Author Topic: Ure Beatrice Ward, left Australia 1922 for London  (Read 6700 times)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ure Beatrice Ward, left Australia 1922 for London
« Reply #36 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 00:56 BST (UK) »

Nominal Roll    https://nominal-rolls.dva.gov.au/
(1) WARD Edward Steven Alfred   N61061   b. 29 Dec 1895 Enlisted 18 Dec 1939 Paddington
Locality on enlisting Port Macquarie    NOK Victoria WARD POB Canada

I suggest you  ask on the Canada board if there is a record for this birth as well as any sign of the parental couple.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 01:16 BST (UK) »
NX10088, Edward Steven Alfred WARD signed his attestation form and other documents in his WWII service file readily available at no charge, online,
Pages 1, 2, 7, 10, 14, 15, 20.
There are photos of ESA Ward in that file.   He attested that his place of birth was Parry Sound, CANADA.  :)

ESA's Citizen Military Forces Dossier has not been digitised.  N61061.   There will be a fee due if you were to request a copy.   

https://www.naa.gov.au/explore-collection   use keywords NX10088 or N61061 or NX8872

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 01:29 BST (UK) »
According to NSW Electoral Roll, Victoria Mabel PERFREMENT was in NSW from at least 1913.

She lived at Limbri, Tamworth region and was with a number of others of the same surname.
I am happy to type up details if relevant.

Sue

Deleted
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 01:34 BST (UK) »
I don't think Victoria was born Canada.  I can see her likely NSW birth registered Tamworth district, 1890. #33349.   :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 01:43 BST (UK) »
I have heard from my 3rd cousin in Australia.

Edward Steven Alfred Ward and Alfred Ward are one and the same person.
He has sent me marriage details of 5 Sep 1925 marriage to Victoria Mabel Perfrement where he stated he was a widower.
He gave his parent's names as Charles Edward Ward and Mary Ann Maryon - he stated his place of birth was Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada. He gave his age as 36.

I have just received this and other documents, but as it is 01:41 I am going to try to get some sleep!

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 01:49 BST (UK) »
I have heard from my 3rd cousin in Australia.

Edward Steven Alfred Ward and Alfred Ward are one and the same person.
He has sent me marriage details of 5 Sep 1925 marriage to Victoria Mabel Perfrement where he stated he was a widower.
He gave his parent's names as Charles Edward Ward and Mary Ann Maryon - he stated his place of birth was Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada. He gave his age as 36.

I have just received this and other documents, but as it is 01:41 I am going to try to get some sleep!

Regards Margaret

That's good to know that you are confident they are one and the same, thanks for sharing. 

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 04:16 BST (UK) »
The plot thickens.
I will have to contact my Australian cousin to confirm.

However, what is known about Alfred Ward in England -

No birth registration found
From RNAF and RAF records he was born 29 Dec 1888 in Highbury, London
Service number 203593 or F3593, confirmed from medals in possession of my cousin.
He gave his next of kin when he joined up in 1915 as his sister, Nelly Varney. This places him as son of Charles Ward and 'Maryon'.

(This makes me think that Alfred Ward may have been separated from Ure Beatrice already)

If you look at the records, he was taken prisoner of war in Turkey in 1918, which fits in with Trove records for Edward Steven Ward.

I am going out shortly, will come back to this later, will speak to my contact to see whether this is his father and grandfather in the newspaper report.

Regards Margaret

The 'UK Royal Air Force Airmen Records' INDEX at Ancestry has the following info about Alfred WARD :
Birthdate 29 December 1888,  born Highbury, London N,  Middlesex, England.   Service Date 19 March 1915,  Service number 203593,  Next of Kin  Nellie VARNEY,  sister. 

ADD
Air Force Number 203593
Name WARD, A   
R.N.A.S.  or R.F.C. Trade Classification Gunlayer   
Remustered to Air Force Trade Classification Aerial Gunner   
R.N.A.S. Rating or R.F.C. Rank or Appointment P.O. 
New Rank in Air Force Sergeant   
Date of Joining 1/8/16   
Normal rate Air Force Pay 3s 3d   
Terms of Enlistment D.W.

JM

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 08:15 BST (UK) »
There are many, many inconsistencies.

However, the facts that tie them into being the same man are as follows

1) Enlistment 13 Sep 1906. Alfred Ward, dob 28 Dec 1888, born Highbury, London. Next of kin Sister Nellie Ward
2) Enlistment 19 Mar 1915. Alfred Ward, dob 29 Dec 1888 (1889 crossed through), born Highbury, London. Next of kin Nellie Varney, Address Police Station
3) Documents in cousin's possession name Harry and Nellie Varney named as relatives
4) Marriage 5 Sep 1925 states mother was Mary Ann Maryon

Eleanor Elizabeth Ward was born 9 Dec 1881, Bethnal Green, GRO MMN Myron

Harry Alfred Varney, Police Sergeant, married Eleanor Elizabeth Ward 27 Jul 1908

He has sent letters and telegrams which were sent to his grandmother Mrs E A Ward at Port Macquarie, when Steven Claude Ward went missing, then reported prisoner of war in Stalag, Germany, as per newspaper report.
He has a telegram from Bert Hinckley/Hinkley, mentioned in the newspaper report.
Bert Hinkley was based in same squadron as Alfred Ward, according to newspaper report and military records.

Where Parry Sound, Ontario, Canada fits in I'm not sure!!  But they are one and the same person.

He also sent Stephen Claude Ward birth cert - 23 Mar 1920, Queen Charlotte Hospital, St Marylebone, Father Alfred Ward, Mother Ure Beatrice Ward, formerly Holden.

Regards Margaret

STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 08:19 BST (UK) »
From RNAF and RAF records he was born 29 Dec 1888 in Highbury, London
He gave his next of kin when he joined up in 1915 as his sister, Nelly Varney. This places him as son of Charles Ward and 'Maryon'

That date of birth cannot be correct. Well, the year can't be.

Birth
WARD, LAURENCE       
Mother's Maiden Surname: MARYON 
GRO Reference: 1889  S Quarter in WEST HAM  Volume 04A  Page 145

Baptism, 6 Sep 1889, at St. Luke, Victoria Docks, of Lawrence Ward.
Parents Charles Samuel + Mary Ann Ward.
Born 16 June 1889 (ancestry transcript)
Small view!
https://www.essexarchivesonline.co.uk//ancestry.aspx?id=1494012

Death
June 1890 West Ham 4a 58
Ward, Lawrence
age 0