets, Leicester with a birth date of 1765, his baptism was in 1769 St Margarets, Illegitimate son of Deborah Lane and William Tisdale/Teasdale.

Martha dies 1840 St Margarets, Leicester With a birth date of 1753 (Not sure how accurate this is as depends on who gave that information)

There are 2 baptisms outside of Leicester at Newtown Linford for a Martha Wildman.
Martha Wildman baptised 1761, daughter of John and Elizabeth.
Martha Wildman baptised 1765, daughter of Frank/Francis and Hannah.

Whilst she could be one of these, I'm not sure as there appears to be Wildmans in Leicester City.

A William Wildman who was baptised Presbyterian 1749 Leicester. All that's listed on his baptism is 'William the son of one Wildman who married Molley Davenp (Page tear but I assume this is 'Davenport')
I assume this is the Thomas Wildman, FWK, of Great Peatling who married Mary Davenport at All Saints, Leicester by license 1748.

There is also a burial for a Hannah Wildman, Pauper, St Margarets, 1789. Could be the wife of Frank/Francis?
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wildmans of Leicester?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 May 20 00:32 BST (UK) »
One of my CDs has an index for a 1788 bastardy order involving the following:
Martha Wildman, Single Woman of Newton Linford - Mother
Joseph Smith of Newtown Linford - Father
Thomas Carr, Leicester - Bondsman

Another CD has a reference in 1789 that a male was delivered, so he’s probably the George Willman (sic) baptised Newtown Linford 30 Nov 1788, son of Martha.

George appears in All Saints, Leicester in 1841 with wife Elizabeth & son John, and in 1851 & 1861 he is in St Margaret’s.  George died in the workhouse in 1862 and is registered as Whileman.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 May 20 00:43 BST (UK) »
My CD also has the following index but it's unclear as to whether the removal went ahead or which way round it was.

1784 - Removal Order involving St Leonard's, Leicester & St Nicholas, Nottingham
Francis Wildman
Hannah Wildman
Martha Wildman 17
Mary Wildman 15
John Wildman 11
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Taylor94

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My grt grt grandfather, after capture WW1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 May 20 09:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this.

I've just seen that a Frances Whileman, Pauper, was buried in St Margarets, Leicester 1788. I wonder if this is Francis/Frank? And then the burial for wife Hannah in St Margarets 1789.

Also I don't think we can differentiate between Martha born 1761 Newtown Linford to John Wildman/Wileman and Elizabeth Keightley or the Martha Wildman/Wileman born 1765 Newtown Linford to Francis/Frank Wileman/Wildman and Hannah Godwin/Goodwin.

Martha and Isaac do have a child called Hannah so that could be a hint and the fact that a *Frances* and Hannah Wildman/Whileman were buried in St Margarets as Paupers.
Isaac and Martha married and are living in St Margarets.

But then again the age given on Martha's burial is closer to the 1761 than the 1765 baptism.

The paternal Wildman/Wileman line seems to show that both Frank/Francis and John could both be sons baptised at Mountsorrel, 1735 and 1733 respectively, to a brick wall John and Martha Wildman/Wileman.

When Francis marries Hannah Godwin/Goodwin in Newtown Linford, 1764 by banns, he is listed as 'A sojourner in this parish', so he was only in Newtown Linford temporarily.
When John marries Elizabeth Keightley in Newtown Linford, 1756 by banns, he is listed as a 'Servant' and can write his name, whereas Francis just left his mark 'X'.
Richard Dudley of Cosby. Gent
George Bent of Cosby. Gent
William Black of Kilby. Gent
Bernard Cotton of Dadlington. Esq
Sir Thomas Halford of Wistow. Bart
Richard Swynfen of Sutton Cheney. Gent
John Cotes of Aylestone. Gent
John Freeston of East Norton. Gent
Sir John Bernard of Abington.
Edward Shuckburgh of Naseby. Esq
Richard Worsley of Deeping. Esq
Thomas Hobson of Glen. Gent
John Grant of Stretton Parva. Gent
John Miles of Heanley Hall. Gent
Thomas Dabridgecourt. Esq
Sir Clement Edmondes

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 May 20 12:44 BST (UK) »
It looks like one of the Martha’s remained in Newtown Linford, as there are two more baptisms:
4 Nov 1792 – James s/o Martha Wildman, Spinster P (buried 6 Nov 1792)
19 Jul 1795 – John s/o Marth Willman

My CD also records that Martha obtained a Filiation Order against John Smith for George’s birth (other indexes said the father was Joseph Smith, so the correct name is unclear). 

There are also the following Apprenticeship Indentures:
1798 - George Wildman, Newtown Linford & Thomas Fisher, Sileby
1806 – John Wildman, Newtown Linford & William Johnson, Mountsorrel

There is a possible marriage in 1811 in Newtown Linford  - Martha Wileman to Richard Reynolds of Groby in the parish of Ratby.