Author Topic: Ann Johnson  (Read 724 times)

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Ann Johnson
« on: Sunday 24 May 20 06:08 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out the correct parents for Ann Johnson.

I do know that she married Edward Chesters 7 Oct 1817, according to the Cheshire Parish Register Database. Both signed with a mark, as did the two witnesses, Charles Evanson and Margaret Johnson. They married at St. James, at Audlem, Cheshire.

I have a Cheshire Bishops transcript which has Ann born 11 Aug 1799, and a Parish Register showing a baptism on 15 Sep 1799, at Weaverham. Her parents are shown as John Johnson, and Mary

When I go onto Ancestry, I find she is born 3 Aug 1796 and baptised 25 Sep 1796 at Wrenbury, with parents Thomas and Mary Johnson of Newhall.

In both cases the mother is Mary, and there is a three year difference in the date which is causing me problems.

Which set of parents is correct? I realise that the surname of Johnson is reasonable common, but hopefully someone can point out the correct parents.

Any comments, positive or negative, will be accepted, as they will assist me in trying to sort things out.

A Chesters

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Johnson
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 May 20 06:57 BST (UK) »
Looking at the census - if I have the right family - Ann lists her birthplace as Audlem and Wrenbury in the 1851/61 censuses which makes a baptism at Wrenbury more likely

The 1796 baptism at Wrenbury is also shown on the Bishops Transcripts and a Margarett Johnson (poss sister from marriage witness) is listed with a baptism on 21 Jul 1793 with parents Thomas and Mary at Wrenbury.   However if you try to look at the images on FindMyPast I must admit I got totally different baptism years images or even a marriage  ???

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 May 20 06:58 BST (UK) »
It may be entirely coincidental but a Charles Evanson , aged 49, of Newhall Workhouse, was buried in Wrenbury on  18 October 1817.

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 May 20 07:14 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for that information.

Kay99, I had seen Margaret and thought she might be a sister, but at the time I first obtained the information, I did not have Ancestry access, and so was not aware of the Thomas and Mary aspect.

Edit: I do not have Findmypast access, with the library closed, so when they are reopened, I will have a look.

Brentor Boy, that is interesting, and will need further research at a later date.

AC

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 24 May 20 07:23 BST (UK) »
Looking at the census - if I have the right family - Ann lists her birthplace as Audlem and Wrenbury in the 1851/61 censuses which makes a baptism at Wrenbury more likely

The 1796 baptism at Wrenbury is also shown on the Bishops Transcripts and a Margarett Johnson (poss sister from marriage witness) is listed with a baptism on 21 Jul 1793 with parents Thomas and Mary at Wrenbury.   However if you try to look at the images on FindMyPast I must admit I got totally different baptism years images or even a marriage  ???

I was puzzled when FindMyPast returned a marriage entry!

A Charles Evanson was baptised Wrenbury 5 Mar 1748

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 24 May 20 07:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. I wonder what relationship, if any, he had to the couple.

AC

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 May 20 07:47 BST (UK) »
As you don't have access to Anc - a reasonably well documented tree on Anc does list Ann's parents as Thomas Johnson b 1749 Audlem, Cheshire and Mary Rutter b 1760 Audlem, Cheshire - with Marriage License 11 Feb 1779 Audlem, Cheshire which lists Thomas Johnson Yeoman 29 of Wrenbury & Mary Rutter 18 with Father Ralph Rutter Yeoman of Audlem

Thomas Johnson is listed as buried in 1807 Wrenbury - his address Newhall
Mary Johnson was living with Edward and Ann Chesters in 1851 as below at Dodcott cum Wilkesley

Mary Johnson 92  Mother in Law b Audlem
        Ann Chesters  54
        Edward Chesters 56
       Mary Chesters 32
       Thomas Chesters 1
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG2F-8HF

Offline a chesters

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 May 20 07:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that Kay99.

That means more work and head scratching :'( :'(

AC

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 May 20 07:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that. I wonder what relationship, if any, he had to the couple.

AC

Possible parents.
Charles Evason/Ann Fisher  14 October 1764. Wrenbury