Author Topic: Help with an address please  (Read 769 times)

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help with an address please
« Reply #27 on: Monday 25 May 20 14:15 BST (UK) »
I've tried looking up newspaper ads for rentals in Hanway St (no 10 was the address of the family taken in by the workhouse) but so far not found relevant ads  Also referring back to my earlier query about use of SE etc, the area of London was given as an initial i.e. W

So far:

WANTED, Drummer (Side) Must be First Class. Orchestra preferred. To teach Child. Apply, 10, Hanway-street, Second Floor, W. 
17 November 1900 - The Era - London, London, England

I suspect that was not my family, but it does indicate that the address was divided into flats.

This one amused me:
WANTED, Several Ladies, useful to Living Pictures. Write particulars and measure to VOLAPUK, 2, Hanway-street, Tottenham-court-road.
21 April 1900 - The Era - London, London, England
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 25 May 20 14:29 BST (UK) »
I found this ad in the London Eve Standard for 10 Hanway in Feb 1902, after the family had gone to the workhouse and the mother committed to the asylum.

No clues as to the owner as it refers to solicitors only.  Pity. 
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 27 May 20 11:16 BST (UK) »
I have found further adverts for auctions of houses in Hanway St, including 10 and 12 as one lot.  These came up for auction in 1897, 1898, and 1902 (yet to search the intermediate years).  They were advertised as investment opportunities, each with basement, shop, and two more floors let as flats.  It would appear from the frequent auctioning that they weren't bringing in the promised returns.  I've also found [edit: to let] ads for no. 10 three times in 1898 so either it remained empty or it had a high turnover of tenants.

So mystery Mr Maunder was probably only an owner for a short while, but I would have expected him to be eligible, as a property owner, to be in electoral registers, possibly for the constituency that Hanway St was in (I think it was Bloomsbury) in addition to his own area, but he is not popping up in the searches so far.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 20 July 20 13:34 BST (UK) »
Similarly perhaps the SE, which is not very clear, is something else, such as a number, eg 5 something, or another abbreviation such as J something, perhaps referring to Mr Maunder rather than the address?

I looked at the rest of the document and 5 is fairly clear, and I couldn't find anything that looked like those 'SE' letters.  E could be C but is formed differently consistently in the doc.  Actually I wonder if this was added later by another writer because it doesn't match anything. 

Is it something that means 'paid'?  The doc details the rent owed to him, and elsewhere it states who paid the arrears.

I'm now wondering if SE just means settled expenses, since there was rent owing on the flat, and the brother in law paid it.  The SE looks like it's been added later.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 22 July 20 09:51 BST (UK) »
Cracked it!  SE means, I think, seized effects.  In another Board of Guardians' ledger, the children's record, it summarises the mother's committal to the asylum and at the end states that the landlord took possession of effects for arrears of rent

But this doesn't solve the Mr Maunders mystery. Unless of course it did mean SE and the address was an error i.e. Belmont not Belsize, and it was John Maunders, as mentioned before by ShaunJ.

Or it was Mr Maunders of Belmont Park, which just happens to be in the SE district, but SE was not referring to the address but to seized effects.

Is or was there a house named Hilltop/Hill Top in Belmont Park?
Crook, Bannister, Warren