Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 24th May  (Read 562 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 24th May
« on: Sunday 24 May 20 22:34 BST (UK) »
Here I am again, turning up early.

First of all, I've said it on the dedicated thread but once again won't hurt, Happy birthday to Viktoria.  :D

Diary:

Haven't done much today. Woke a little bit later, gave in and washed my hair today. No-one to see it but I don't like the feel of it if it's not clean.

Garden waste bin was emptied today, brought it through to the back and put all the excess stuff in it that I'd had stacked in the garden, it was half full again. It was still windy but nowhere near as bad as the last couple of days so decided to try and rectify the damage to the fence coverings. Removed the torn plastic sheeting, such a mess, then fastened the new one on with cable ties but I must not have fastened them right as they soon came undone. Decided I'd have to tie them on with string. While I was doing that I heard the nosey nasty neighbour (NNN) at the front, then within a couple of minutes she came along the path at the other side of the fence supposedly to put something in the bin. I knew she was still there snooping so I put the bins back and slammed one against the fence, she couldn't help exclaiming. I'm so sick of being spied on. Left my tools outside and came indoors. 

Made amendments to my supermarket order, due for delivery tomorrow.

Went back outside and completed what I was doing as NNN had gone back indoors.

Had lunch then went for my walk, the path through the woods was littered with debris from the trees, kicked some of the larger pieces off the path, don't want any cyclists coming a cropper. Was thinking it would be quieter tomorrow as it's Monday but of course it's bank holiday so unlikely to be quiet.

Spent the rest of the afternoon on the phone to friends. My friend who lives near the beach said it's mobbed down there again despite the weather being mostly cloudy. The council decided to shut the car parks but it just means that people are parking in the high street and in residential streets. That wouldn't matter so much if people behaved themselves but a lot of them don't maintain social distancing or consider others in any way. A couple had parked their car on the slipway the other day, the handbrake didn't hold it and it rolled onto the beach. They tried to drive it off and inevitably got stuck in the sand, a fisherman pulled the car out with his tractor. What idiots for parking on the slipway anyway, it's not unknown for people to park on the lifeboat slipway, they're even worse.

Haven't done anything else today, oh well there'll be another day pretty much the same tomorrow.

RTL, hope your shift hasn't been to onerous.
Pat, thanks for the tips about making face masks with ties.
Hope everyone is well and had a decent day.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 24th May
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 May 20 00:48 BST (UK) »
I too have posted on the dedicated page but just in case

🎉Happy Birthday Viktoria 🎉

Roobarb- pity your neighbours nose wasn't close to your fence when you slammed the lid of your bin down!

Today's Diary

I'm sure if I were to read all the days I've written a diary you wouldn't be able to tell what day it was as the comments would all be pretty much the same!
Woke up really early and couldn't get back to sleep so thought I'd check and see if I could get a Waitrose c & c slot... earliest one Thursday.... between 7-8pm... not an ideal time to go but no choice really!
Managed to drift off for a while before getting up at reasonable time..
Still windy when I got up and all the leaves that have blown off the trees are all piled up on next doors driveway! Quite a few branches down from ours and neighbours trees.
I know it's Sunday today because the paper was lying on the mat.... it seems to get thinner every week but the price is the same!
Went and sat in the conservatory with my breakfast and read the papers... so like our normal Sundays!
By this time it was lunch time had some more of OH's yummy bread!
Decided to go up to my work room and make the tops I cut out yesterday, OH still trying to finish jigsaw!
Had a chat via whatspp with friend who works at Gatwick, she said more passenger flights coming in now and looks like easyJet and whiz going to start up soon.
Finished all three tops... OH called up to ask if we were having dinner tonight! Oh blimey got totally carried away with sewing and listening to the radio all about care homes and how government had got figures earlier than first said!
Dinner ... right ... had got gammon joint was going to cook but now gone 6pm and too late to start cooking that so got some meatballs out made sauce to go with them and jacket pots.... phew didn't take too long to cook!
Watched tv... Antiques Roadshow, Killing Eve weird programme that one! Then caught programme all about Tommy Cooper.... he was a funny man! Humour today not the same... they showed some of the film he made 'The Plank' if anyone remembers it...
Time for bed, on RC then a read...

Another day bites the dust... think I'm going to go for a walk tomorrow!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 20 02:03 BST (UK) »
Love “The Plank” Caroline - so clever. “Everyone” was in that if I remember correctly. It would be interesting to see it again to see if it stands the test of time.  :)

Roobarb, have you tried a bit of reverse psychology with your NNN? When you see her outside say hello, or give her a wave, if she is within earshot ask her how she is, general small talk?

