Author Topic: Levi Chambers marriage  (Read 230 times)

Offline greasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Levi Chambers marriage
« on: Friday 22 May 20 18:46 BST (UK) »
I have been trying to find a marriage for my 4x great grandparents Levi Chambers and Harriet Bales.  Levi Chambers was born in 1837 and baptized in Weston longville before Civil Registration began.  He was an agricultural laborer, and his father was Robert Chambers, an agricultural laborer born in 1805 in Weston Longville and his wife Mildred Hardingham.  Harriet Bales was born around 1839 in East Tuddenham, daughter of Isaac Bales another agricultural laborer and his wife Ann.  I have the birth certificate for their first child my 3x great grandmother Harriet Ann Chambers born on the 10th March 1860 in Hornsea Yorkshire.  The family was living in Yorkshire on the 1861 census.  Their second child John Chambers was born in 1862 in Norfolk in the Mitford district, before the rest of their children were born in the North Riding of Yorkshire in Eston.  However, I have searched the marriage indexes from 1855-1865 and cannot find a marriage between Levi Chambers and Harriet Bales, in England and Wales.  There was over 400 entries and I looked at them all.  Either their marriage was registered under different names, there was an error by the vicar/registrar in the spelling of their forenames or surnames, or they never married?  Any help solving this would be appreciated.   

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Levi Chambers marriage
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 May 20 17:48 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat.

It is an elusive marriage.

John Chambers is recorded as being born 23-1-1862 and was christened 23-2-1862 in Lyng/Ling in Norfolk.

There was a Thomas Chambers (a Carpenter) christening his chlldren in Lyng/Ling from 1853 to 1861.

There are extensive pictures of Norfolk registers available through Family Search
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 May 20 21:43 BST (UK) »
As you have searched pretty thoroughly I would suggest the last option they never married. 
Hinchliffe Huddersfield Wiltshire

Offline greasey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 May 20 17:13 BST (UK) »
Its seems likely that they never married.  Though there are several marriages for a Harriet Bales before 1860.  Is it possible that she could have been married before, then married Levi Chambers under another surname, if she had been widowed?  I can find no children with the maiden name Bales before 1860? :)Greasey