Author Topic: Help with an address please  (Read 1394 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with an address please
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 May 20 23:53 BST (UK) »
I did a quick check in the London tel directories for circa 1901 but couldn't find a suitable Mr Maunder(s)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 25 May 20 08:38 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget.  That made me think about Kelly's or other directories for other years. 

It is an odd way to abbreviate Park as PK. I'd expect it to be Pk.   Perhaps it isn't Belsize at all and PK means something else.

Similarly perhaps the SE, which is not very clear, is something else, such as a number, eg 5 something, or another abbreviation such as J something, perhaps referring to Mr Maunder rather than the address?

I looked at the rest of the document and 5 is fairly clear, and I couldn't find anything that looked like those 'SE' letters.  E could be C but is formed differently consistently in the doc.  Actually I wonder if this was added later by another writer because it doesn't match anything. 

Is it something that means 'paid'?  The doc details the rent owed to him, and elsewhere it states who paid the arrears.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 May 20 08:49 BST (UK) »
It may be useful for me to look at the adjoining pages for records of others (this is the admissions record for St Pancras Board of Guardians, District No 7, 1901,  Folio 214, which is image 216 of 313 - I found it under Settlement Papers on Ancestry) to see if similar annotations/abbreviations are used, as the records were probably written by the same person (Relieving Officer Lock - whose handwriting has sent me cross-eyed!).

I don't think it's permissible to display the original here, but I could PM it to anyone who is interested.  Plus my attempt at transcribing it.

I'll see if there are any references to Maunder in newspapers too.
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 May 20 09:09 BST (UK) »
If it was for admissione to the  St Pancras workhouse, then Belsize Park might be covered by that jurisdiction

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/StPancras/

Belsize Park is north of Chalk Farm so I would have thought that Hampstead would be the closest:

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Hampstead/

I'm not sure about arrangements for admission in the London Workhouses.  It doesn't explain the S. E or whatever though  :-\
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 May 20 10:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget

Sorry I didn't give all the details. Maunder was not admitted to the workhouse.  It was his tenant who lived in Hanway St.

I did wonder if SE is something like JP or another status but would expect that to be written after his name not at the end of the address. 

Val
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 May 20 10:59 BST (UK) »
this is the admissions record for St Pancras Board of Guardians, District No 7, 1901,  Folio 214, which is image 216 of 313

I can't find it from that information - can you post a link? Or give the name of the person who was admitted?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ValJJJ

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 May 20 11:03 BST (UK) »
Sorry here is the full link:
London, England, Poor Law and Board of Guardian Records, 1430-1930,
Borough: Camden,
Union: St Pancras,
Choose Settlement Papers from drop down menu, then
Record of Applications: District No 7, 1901,
Folio 214, which is image 216 of 313.

this isn't digitised so you have to scroll the images.  The family admitted were Campbell.

I looked at the previous entry and at the bottom of the left-hand page, it said 'Settled'.  Whether that refers to the matter being completed, money being paid, or the family being housed, I don't know.  SE might be Settled something?
Crook, Bannister, Warren

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 25 May 20 11:21 BST (UK) »
I wonder what the “elaborate electrical frictional machine” is.   (Bottom right of RH page)