Author Topic: Donald + Wainwood McDonald Tibbermore Perthshire c 1800s  (Read 440 times)

Offline LeNeve

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Donald + Wainwood McDonald Tibbermore Perthshire c 1800s
« on: Monday 25 May 20 12:55 BST (UK) »
I am looking for a couple that I’m quite sure shall remain a mystery.

They went by Donald and Wainwood McDonald. They married 1776 Tibbermore, Perthshire. I think Donald died 1809 and Wainwood 1821.

They had children
Janet
Margaret
David
Alexander
Helen Stewart
Ann m John Nicol

I’ve seen Donald’s name as Daniel on another record that I couldn’t find at the time of writing this and Wainwood as Winwood

I don’t think anybody will be able to help me find who this couple was as there seems to be ALOT of Donald McDonalds and Wainwood around the area at the same time but I thought I’d post about them anyway

Any help would be appreciated :)

Offline Geoff

• RootsChat Veteran
  • TV, great add for Radio
    • View Profile
Re: Donald + Wainwood McDonald Tibbermore Perthshire c 1800s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 00:21 BST (UK) »
Hi LeNeve,
You will often see Donald and Daniel for the same person, i suppose it's a bit like John & Jack, they are interchangeable. As for Wainwood & Winwood, this could be one of those brogue interpretations of what the listener is hearing.
I'm saying they are the same person as well.

Cheers
Geoff
** Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk **
Martlock, Pilton, Doubting & Frome:
MASTERS, PORCH, BOULTON, HACKETT,
Combe Hay, HINTON, WEEKS,
Perthshire: CRICHTON, TAYLOR, MOON, IRONS, KIDD
Durham, FENWICK, PUNSHON, EDDY, HENRY aka LAVERICK
Northumberland, BUCHANAN, HODGSON, HALL,
Lincoln: MASKEY,BIRD,FISHER,HARLEY,
Cambridgeshire, CROSS, FOREMAN, FREEMAN, ONG,
FEAST, MOXON
Gloucestershire, HILL, COX, NEWELL
Sussex, CHAPMAN, NEVE, DOWNER
Surrey, NEWELL, WEBB,

Offline LeNeve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 15:06 BST (UK) »
Yea, This is one of the main reasons ive struggled to locate births for them. I’ve found births the right time frames and areas for every variation of name that you could think of!

This might be a stupid question, but both their surnames are McDonald on the marriage cert. so McDonald would have been her surname too right? I remember getting a marriage certificate back once and the maiden wasn’t what it was Bcos the lady had been married before....

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 15:36 BST (UK) »
This might be a stupid question, but both their surnames are McDonald on the marriage cert. so McDonald would have been her surname too right? I remember getting a marriage certificate back once and the maiden wasn’t what it was Bcos the lady had been married before....
This is too early to be a marriage certificate. Marriage certificates are part of the statutory civil registration system that began in 1855.

Generally speaking, in a Scottish marriage record the bride's surname will normally be her maiden surname, even if she was married before.

Searching the old parish registers on SP for given name w*n*w*d produces 12 marriages and 19 baptisms, with nine different spellings.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline LeNeve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 18:20 BST (UK) »
Oh ok...yea I did the wildcard on sp. there’s a few winewoods of various spellings like you say, but none have the surname of McDonald.

On family search it’s recorded twice, once 3rd Feb and once 22nd Feb both 1776.

I would’ve thought Winwood was an uncommon name as I’ve never heard it before....