Author Topic: Ure Beatrice Ward, left Australia 1922 for London  (Read 6668 times)

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ure Beatrice Ward, left Australia 1922 for London
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 14:07 BST (UK) »
"There is nothing in that WWII file to confirm that ESA WARD and Alfred WARD are one and the same person. The letter from Steven is  about the WWII service and the official reply to that letter is also on that file.... Pages 23 and 22.  Steven's letter was written more than 11 years after his father's death."

I don't believe I said that the records confirmed that they were one and the same, I didn't mean even to imply it. What I said was -

"The WW2 records linked to give Edward Steven Alfred Ward's dob as 29 Dec 1896. As he admitted in the newspaper report to dying his hair brown to appear younger, this would appear to be a lie, one of many.

There is also a letter from S C Ward, 9, York Close, Yowie Bay, 2228, NSW, dated 6 Dec 1982 regarding his father's medals in the link provided earlier -
https://www.naa.gov.au/explore-collection "

I haven't had time to go through all the documents that Bob has sent me, as well as all the records in the above link, though I did see the replies to S C Ward's letter.

The Varney connection, POW in Turkey connection, Hinkley connection , especially the first, are enough to convince me, if not you.

But I don't need to convince anybody. I know that there are many unanswered anomalies here, Bob may have the answers to each and every one of them, having spent many years researching his father and paternal grandparents (Modified: or he may be as puzzled as the rest of us).

My reason for posting was as follows -

"Hoping that someone may be able to help me find a shipping record for Ure Beatrice Ward (possibly Holden or Hubbard) in 1922, returning from Australia to London, England"

The answer to that appears to be a resounding no.

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.go

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 14:19 BST (UK) »
Mr and Mrs Edward Steven WARD also had a daughter whose given name was significant.

Do you have her details?

Sue

No, I haven't, not sure if Bob has or not. What was her name?

Regards Margaret
STEER, mainly Surrey, Kent; PINNOCKS/HAINES, Gosport, Hants; BARKER, mainly Broadwater, Sussex; Gosport, Hampshire; LAVERSUCH, Micheldever, Hampshire; WESTALL, London, Reading, Berks; HYDE, Croydon, Surrey; BRIGDEN, Hadlow, Kent and London; TUTHILL/STEPHENS, London
WILKINSON, Leeds, Yorkshire and Liverpool; WILLIAMSON, Liverpool; BEARE, Yeovil, Somerset; ALLEN, Kent and London; GORST, Liverpool; HOYLE, mainly Leeds, Yorkshire

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
Well I am not wasting any more hours of my time on sugarfizzle. Or seconds even! One of the most ungrateful persons I have ever encountered on here.

Back to helping the nice people :)

I am very grateful for the help everybody has given me. I have found out a lot about Alfred Ward in the past few days, both from everyone here and from Bob, my 3rd cousin.

The information is conflicting and doesn't make proper sense, but it appears to be a pack of lies told by both Ure Beatrice Holden and Alfred Ward.

More so by Alfred, I think. He admits to altering his dob to appear younger (newspaper article), his mother's maiden name given as Maryon (marriage record), and his sister is given as Nellie Ward/Varney (military records), who in turn was daughter of Mary Ann Maryon and he has written in his own hand writing the names of Nellie and Harry Varney as sister and brother in law (documents in Bob's possession) These facts lead me to the conclusion that Alfred Ward and Edward Steven Alfred Ward are one and the same person.

I am very sorry if I have offended anyone.

Regards Margaret

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 00:17 BST (UK) »
Mr and Mrs Edward Steven WARD also had a daughter whose given name was significant.

Do you have her details?

Sue

No, I haven't, not sure if Bob has or not. What was her name?

Regards Margaret

I have sent PM to you. I cannot confirm her death, though I do see her possible marriage.
ADDING- There was a another son too.
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 02:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much Sue, what a find. I'll ask Bob if it tallies.

Regards Margaret

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 02:44 BST (UK) »
Can you please respond to these request.......

NSW BDM marriage
11494/1945 WARD Steven Claude    marr.   BEEHAG Hilda Eileen   @ Rockdale

What details does Steven give for himself and both his parents.

"Stephen Claude Ward birth cert - 23 Mar 1920, Queen Charlotte Hospital, St Marylebone, Father Alfred Ward, Mother Ure Beatrice Ward, formerly Holden."

Who is the informant for this birth record?

Also  -
Does Bob have the WW1 service file for Edward Steven WARD....the whole file. It would be useful to see what and when the government communicated to Ure about her husband.

Use Ancestry Canada census...1901...1911 (with birth dates)....1921.....to find WARD family, Parry Sound Canada. Father Edward E(rnest) born England ~1860.

Edward Steven WARD would seem to know about this family.

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 04:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you one and all.
Bob has just got back to me -

"Yes Aunty Maryon & Uncle Ronald, dads half sister & brother.
Mother Victoria married Sept. 1925 to Edward 2nd marriage.
Maryon married Don & Ronald married Shirley."

Maryon and Ronald were children from the second marriage, as above.

Regards Margaret

Offline sugarfizzle

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 04:22 BST (UK) »
Can you please respond to these request.......

NSW BDM marriage
11494/1945 WARD Steven Claude    marr.   BEEHAG Hilda Eileen   @ Rockdale

What details does Steven give for himself and both his parents.

"Stephen Claude Ward birth cert - 23 Mar 1920, Queen Charlotte Hospital, St Marylebone, Father Alfred Ward, Mother Ure Beatrice Ward, formerly Holden."

Who is the informant for this birth record?

Also  -
Does Bob have the WW1 service file for Edward Steven WARD....the whole file. It would be useful to see what and when the government communicated to Ure about her husband.

Use Ancestry Canada census...1901...1911 (with birth dates)....1921.....to find WARD family, Parry Sound Canada. Father Edward E(rnest) born England ~1860.

Edward Steven WARD would seem to know about this family.

I have no idea regarding the first query.
Ure Beatrice Ward formerly Holden was the informant on Stephen's birth certificate.
There is something written on Alfred's WW1 file which is difficult to read.
Something to the effect of
'If this man dies ..... missing.....'

Don't know if anyone can read it better than I can.

However, if he gave Nellie Varney as his next of kin , wouldn't they inform her, rather than Ure?

Thanks for the info re Canadian family, will take a look later.

Another sleepless night, it's 04:22 here in UK!

Offline matthewj64

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 08:12 BST (UK) »

There is something written on Alfred's WW1 file which is difficult to read.
Something to the effect of
'If this man dies ..... missing.....'

Don't know if anyone can read it better than I can.

However, if he gave Nellie Varney as his next of kin , wouldn't they inform her, rather than Ure?

I had also wondered about this.

Snip attached

From: The National Archives of the UK; Kew, Surrey, England; Royal Navy Registers of Seamen's Services; Class: ADM 188; Piece: 567