Author Topic: Ure Beatrice Ward, left Australia 1922 for London  (Read 6665 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ure Beatrice Ward, left Australia 1922 for London
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 May 20 14:56 BST (UK) »
I'm not quite sure what you mean, Ruskie.

A possibility I suppose is that she had a return ticket, just making sure young Stephen was alright on the crossing, though it seems unlikely.

But wouldn't she still appear on passenger lists, both leaving Melbourne and arriving in London?

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 May 20 15:24 BST (UK) »
I am querying what records would have been kept of arrivals into England of English citizens returning home from Australia.

Were there lists of all passengers departing and arriving? I don't know but someone may do. (I can see that there would be interest in arrivals into Australia, but not sure about departures ....  :-\  )

I know I am missing a couple of arrivals coming the other way (England to Australia) around the same time frame ....

I believe there are some passenger lists on the pay sites but I don't know what coverage is like.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 May 20 16:16 BST (UK) »

I have several family members who visited abroad and returned to UK, who do appear in the records, but not at this time frame, later on.

As far as I know, ships are and were supposed to keep full records. Not to say that they did!!

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 May 20 01:37 BST (UK) »
 :)

From the UK's National Archives website :
https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/passengers/

Incoming passenger lists (1878-1960)
Search and download lists of passengers arriving in the UK from ports outside Europe and the Mediterranean between 1878 and 1960 (BT 26) ......

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 May 20 02:09 BST (UK) »
I can see Ure HUBBARD and Ernest HUBBARD on the Electoral Registers for 77 Chalton St, St Pancras in 1922 and in 1923.     I am not familiar with detailed UK voting history, but I think that women aged over 30 were permitted to vote from about the end of WWI provided they also qualified under some property rules.    I think it was in the late 1920s that equal voting rights for males and females came about in the UK.

So if Ure and Ernest HUBBARD are enrolled to vote in 1922, and are still at same address for the 1923 rolls, and Ure had a baby whose birth was registered with GRO in Jan-March 1923, …. Errr …. To me, the question becomes :  Did Ure actually travel to Australia in 1922 or was the Ura V WARD on the 1922 passenger list someone else?

I have checked and checked and rechecked, the typed list lodged at Albany, in Feb 1922 for passengers on the Demosthenes definitely as
WARD
Alfred
Ura V.
Stephen

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 May 20 03:37 BST (UK) »
Can you please give some details to the story you are working with. It is starting to sound rather .......untidy.

"...(Ure Beatrice HOLDEN) married Alfred Ward in 1909, had 3 children before he went off to war in 1915."

What names for the three children?.

"She married again in 1917 as a widow her first husband arrived back the following year. I have been told that she was informed that he was missing, presumed dead, whereas in fact he was a POW".

Has anyone looked at the WW1 file for Alfred WARD?

I can see the 1917 marriage record on Ancestry.

What certificates do you have for BDM events for the people named in your research?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 May 20 03:43 BST (UK) »
https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/passenger-records-and-immigration/outwards-passenger-lists

This is the Public Records Office, Victoria, Australia.  Our shipping list indexes are a great place to start when you are searching for a family member. Did the person travel from Victoria to the United Kingdom, New Zealand or Foreign Ports between 1852 and 1923?

JM

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 May 20 04:46 BST (UK) »
Online trees have the son's name as Steven Claude WARD

Married Hilda Eileen BEEHAG NSW reg 11494/1945 Rockdale district

War record (not digitised) from NAA https://www.naa.gov.au/
WARD, Steven Claude
Service Number - NX8872
Born 23 Mar 1918, London, England
Enlisted Paddington NSW
Next of Kin - WARD, Edward
Item barcode 4848306

Died 1997
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/167513791

Hilda died 2008
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/167513832

M

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 May 20 04:58 BST (UK) »

PROV Unassisted Passenger List
https://prov.vic.gov.au/explore-collection/explore-topic/passenger-records-and-immigration

"Demosthenes"  arrived Melbourne  Feb 1922
WARD Alfred       34y      page 5       
WARD Ura          32y       page 5
WARD Stephen    1y        page 5

HOLDEN Sarah   49y       page 4
HOLDEN Harold  19y       page 4
HOLDEN Seth     13y       page 4
HOLDEN Dennis    5y      page 4

I confirm that the Stephen WARD on that passenger list that wivenhoe has kindly typed up is noted as aged 1.  The spelling on that list is Stephen with 'ph' and aged 1 year.  It is not Steven aged 4 years.

May I mention that the surname WARD is one of the more popular surnames.   

JM