Author Topic: O'Brien family from Newmarket  (Read 1381 times)

Offline adamjack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
O'Brien family from Newmarket
« on: Monday 25 May 20 01:34 BST (UK) »
Hello

My ancestor Margaret O'Brien and her brother Michael emigrated from Ireland to Australia in 1841. On the ship's passenger list they are both recorded as being from Newmarket, Co. Clare. Michael's age is listed as 23 and Margaret's age was 18. The passenger list also stated their parents names. Their father's name was listed as Denis O'Brien for both of them, but Michael's mother was listed as Kate Powell while Margaret's mother was listed as Margaret Power. Both parents were listed as deceased.

Unless they had different mothers, it's possible that Margaret's mother's name was incorrectly listed as also being Margaret and Power and Powell could be easily confused as they sound so similar. I've checked the NLI parish registers site and it appears that the registers for Newmarket-on-Fergus did not start until 1828, so they are too late for Michael and Margaret's baptisms. However, I am wondering if they had any siblings baptised after the registers commenced or if Denis and Kate/Margaret's burials (died by 1841) can be found. I've searched on Findmypast but found nothing. I haven't gone through the registers on the NLI site yet.

Does anyone know of any other way I can find records of this family?
Many thanks
Adam

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Brien family from Newmarket
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 May 20 06:19 BST (UK) »
Clare County Library's genealogy section is always worth a look
http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coclare/genealogy/genealog.htm

Offline adamjack

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: O'Brien family from Newmarket
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 20 09:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you Sinann, I will check out their resources.