Author Topic: Johnstons of Greenlaw  (Read 1919 times)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
Johnstons of Greenlaw
« on: Monday 25 May 20 18:47 BST (UK) »
James Johnston, son of Andrew Johnston, a weaver and Sarah Mitchell was born 14th October 1798.

No marriage at Greenlaw for the parents, but I`ve found a marriage of an Andrew Johnston and Sara Mitchell at Canongate 8th March 1793.

Is this likely ?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Johnatons of Greenlaw
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 May 20 19:34 BST (UK) »
Yes, why not?

The original marriage record from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk might shed some more light on why they married in Edinburgh.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Johnstons of Greenlaw
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 May 20 19:47 BST (UK) »
I`ll do that tomorrow. I`ve been days on this ! I`ve got lists, spreadsheets,etc -losing the plot a bit !

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 May 20 23:03 BST (UK) »
Cannon Gate is in Berwick
Berwick is not far from Duns

Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 07:16 BST (UK) »
Cannon Gate is in Berwick
Quite possibly, but the marriage record is from the register of marriages in the parish of Canongate, which is in Edinburgh.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 08:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry about that I didn’t know of the Edinburgh one Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 11:57 BST (UK) »
It's actually quite interesting.

Berwick is a fortified town, and I speculate that the origin of the name Cannon Gate has to do with cannons, as in large guns.

The Edinburgh Canongate, however, refers to canons, as in clergymen.

Also 'gate' in this case isn't from gate as in entrance to something, but an alternative spelling of 'gait', which is the same usage as 'gata' in Scandinavia, where it means a street.

Sorry, that's a bit off topic.

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 14:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all of that!

I`m doing a narrative version of all my families and for this particular one I decided just to check a bit further. For ages I had stopped at this baptism, no marriage in Greenlaw for Andrew and Sarah, but doesn`t mean there wasn`t one ! There is baptism for an Andrew Johnston at Fogo in 1758,a possibility.

I`ve got a list of Johnstons/Johnstouns in Greenlaw going back to 1723 for baptisms, obviously a family there years before James 1798.

(I need to bring my debit card to my pc to buy more credits for SP, my pc is upstairs and I don`t remember until I sit down !)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 26 May 20 19:40 BST (UK) »
More credits !!

From SP:

8th March 1793

Andrew Johnston, weaver, Canongate and Sara Mitchell, daughter of Robert Mitchell, labourer in Pleasance gave up their names to be proclaimed for marriage.

The only things I know for sure is "my" Andrew Johnston was a weaver, and an Andrew Johnston and Sarah Mitchell were parents of James Johnston.