I know it will grate to do that, but it could either a) get her to scuttle off inside to avoid a conversation with you, or b) make her realise that you are worth getting to know and being nice to. In turn this might also prevent her damaging your plants in the future.

(By the way, I would avoid the topic of plants altogether (at least do not mention your ivy and clematis), and go to any lengths to avoid any topics which have the potential to escalate, and agree with her even if you don’t, just to smooth things over. Very difficult I know ....)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 May 20 06:50 BST (UK) »
Although, it would no doubt feel difficult, I think that reverse psychology idea sounds like a good one.

I hope you enjoy your Bank holiday walk today Roobarb - hope it won't be too busy out there.  The weather looks glorious. 

I hope you enjoy your walk too Caroline you deserve a break from all your industry with the sewing.  You have done so much for others with all this sewing work! When I clap I am also clapping for people like you who are working to keep people safe with ppe items.

I was quite tired by the time I got in last night Roo, and am still feeling a bit tired now en route to an early shift.   Will keep trying to catch up with my own diary as I get time.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 May 20 07:53 BST (UK) »
Such a punishing regime you go through RTL.  I have been there, and done that, and I know how it wipes you out.

Caroline there is a big statue to Tommy Cooper in Caerphilly. He has a lovely rabbit at his feet.  You might google it in images, if you feel like it.

Saturday I was vastly amused to watch a live video screening of my son with his daughters, exploding a water melon in their garden.  He was calling it "home schooling with dad" and it was a science lesson!  It took 1050 elastic bands to compress sufficiently for the melon to burst, but I am not aware that anyone discussed forces, and why the explosion had happenend. However they really enjoyed the experience, and I'm sure they will remember it.

I am happy to report that the beach did not appear overly busy, despite the sun shine, although it was far too cold to sit out on Saturday, but Sunday was very pleasant, and I was able to observe several of the neighbours clearly flouting the guidelines.  Then my newly widowed SiL arrived, uninvited, for a cuppa, and what could we do?  No hugs and left the balcony doors wide open!

Our local car parks and some public toilets have been re-opened, and a few more shops. There has to be a balance found and a new normal, but I don't go out at the busiest times.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 25 May 20 08:47 BST (UK) »
Just a quick response to comments....

RTL - you're very kind and complimentary about my sewing, I've always been a person who does and sewing is in my blood! It is you who deserves the compliments for all the hard work you're doing with a stressful journey to work and then long hours at work followed by more travel home. That's why you all deserved the clapping we do weekly.

Mowsehouse- I looked up the statue of Tommy, it's a remarkable one and I love the rabbit at his feet. How difficult for you having your SiL turn up!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 25 May 20 09:05 BST (UK) »
Extremely difficult yes. :-X
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 25 May 20 22:45 BST (UK) »
Ruskie and RTL, thank you for your suggestions about reverse psychology. Please don't think I'm just being negative about this but there are reasons why that wouldn't work.

There's a long history to this situation, there are some things I can't go into details about but will try to give an explanation. The neighbour in question used to be very friendly towards me, in fact looking back perhaps too friendly, I couldn't escape from her even after a long conversation and she always wanted to know the far end of everything. I helped her with a number of things, as did my then partner. Something then happened that I'm pretty sure she was the culprit, although no doubt it was accidental. She denied all knowledge and some of the things she came out with were quite frankly ridiculous. I tried to turn the conversation round to other things but she kept coming back to it with increasingly ridiculous comments - the phrase about the lady protesting too much came to mind. She also made some very nasty comments. Even at that stage I attempted to get along with her for the sake of a peaceful life but it soon became apparent that she was completely ignoring me if I saw her outside. I think that's because she can't face me, knowing what she has done and not only not admitting it but being thoroughly nasty.  If I spoke to her now (which I have no wish to do after the way she behaved towards me) I'm sure she would just ignore me.

I've tried throughout this to behave in a decent way, without intending to sound immodest I think I'm a nice person and I've always got along with my neighbours. Her sheer nastiness has had a big effect on me as you are aware from my posts. Poisoning my plants is beyond the pale. I don't even want to get along with her any more, I just want her to leave me alone. I don't think there's an answer to the situation, I think the only thing that will make it better for me is a change to the situation I find myself in and am able to go out and have the confidence to do so.

Thank you all for your kindness once again.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 00:32 BST (UK) »
There seems to be too much history to make peace. Your feelings are understandable Roobarb  ...