Author Topic: Nichols of Gumley  (Read 416 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Nichols of Gumley
« on: Saturday 23 May 20 10:36 BST (UK) »
As you can probably tell by my various requests :)

I am attempting to sort a little further up/down the line of my previous searches.

This present search is regarding the Nichols side of the family from around Gumley area.
I have quite a bit already... so not too much indepth searching is req'd

MOSTLY I need help comprehending the Will of Silvester Nichols who died c 1754/7 in Gumley.

I have read it and it was great that it verified his first wife.. Ann Abbot.. but then it waffles on and on until my head is gone regarding who he is leaving what to and who isnt born yet...etc.. SADLY it didnt confirm a son THOMAS anywhere.. so I may be chasing the wrong Silvester.. turns out more than one around the area.

so I have this one married to an Ann Abbot and a Mary Bingley ???? but no docs for Mary found as yet.

Have the Ann Abbot.. doc.

I also have Silvester born abt.  1695 in Gumley Leics.  son of Thomas and Hannah ? (hopefully correct)
I also have that he had a son born:  1723   in Gumley named Thomas --- presumably his mother is Ann Abbot.   although havent found her death as yet.

This Thomas is not mentioned by name that I can see in the will...

!!!! 
Thomas 1723 is eventually married to Elizabeth Wakelin and they produce a Silvester Nichols -- so I am hoping this is all getting to a correct conclusion ... maybe.. who knows !!!!!!!!!!!!  ha ha... its all occupational therapy and a change from knitting and gardening.. more exciting in some ways and less in others.. :) :)

So any help with the legibility of the will would be good.. comprehension of it excellent.. I can add a snippet here  -- or it is on FindMyPast  under Silvesters Death 1754 gumley...

thanks ---- sorry if this is too confusing.. its my head :(
As an afterthought if anyone wants to read the full will and hasnt FindMyPast then message me ... as the snips on here are so confusing and I am not sure I can post the Whole will due to copyright etc.. so  let me know pm

xin

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Nichols of Gumley
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 May 20 10:38 BST (UK) »
part snip of page 2

ee by gum ... hopefully posted correct bits...

xin

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 May 20 12:54 BST (UK) »
Afternoon, Xinley  ;)

As always, there's lots of legalese and wordiness in the snips.

In the first snip, the executors are (I think) William Thorby (I'm not sure about that surname) of Gumley, gentleman, and John Holmes (? – again, I'm not sure of the surname) of Bagworth, yeoman.They are to flog the assets and distribute the money “unto and amongst all and every the child or children which I present have or hereafter may have by my (??) wife Mary to be ---"

Second snip:  “equally divided between such of them as shall be living” – he goes on to write what he wants to happen in various circumstances – if any of the children die with or without children of their own before his “current wife” dies.

None of the children is named and whilst I read this as showing that he does have at least one child, I’m not clear if there is just one or more living at the time of the will. The first snip suggests that he may expect to have more children before his death, and the second that any children are all young/childless themselves so was he relatively young? Or was there a notable age difference between him and Mary?
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 May 20 13:05 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

I knew it was a strange one...

I have that he was born in 1695 in Gumley ?  if I have the correct Silvester :)    (think so)

as yet NO dates for Mary  --- as have looked and not achieved success on that one. so needs more searching, will do that whilst this rain works on the garden for me.  :) 

I have read a fair few wills and this one --- he I reckon was on something... attempting to take in alllllll possibilities and more babies after his decease .. clever man.
thanks for your help as always great :)
'xinley  :) :) ' x