Author Topic: Ure Beatrice Ward, left Australia 1922 for London  (Read 2336 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ure Beatrice Ward, left Australia 1922 for London
« Reply #27 on: Monday 25 May 20 11:34 BST (UK) »
The plot thickens.
I will have to contact my Australian cousin to confirm.

However, what is known about Alfred Ward in England -

No birth registration found
From RNAF and RAF records he was born 29 Dec 1888 in Highbury, London
Service number 203593 or F3593, confirmed from medals in possession of my cousin.
He gave his next of kin when he joined up in 1915 as his sister, Nelly Varney. This places him as son of Charles Ward and 'Maryon'.

(This makes me think that Alfred Ward may have been separated from Ure Beatrice already)

If you look at the records, he was taken prisoner of war in Turkey in 1918, which fits in with Trove records for Edward Steven Ward.

I am going out shortly, will come back to this later, will speak to my contact to see whether this is his father and grandfather in the newspaper report.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 25 May 20 11:44 BST (UK) »
If this is the correct birth registration
March 1920 Marylebone 1a 1228
Ward,  Stephen C.
mother Holden   

Why not give out the full details from the cert, presuming you have it.

I have no details regarding this birth certificate.

Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 25 May 20 11:47 BST (UK) »

Thank you all for your replies and research.

I too had my doubts whether Ure Beatrice actually made the crossing, but a Beatrice Ward left London and a Ura Ward arrived in Melbourne, so I think that she did. Unless Alfred took another women with him under a forged passport. She may not have gone to Australia, but I have been told that she did.

1921 UK census should prove interesting in a couple of years. Where were Alfred Ward, Ernest Hubbard, Edward Ward, Ernest Henry Hubbard and Stephen Claude Ward? A ménage a trois, perhaps?

I will have to wait further news from my contact, I agree with you all about the uncertainty.

Regards Margaret

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 25 May 20 12:44 BST (UK) »
Photo of the man with a duck in 1941 here
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/231632067?

See The Port Macquarie News and Hastings River Advocate, 23 Nov 1940, for the thoughts of Mr. Ward on the middle east.

For anyone looking on ancestry, they have transcribed the Wards as Baril on their departure for Oz in 1922. Beatrice (or the alleged Beatrice) is Mrs Ban Bessie Baril :)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 25 May 20 17:05 BST (UK) »
Can you please give some details to the story you are working with. It is starting to sound rather .......untidy.

"...(Ure Beatrice HOLDEN) married Alfred Ward in 1909, had 3 children before he went off to war in 1915."

What names for the three children?.
"She married again in 1917 as a widow her first husband arrived back the following year. I have been told that she was informed that he was missing, presumed dead, whereas in fact he was a POW".

Has anyone looked at the WW1 file for Alfred WARD?
I can see the 1917 marriage record on Ancestry.
What certificates do you have for BDM events for the people named in your research?

Edward James Childs Ward MMN Holden, born 21 Jan 1910, Remained in England throughout
Charles Robert Childs Ward MMN Holden, born Mar Q 1912, died Sep Q 1914, aged 2
Ernest Henry Hubbard MMN Holden, born 5 Nov 1918, remained in England
Stephen Claude Ward MMN Holden born Mar Q 1920. Also known as Steven Claude Ward
Ure Joyce Hubbard MMN Holden born 14 Jan 1923

Ernest Henry Hubbard was known as Langley from at least 1939 (Register), possibly earlier, a sister was born 1930 -
Jean Elizabeth Langley MMN Holden born 27 Nov 1930

He later changed his name to Langley by deed poll, I have been told. Ure Joyce reversed her first names, became Joyce Ure Langley, whether by deed poll or not I cannot confirm.

I have no certificates whatsoever, and will not be sending for any.

I have recently been sent a photograph of Ure Beatrice Langley nee Holden; Albert Edward, aka Peter, Langley; Edward Ward; Ernest Henry Hubbard aka Langley; Joyce Ure Goodway nee Hubbard; Jean Elizabeth Spetch nee Langley
i.e. The English branch of this family.

WW1 details already given in previous post.

My Australian 3rd cousin will still be in bed, I'll await his reply

Regards Margaret

Online majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 25 May 20 23:22 BST (UK) »
23 March 1918 is the date of birth for Steven Claude WARD as per his WWII file..  father as Edward Ward.

BUT

5 November 1918 is the date of birth for Ernest  Henry HUBBARD mmm HOLDEN ....

The 3 WARD passengers were Scottish  per passenger list outward to Australia arriving  Feb 1922 with 1 year old Stephen ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 25 May 20 23:36 BST (UK) »
The 3 WARD passengers were Scottish  per passenger list outward to Australia arriving  Feb 1922 with 1 year old Stephen ...

Country of Last Permanent Residence was Scotland. But they may not perhaps have been Scottish.

Online majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 25 May 20 23:46 BST (UK) »
Fair comment  ;D ...   how long did you need to have lived in Scotland to be a permanent resident?   ;D 3 or 6 or 12 months, or more ....

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 00:45 BST (UK) »
23 March 1918 is the date of birth for Steven Claude WARD as per his WWII file..  father as Edward Ward.

BUT

5 November 1918 is the date of birth for Ernest  Henry HUBBARD mmm HOLDEN ....

JM

As noted -Registered-
Births Mar 1920  

WARD Stephen C  mmn Holden
Marylebone  1a 1228

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk